• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-legged Buzzard? Alentejo Portugal (1 Viewer)

Bert

Birdwatchingalentejo.com
HI All,
Please your opinion regarding this Buzzard. Photos made on 28 September 2018.
Cheers,
Bert

Attachments

• Arendbuizerd 3.jpg
    Arendbuizerd 3.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Arendbuizerd 4.jpg
    Arendbuizerd 4.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Arendbuizerd.jpg
    Arendbuizerd.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 82
  • Arendbuizerd 2.jpg
    Arendbuizerd 2.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Arendbuizerd 1.jpg
    Arendbuizerd 1.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 80
I was under the impression that even the darkest Commons, had a more obvious, whitish patagial bar?

Last edited:
What made you suspect it was Long-legged ?

Steve
Photo 1, although not the best photo, shows clearly white patches on upperwing.
Also the white spots/line in the dark part of the underwing and lacking the whitish patagial bar.
Hence my doubts.
Bert

As far as I know there are no cirtensis dark morph birds and you have to go far east to find them (not in the Middle East either), a stunning bird nevertheless

Well, I did have here the Kumlien´s Gull confirmed, 2 different years Steppe Eagle confirmed, every winter several Caspian Terns, Robins and Greylag Goose are breeding here now, all things that should not happen, but do happen. Looks to me there will be more changes in the future.

Well, I did have here the Kumlien´s Gull confirmed, 2 different years Steppe Eagle confirmed, every winter several Caspian Terns, Robins and Greylag Goose are breeding here now, all things that should not happen, but do happen. Looks to me there will be more changes in the future.

Bert, although Robin is an abundant winter visitor to your/my area, there is (and always has been) a solid breeding population in south west Portugal. They are somewhat more discreet than our winter visitors and breed mainly in shady areas in Oak woodland. The Greylag is interesting, though there is a breeding pop in Doñana, apparently derived from winter visiting wild birds.

The accepted records of (Atlas) Long-legged Buzzard in Portugal have always been pale birds, and of classic appearance. It seems that there are hybrids with Common Buzzards (often nicknamed "Gibraltar Buzzard"), especially in the Alentejo region. This makes it a complicated matter! I'm not suggesting your bird may be a hybrid, Tom is right on the button with the comment about dark birds being of the east.

"The" Steppe Eagle is still around I think - and sighting of a possible second bird (?).

Bert, although Robin is an abundant winter visitor to your/my area, there is (and always has been) a solid breeding population in south west Portugal. They are somewhat more discreet than our winter visitors and breed mainly in shady areas in Oak woodland. The Greylag is interesting, though there is a breeding pop in Doñana, apparently derived from winter visiting wild birds.

The accepted records of (Atlas) Long-legged Buzzard in Portugal have always been pale birds, and of classic appearance. It seems that there are hybrids with Common Buzzards (often nicknamed "Gibraltar Buzzard"), especially in the Alentejo region. This makes it a complicated matter! I'm not suggesting your bird may be a hybrid, Tom is right on the button with the comment about dark birds being of the east.

"The" Steppe Eagle is still around I think - and sighting of a possible second bird (?).

The absence of a patagial bar wasn't addressed, Tom?

The absence of a patagial bar wasn't addressed, Tom?

Very dark Common Buzzards will hardly show any lighter medium coverts (I guess that is what you mean by patagial bar?) and almost no light breast band. Still there seems to be a few lighter feathers (barred) on both places but you need even better pics to be sure

Very dark Common Buzzards will hardly show any lighter medium coverts (I guess that is what you mean by patagial bar?) and almost no light breast band. Still there seems to be a few lighter feathers (barred) on both places but you need even better pics to be sure

I'm getting my terms wrong again!

Median, I think you meant that rather than 'medium' feathers are on the upper wing but I'm referring to the white bar which is usually obvious on the underwing of Common Buzzard, highlighter here in pink though it's not a Buzzard in the illustration.

https://www.thespruce.com/thmb/tWZx...)/wing-structure-58a6e29b3df78c345b6145ae.jpg

Patagial is the leading edge of the wing so I was wrong on that, apologies.

Last edited:
As an aside, Buteo rufinus rufinus hasn't been recorded in Iberia AFAIK., only B.r.cirtensis. However, as has been extensively discussed on BF, this taxon may well be closer to B.buteo.

The structure of the bird in Bert's photo doesn't convey any kind of rufinus to my eye. (unreliable as it may be ;)).

I'm getting my terms wrong again!

Median, I think you meant that rather than 'medium' feathers are on the upper wing but I'm referring to the white bar which is usually obvious on the underwing of Common Buzzard, highlighter here in pink though it's not a Buzzard in the illustration.

QUOTE]

Me wrong too and yes median (not medium) but still median underwing coverts (terminology as in upperwing)
here No 4 https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Underwing.svg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back