• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Foxglove Covert, N. Yorkshire - a day out ringing birds. (1 Viewer)

IanF

On Saturday 19th April, I had my first proper introduction to ringing birds. Bird Forum's ElAnnie is a trainee ringer and invited me over to look around the ringing centre at Foxglove Covert Nature Reserve, Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire. A big thankyou to Annie :t:

The Nature Reserve opened in 1992 is set within the Garrison on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales. Public access is pretty restricted, giving an ideal controlled conservation area. Within the reserve is a purpose built ringing and conservation centre set midst 30 hectares of mixed and coniferous woodland, wetland, ponds, open rough grassland and heaths. A circular path of one and a half miles meanders through the reserve.

Our business was about ringing the birds though. An early start was required, with me having to set off from home at 6.00 am to make the 7.00 am meeting point at the barracks gates. I'd just arrived and was chatting with Annie when the leader, Major Tony Prest arrived and led us in convoy to the reserve.

Seven of us were there - Annie, Tony, Mark, Winifred, Stewart and Peter. Tony being a Class A permit holder with Mark almost having gained his Class C and everyone else at various stages of training.

After friendly introductions we set about raising the mist nets at about a dozen locations around the reserve. The nets are around 30 yards long and reaching up to 10' high. Often two or three nets are placed in each location, which were spread out over circuit of about a mile. Once erected and checked we returned to base for a coffee and chit chat. I was amazed by the friendliness and camaraderie among the group who accepted me right off, including Annie who I'd never actually met before, seemed a life long friend.

Once the nets were up, the regimen was set for the day. On return to base a timer was set for twenty minutes before the nets had to be checked. It was a cold day so hypothermia was a concern for the birds. In addition some species such as Bullfinch and Wren are more at risk than others when left in the nets so they are always tackled first.

Throughout the day I tagged along making circuits of the nets with everyone. Usually we were in two different teams, doing a half circuit each to cover the nets as quickly as possible and then meeting back at base where the birds would be examined.

On each trip we would recover six to ten birds of assorted species. I was amazed at just how much patience and concentration were needed to release the birds from the nets. Most birds fly straight into the nets so head and wings get trapped first. Obviously the birds need to be carefully removed backward. Some just about tumbled out of the nets, but others needed much effort to remove the tangled netting. I was surprised how docile most species were in the hand. Great Tits and Blue Tits being the exception - they are little fighters.

Once collected the birds are placed in cloth bags with draw strings and fastened to one of two climber's karabiners around the ringer's neck. One being pink to hold precious birds and the other one blue to hold everything else. The precious birds being the likes of the Bullfinch, Wren and Goldcrest. Back at the ringing station the precious ones are processed first. Fortunately I had no problems with identifying the species collected but sexing and ageing of birds was all new to me. I found the only true way to differentiate the likes of Marsh and Willow Tit was by examination in the hand. Separating Willows Warblers and Chiffchaff other than by song was by counting 'notches' in the primary feathers and examining the leading edges carefully.

The birds were first of all given a new ring if they hadn't already got one. The ring details were recorded, as was the species, sex, maximum length of primary feather (a good indication of sex in some species), weight and whether a brood patch was present indicating they had a nest they were tending. Many birds did. Normally many of the birds that get caught have been ringed previously but with so many Willow Warblers having just returned, quite a few that day were new ones. All in all we must have had around sixty birds that day. Species included Song Thrush, Wren, Long Tailed Tit, Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Redpoll, Coal Tit, Bullfinch, Goldcrest, Marsh Tit, Siskin and Greenfinch. Whilst we heard plenty of Chiffchaff, I don't think we trapped any.

Having planned on staying just a few hours, I actually ended up staying until finishing time at 5.30 pm. I'd enjoyed the day so much that I couldn't get enough of it. Believe me after all the fresh air and exercise I slept well that night and most of the next morning.

I took a few photos, but really I was too distracted by being so close to the birds and being allowed to handle a few.

ElAnnie in action
Willow Warbler
Chaffinch
Goldcrest
Common Redpoll
Blue Tit being released from nets
Trainee ringers, Winifred and Peter

Ian that was really fascinating stuff. I saw a little bit of ringing at the Lee Valley Country Park Bird Fair, but I am really an ignoramus about ringing. So thanks for opening my eyes a little!

That's a smashing report Ian and the pics are fab, specially the Goldcrest! It was a pleasure to have you visit!
Annie :)

Ian that was very well put together report a most enjoyable read you must be over the moon to find all the ringing group so helpfull. ( just great.) all the best wal-m.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back