Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Australia – The Explorers Way and a few extra bits.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 8th October 2018, 09:33   #26
dandsblair
David and Sarah

Albert's Lyrebird

Couldn't not put a few photos of this cracker plus a couple of other ground dwelling birds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	albert lyrebird cu.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	776.4 KB
ID:	676697  Click image for larger version

Name:	lyrebird coming at me.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	885.3 KB
ID:	676698  Click image for larger version

Name:	lyrebird and scrubwren.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	957.3 KB
ID:	676699  Click image for larger version

Name:	logrunner.JPG
Size:	926.3 KB
ID:	676700  Click image for larger version

Name:	whipbird.JPG
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	676701  

Old Monday 8th October 2018, 09:34   #27
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

Nice report - brings back memories of my own visit to that area five years ago.

By the way, in post #18 you have a picture labelled as a Chestnut-breasted Mannikin. Are you sure it isn't a female Gouldian Finch?

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 8th October 2018, 09:38   #28
dandsblair
David and Sarah

You are right- it is Gouldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehouse View Post
Nice report - brings back memories of my own visit to that area five years ago.

By the way, in post #18 you have a picture labelled as a Chestnut-breasted Mannikin. Are you sure it isn't a female Gouldian Finch?
Yes I spotted mistake after I posted it and couldn't edit, it is an immature Gouldian, we did see the Mannikin with clear black breast-band but I'm not sure I photographed it.
Old Monday 8th October 2018, 10:05   #29
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Wow, some very difficult birds there, notably Scarlet-chested Parrot, Grey Honeyeater, Letter-winged Kite and Grey Falcon, as well 2 more I missed that are probably just difficult, Sandhill Grasswren and Gibberbird. Well done you, well jel! Must go back for those ☺
Old Monday 8th October 2018, 16:32   #30
dandsblair
David and Sarah

Thanks Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
Wow, some very difficult birds there, notably Scarlet-chested Parrot, Grey Honeyeater, Letter-winged Kite and Grey Falcon, as well 2 more I missed that are probably just difficult, Sandhill Grasswren and Gibberbird. Well done you, well jel! Must go back for those ☺
Thanks Larry

Yes I think we were quite lucky overall, sometime better to be a lucky birder than a good one :-) but when talking to our birding pals they said fact that we drove over 2500KM along various tracks as well as the 3000K on quiet roads gave us a pretty good chance of some of these rarities but they were amazed we missed things like Inland Dotterel and Cinnamon Quail Thrush.

Last edited by dandsblair : Monday 8th October 2018 at 16:35.
Old Monday 8th October 2018, 18:46   #31
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsblair View Post
.. but they were amazed we missed things like Inland Dotterel and Cinnamon Quail Thrush.
I felt lucky enough seeing those two!
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 10:37   #32
dandsblair
David and Sarah

New Caledonia (Part 1) In search of the Kagu

New Caledonia

We had 6 nights in Noumea with a hire car booked for 3 days and had arranged for a day’s guiding with Isabella from Caledonia Birds – an expensive day but New Caledonia is expensive and compared to other prices there we judged it to be good value.

Our direct flight from Brisbane arrived just before 23.00 and it was after midnight on Sunday before we arrived at Le Lagon Hotel in Noumea. We had the airport transfer, hotel and car hire booked through Noumea Discovery and they had the driver give me a card with some information on it when we landed. However, I only read it when we got up at around 07.30 – it turned out a lady was meeting us in reception at 8am to welcome us and a car was being delivered at 09.00 not 17.00 as arranged (an extra day free) – just time to get up meet the young lady – who basically told us what was about in the town, when the airport pick-up was and that Isabella was a really good guide when we mentioned we were going out with her tomorrow. Then just time to then grab some breakfast before I was called out to go through the car hire with another young girl, we had the car for an extra day, today and to just have the car back by 17.00 on Thursday, just leave the key with the hotel reception – much less formal than Avis.

Today we had planned to have a relaxing day by the beach but with a car, I thought we could check out where we were meeting Isabella, trying to find the supermarket car park from a GPS in the dark at 05.00 tomorrow might be tricky and we could then have a gentle introduction to some local birds. I picked a cycle / culture park in Tina from maps.me as being close to Mount Dore and the supermarket and not too far away from our hotel.

First we stopped at the supermarket to get some picnic making for the next two days and then we drove to Tina. Unfortunately the culture park is closed on a Monday and the cycle park was heaving but there is a walking track that has sign saying it has good birding and we didn’t do too bad for an introduction, first we had a Rufous Whistler in the car park, then our first endemic the New Caledonian (green-backed) White-eye, then a couple of tricky to see Honeyeaters which we finally coaxed out to add both Barred and Grey-eared Honeyeaters[ and then [Streaked Fantail in the mangrove area, then I heard and managed to call out a Melanesian (New Caledonian Golden) Whistler, as we came out into the open area a White-bellied Goshawk flew across giving us excellent views, that was pretty much it apart from Silver Gull, Pacific Swallow, Common Mynah and House Sparrow and a bird that got a way which was almost certainly the Friarbird before we gave up and retreated to the beach as were getting eaten to pieces by midges as we were in our shorts and tee-shirts with no insect repellent to hand.

