• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown call - Alaka'i Swamp, Kaua'i, Hawai'i (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Had a grand old time on Kaua'i this past week. Struggling with placing a call I recorded while hiking through the Pihea trail to the Alaka'i Swamp. I heard at least 2 (possibly 3) individuals consistently repeating this call to one another. I got a glimpse of one of them - a small-to-medium, totally backlit songbird flitting out of view before I could get any real look at it.

Beware your ears turning speakers up - I talk loudly near the mic around 35 second mark. Apologies for the cursing! :eek!:

Thoughts?

Attachments

• New Recording 34.m4a
    559.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Local Hawai'ian expert and author Jim Denny helped point me in what appears to be the right direction: This 3-part call can be heard at slight variation on this Youtube video here of... AN 'I'IWI! Very exciting!

Would love to get some confirmation bias from you all so I'm not just convincing myself of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZBsOXlR3w

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back