• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Estonia March 2009 (1 Viewer)

nickyb

Hi,
We are heading to Estonia for 5 days 11th-16th March 2009, would appreciate any guidance or reccommendations for any guides....we plan to see Steller Eiders and have sites for these, but Owl's, Hazel hens etc we may require some additional help to maximise our time....any help greatly appreciated....
Nick
www.freewebs.com/widerscoped

Yes, it is possible to get a guide through our company Natourest. You may take a look at our winter or early spring tour profiles, but we can also provide tailor-made tour - e.g. in order to see Hazel Hen, Owls and woodpeckers it is better to stay a couple of days on mainland, as some species are rare in Saaremaa island.
You can sen an email to me directly - you can find me on my profile page on the company website.
With best,
Rein

Hi all,

I am also planning a short trip to Estonia during March (19-23) with my 8 friends. I have already been to Estonia and generally I know the places which we want to see. Our main target is to see Steller's Eiders on Saaremaa. Does anybody which place is the best to leave a car and go looking for birds? In one of trip reports in Internet I found opinion that a guy wanted to check Undva's vicinities but he failed because of the poor orientation and not very well roads.

In our plans we have Saaremaa (Undva and Sorve Peninsula), Haapsalu, Matsalu watchtower and Spithami (Posaspea Cape). I know that March is a little bit to early for majority of migrants, but do you think that there is a chance for Great Northern or Yellow-billed Diver in Spithami?

If anyone knows some interesting places worth visiting in this period in Läänemaa, I will be very gratefull for information

> I am also planning a short trip to Estonia during March (19-23) with my 8
>friends. I have already been to Estonia and generally I know the places
>which we want to see. Our main target is to see Steller's Eiders on
>Saaremaa. Does anybody which place is the best to leave a car and go >looking for birds?

You can basically drive to Undva and look at the Steller's from car window. ;)I'm personally planning a trip to Saarenmaa (with weather-reservation…) at March 12-16 and I can check the locations and send you latest information about the Eider situation? The roads should be OK.

>In our plans we have Saaremaa (Undva and Sorve Peninsula), Haapsalu,
>Matsalu watchtower and Spithami (Posaspea Cape). I know that March is
>a little bit to early for majority of migrants, but do you think that there is
>a chance for Great Northern or Yellow-billed Diver in Spithami?

OK. If I may suggest - skip birding at mainland and concentrate on Saarenmaa. Haapsalu and Matsalu bays are frozen and there are quite few birds around (anywhere at that area). Migration at Spitham is also very quiet at that time of year. The only reason to do birding at mainland at March would be a wish to see woodpeckers, owls etc. But then you should head more East and inland. Or if you wan't to show the country to visitors. ;)

But there are plenty of birds at Saarenmaa at March, both local and migrating. You can’t find this information (places or species) at web, but if you are interested, I can send you more detailed information? And the best changes to find those Divers at March is definitely at Saarenmaa (or Hiiumaa).

Hannu

Hi,

i think we will aplly to Your advice. Also from another source I have heard that not only Saaremaa but also Hiumaa can be very interesting in this part of year.

I will be very gratefull for any news about Estonian birds in March.
Best greetings
Antek

PS. I have also sent an email to the adress in the caption but I am not sure have You got it.

You can basically drive to Undva and look at the Steller's from car window. The roads should be OK.

Agreed, I was there in January and drove right to the end of the peninsula and could see the birds from the car - even if there is snow, the roads are basically passable, sno ploughs clear all the way to the last couple of kilometres anyhow and snow is not deep this year.

In our plans we have Saaremaa (Undva and Sorve Peninsula), Haapsalu, Matsalu watchtower and Spithami (Posaspea Cape). I know that March is a little bit to early for majority of migrants, but do you think that there is a chance for Great Northern or Yellow-billed Diver in Spithami?

Both Great Northern Diver and Yellow-billed Diver are a major rarities in Estonia. There are about ten accepted records of GND (none from March) and a few tens of YBD (two from March). Check this for details:
http://www.eoy.ee/yhing/hk/hk_koik20081108.pdf

Here are recent observations from Läänemaa (note the 3+3 abbreviations of the scientific names), doesn't contain anything special yet:
http://www.llk.ee/

Here are recent observations from Sörve. It's in Finnish and Estonian, but click "Lataa asemalomake" for a list of species (the 3+3 abbreviations of the scientific names are used) and numbers:
http://tarsiger.com/paivakirja/?asema=sorve
Basically the spring migration has just started (nothing major yet), and there are 500 Steller's Eiders in Undva.

Last edited:
Basically the spring migration has just started (nothing major yet).

It's not far south ...was in Nemunas Delta yesterday, about 300 km south of Saaremaa. Newly arrived, 1035 Whooper Swans, 8600 White-fronted Geese, over 8000 dabbling ducks, etc etc. A week before, very small numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back