Riviere Bleue – Blue River NP

We set the alarm early and got to Mount Dore car park around 5am. I was going to drive us to Blue River and then pick up Isabella’s car in the Park. She is one of only a handful of people who are authorised to drive in the national park, however her car which she leaves in the park was in need of servicing, so in the end I left my car in the supermarket car park and we went with Isabella in her small 4x4. On entering the park we walked over the bridge and she was able to drive across the river and meet us 10 minutes later in the area where she would normally be parked. Whistling Kites in the trees nearby.
She is not allowed to take car passengers on the crossing in our out the park.
We were also able to get into the park before it opens – as she has the access code to the barrier.

We did consider doing it all ourselves or doing two days with Isabella but decided that one full day trying to get most targets and then going out ourselves was sensible use of time and money.

I knew it was going to be a great day when just 1 KM up the entry road a Kagu emerged and ran alongside the road even allowing us a photo or two, Isabella said he shouldn’t be there, probably a young male trying to find a new territory. Just up this road we soon had good views of Barred and Grey-eared Honeyeater,a New Caledonia Friarbird was chasing smaller birds – I saw dozens of this bird I but didn’t get a decent photograph, it didn’t stop us getting a good look at a pair of New Caledonian Myzomela and a few White-eye. Isabella then heard an New Caledonian Parakeet and over the next 45 minutes we managed to get good views of this and the cracking Horned Parakeet, Isabella was trying to hurry us along as she had a spot for Crow Honeyeater but the bird only called for a short period around 8am, so we said OK lets go then we stopped for photos of the Parakeets and Streaked Fantail, but then a bird flew across, Sarah said it’s got red around the eye and in the face and we all got on the Crow Honeyeater as it was probably flying towards its display tree, we did later see the bird on the display tree, we saw it OK but could really have done with a closer view but Isabella said she has being trying for months to find somewhere more accessible to view the bird from.

We paused for breath and enjoyed a coffee before entering the forest to look for pigeons.

We had heard a probable Goliath Imperial Pigeon fly into the trees and could hear a Cloven-feathered Dove calling. We went way off the track and deep into the ferns to find and finally get acceptable views of the Cloven-feathered Dove and I even managed a reasonable photo or two, albeit with no feet in view. The massive Goliath Imperial Pigeon flew often and we got views but it took ages before I could even get a record shot.

Things had understandably started to slow down but we were still adding target birds quite regularly, next was Yellow-bellied Flyrobin, we then got better views of what Isabella called New Caledonian Golden Whistler but the guide still has it a sub-species of Melanesian Whistler and a last couple before lunch Striated Starling and Fan-tailed Gerygone.

Over lunch, that we had by the river near the Petroglyph rocks, Isabella called in a Southern Shrikebill, seen well albeit at the other site of the river. Myself and Isabella also saw a Red-throated Parrotfinch which Sarah missed at first but Isabella knew of some trees with cones that attracted the birds and sure enough we soon all were on this cracking red and green bird.

While Sarah was taking a group selfie by the river two Melanesian Cuckoo-Shrikes flew over, myself and Isabella are pointing at the birds and calling Cuckoo-Shrike as Sarah continues to take the selfies, she thought we were saying something akin to smile or cheese, no problem though as the birds landed in the tree and were still visible when she took the trouble to look.

Next up we caught up with the trickier New Caledonian Cuckoo Shrike, not brilliant views but certainly recognisable, it then took us ages to finally get a couple of Melanesian Flycatchers to come down out of the canopy for us to see them, we had just a couple of targets left and a little matter of trying to get better views and photographs of the Kagu, we were driving back towards the park entrance where the shuttle bus drops off people coming in top the park, when two Kagu came out onto the main track and then obligingly searched for worms in the scrub not far from the track, we also saw another male that held territory on the track near the Kagu lifecycle sign, so all really good and we added the Long-tailed Triller here too. We were only missing two target birds, the Crow and the Thicketbird and it was time to head back Isabella had to pick up her son from Nursery but she had given us a spot up Mount Dore for the crows and a place to try near Farino for the Thicketbird – so a pretty much perfect day.

