• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new system (1 Viewer)

capdegat

I've just moved over from nikon to xt2+100-400 and have just had first day out. to say I'm impressed is ....
I took a lot more shots than normal as I wanted to test and wasn't sure about anything !
I now have so many keepers I don't know which to bin .
Weather helped and we were at bempton cliffs where all the birds love photos especially the gannets.
The af I ended up with was continuous single point which worked well when I got used to it. The evf ( I do have battey grip ) was much better than anything I've used before .
Fuji colours - just stunning
some examples

Attachments

• LD170081.jpg
    LD170081.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 320
  • LD170234.jpg
    LD170234.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 298
  • LD170496.jpg
    LD170496.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 276
  • LD170484.jpg
    LD170484.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 243
  • LD170126.jpg
    LD170126.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 204
Les,

I note from another thread that you were previously using a Nikon D500 with 300mm PF VR, 1.4 TC and 200-500.

Am I correct in understanding that you'd completely ditched the DSLR kit in favour of the Xt2?

I'd been thinking about replacing my D7100 with a D500, whilst acknowledging that this might be my last ever DSLR purchase as the mirrorless technology is making so many advances. All I have read about the Xt2 intrigues me and makes me think that moving to that instead of the D500 is a realistic option.

I will watch this thread with interest.

Best wishes,

Dave

I fancied a change !
Birding isn't as important as it was and I decided that d500 is now overkill . I am still not as happy with the sensor as with the d7200 but majority of people prefer it .
Fuji sensor is great - still getting to grips with camera .
100-400mm lens is superb and seems to take extender well .
this tern could be sharper but still getting used to camera.

Attachments

• LD170760.jpg
    LD170760.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 436
I'm not sure what you mean by alternative raw decoders but I tried it on LR6 and ON1 and the guy on the web used a different one as well, so has to be the system to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by alternative raw decoders but I tried it on LR6 and ON1 and the guy on the web used a different one as well, so has to be the system to me.

Lightroom's Adobe converter/decoder has had issues with Fuji RAW files since Fuji went to X-Trans.

I've been shooting Fuji since the day the X100 hit the shelves but haven't needed to do much RAW conversion. For Digiscoping I've started using Iridient (Windows version) converting in batch. It is good.

I'm assuming that the mechanical shutter was being used and the IS turned off for the faster shutter speeds?

... I've been shooting Fuji since the day the X100 hit the shelves ...

In my younger days I was bitten by the photography bug. I acquired the Olympus OM system and shot Fuji X100 and Agfachrome -- films that I liked more than the Kodak film products. I still long for the Fuji and Agfa colors of the natural world.

And then ... I discovered the interactive world of binoculars and spotting scopes.

|8.|

re post 1,
2,3 and 5 are quite good

2 is kinda great actually

1 and 4 not so much, poor lighting

Fuji jpegs are very good indeed. I'm not sold on Fuji being a better system than either Nikon or Canon for wildlife however.

In my younger days I was bitten by the photography bug. I acquired the Olympus OM system and shot Fuji X100 and Agfachrome -- films that I liked more than the Kodak film products. I still long for the Fuji and Agfa colors of the natural world.

And then ... I discovered the interactive world of binoculars and spotting scopes.

|8.|

Whilst in college I had the pleasure of using one of the first OM-1s in the U.S. and was very impressed. 20 years later I replaced my Nikon MF gear with used OM stuff. Currently I use Fuji gear, though I have Nikon D500 & D7200 with Sigma lenses 120-300 and 150-600.

As per your bino/scope comment; late yesterday afternoon I went to the zoo for another digiscoping practice session. After a little over 150 frames (three ended up acceptable) I pulled the camera off the scope and spend some time just looking at the birds. Nice way to end the day.

Chatting online a couple of years ago with a friend just back from safari (and who had a difficult time with his photos) I opined thus: If someone offered me a once-in-a-lifetime safari but with the condition I could bring one camera with a big-a## lens OR one pair of really good binoculars (but not both), I would pick the binoculars.

Fuji jpegs are very good indeed. I'm not sold on Fuji being a better system than either Nikon or Canon for wildlife however.

Most of my shooting these days is with a pretty decent Fuji kit, but your point on wildlife is well taken. You know a company probably thinks that market is important when they include a 300mm f/2.8 in their lineup -- and a constant aperture long zoom as well. That's why I still keep my Nikon kit. I wish the market was big enough for Sigma to pursue a license for Fuji X.

P.S. The signature shot of the spider was shot with the D7200 and Sigma 150-600. Full frame at:https://www.flickr.com/photos/38649302@N04/20957083794/in/album-72157656199839899/

Last edited:
Kevin
I threw a bit more light on those pics for you . I was very tempted with the x-h1 but once bitten etc.
I am now back to my d850 but can't carry a big lens so have just received a sigma 100-400 mm. Really sharp especially for the price

Attachments

• LD170484a.jpg
    LD170484a.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 63
  • LD170081 copy.jpg
    LD170081 copy.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back