• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unlikely birds seen on telephone wires ... (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Ignoring those ones from the tv ads, any interesting, different, unusual birds seen on overhead wires? Rarities of course now and then too ...

Driving through the lanes the other day four small birds on the wires at the roadside were actually quite surprising to me, although I guess maybe not totally unexpected.

My fondest memory of a bird on a telephone wire was a stunning male Red-footed Falcon in the Camargues in France. Obviously not unusual for a Falcon to be on a wire, but given the species' rarity there and it's pristine plumage, I was totally blown away! Crested Guan in Costa Rica is probably the most unexcpected bird I've seen on a wire in terms of least likely family to be sitting up there. And then around Brisbane there seems to be a Tawny Frogmouth perched on most wires at night!

Common Tern on farmland in Russia, this surprised me due to habitat as much as anything else, no water anywhere near?

Bluethroat in Russia, they probably do this a lot but as a Brit who sees them usually as skulking vagrants, it's odd to see them do it..

A

Attachments

• PRT_9394.jpg
    PRT_9394.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Bluethroat (1 of 1) (2).jpg
    Bluethroat (1 of 1) (2).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Flinging back the curtains on Christmas Day in 1988 produced the gruesome sight of a dead tawny owl on the electricity cables outside my house. The bird had one foot around one cable, the other being around the lower one, with the bird hanging upside down. The two cables were 20 - 30cm apart.
The bird remained there for about a fortnight until the electricity company came to remove it.

Not a pleasant memory.

Peter

Flinging back the curtains on Christmas Day in 1988 produced the gruesome sight of a dead tawny owl on the electricity cables outside my house. The bird had one foot around one cable, the other being around the lower one, with the bird hanging upside down. The two cables were 20 - 30cm apart.
The bird remained there for about a fortnight until the electricity company came to remove it.

Not a pleasant memory.

Peter

Presumably it would have been alright if it had perched on the higher cable only...completing the circuit by touching the lower cable brought about it's demise?

Interesting topic. Earlier this year, I was surprised to see a Golden-naped Woodpecker perched on a wire in Costa Rica- not surprising if it was on a post but I have seen very few or maybe no woodpeckers perched on wires much less one that occurs in rainforest.

But an even more unusual sighting of a bird on a wire was of a Red-fronted Parrotlet perched on a wire visible from my bedroom window. Not only does this rare species not perch on wires as a habit, but it's also not normally seen where this occurred in the Central Valley of Costa Rica. That sighting might be the most unlikely avian situation I have ever experienced.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back