When we got back to the car park we drove up behind Isabella to the place for the crows and she then headed to Tina to pick up her son, we then had great views of New Caledonian Crow, famous as being the first bird filmed using tools and I even managed a photograph of one using a small twig to get insects. We saw Isabella later in the Supermarket with her son and confirmed we got great views of the birds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kagu full.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	853.7 KB
ID:	676807  Click image for larger version

Name:	kagu off the ground.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	695.3 KB
ID:	676808  Click image for larger version

Name:	kagu near entrance.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	821.1 KB
ID:	676809  Click image for larger version

Name:	horned parakeet.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	698.2 KB
ID:	676810  Click image for larger version

Name:	new cal parakeet.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	676811  

Last edited by dandsblair : Tuesday 9th October 2018 at 10:40.
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 19:36   #33
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2018

How did you find the Melanesia fieldguide David? Always nice to hear from people who have used it in the actual field! I hope the passerine pics were on spec

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 10th October 2018, 08:19   #34
dandsblair
David and Sarah

Very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
How did you find the Melanesia fieldguide David? Always nice to hear from people who have used it in the actual field! I hope the passerine pics were on spec
I found plates really good. I did get used to the fact that passerines were split by location (5 plates for New Caledonia); where as birds of prey and pigeons etc were combined; after initially not liking the format I think it works pretty well in the field.
Only thing I found questionable was colour on Melanesian Whistler where caledonica male birds we saw were yellow/green on back and not as orange on the breast as the plate but certainly recognisable
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new caledonia whistler.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	538.5 KB
ID:	676892  
Old Wednesday 10th October 2018, 11:23   #35
dandsblair
David and Sarah

New Caledonia (part2)

Mount Fughi – cascade trail

I had heard access to the mountain could be difficult, but we found a small kiosk, toilet and information building just up from the resort and the activity area. It cost just a couple of euros each to access the forest, you just had to tell the guy which trail we were walking, we chose the cascade rather than peak as he said it was better for birds.

Birding wasn’t as good as yesterday but we did get better views of Goliath Imperial Pigeon and New Caledonian Cuckoo Shrike, plus saw White-eye, Streaked Fantail, Melanesian Flycatcher, New Caledonian Crow, Melanesian Whistler, Myzomela, Shrikebill, Gerygone, Flyrobin, and another White-bellied Goshawk on the open area just before we crossed to the waterfall track, and a flight view of the Crow Honeyeater so had we not done so well yesterday a dozen targets would not have been bad. The waterfall itself was nice with a really good rock pool to cool off in.

We also saw Common Mynah, Spotted Dove, Silver Gull and House Sparrow.

Parc du Grande Forges (Grand Fern)

We had only one target bird but decided to stick with our plan and go to New Caledonia’s second best known birding site.
On the way we saw Whistling Kite and Swamp Harrier. On arrival at the Parc when we were parking up to pay a large black rail like bird appeared, it was a Purple Swamphen but the bird was almost entirely black, with no obvious purple in the head so more like the proposed Australasian rather than Black-backed sub-species which is mentioned in the Dutson guide for Caledonia. (I might get a tick later depending on take-up of recent NZ study into Swamphen taxonomy).

We walked the orange and yellow trails and immediately saw Red JungleFowl (an introduced population), then Coconut Lorikeet and some Glossy Swiftlets. Into the forest pigeons were calling everywhere and it didn’t take long to find Goliath Imperial Pigeon and a Metallic Pigeon however the Cloven-feathered which is the motto for this park gave us the run around and I just never managed to get a photo of this bird showing his fluffy white legs – despite a number of birds calling to each other and responding to my whistles and showing OKish. Over the course of the day we saw the White-eye, Myzomela, Melanesian Whistler and Flycatcher, Flyrobin, Grey-eared Honeyeater, Gerygone, Triller, Friarbird, Crow, Striated Starling and Fantail. We also added White-breasted Woodswallow and Grey Fantail but we didn’t find any Kagu or Parrotfinch.

We had left just a little time to try three places for the Thicketbird, the first place about a kilometre inside the Parc – offered no sign of the bird, the second place on the right hand side about 1.5KM outside the park, a scrubby area with some rocky hillside delivered the bird almost instantly. I played the call, a bird showed briefly in the thick scrub, I placed the speaker at the edge of the scrub and played the call again and the bird hopped out for a second or two, offering up an unmistakable view of the white supercilium. I tried again to get the bird out for a photograph but the bird had obviously done his showing off for the day, but happy enough I got back in the car and went to drive off, when Sarah said – “he is sitting at eye-level”, he was right by the passenger door giving her a great view, I tried to get out and creep around the car, as I couldn’t get the angle to photograph it from the car, but couldn’t see it as I crept round, I wasn’t in the line of sight through the bushes that Sarah had and when I got closer the bird just disappeared. Still I had reasonable views of New Caledonian Thicketbird a bird people often miss and Sarah had seen it point blank the last endemic target was in the bag a great result. Probably just as well I didn’t get great photos on this day as I somehow managed to lose the whole day’s images – when trying to transfer them from the chip to my laptop.

It was a little busy getting back to Noumea but it was no problem leaving the keys a little bit late at reception as the car wasn’t picked up until the following morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nc myzolmela.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	593.8 KB
ID:	676901  Click image for larger version

Name:	new caledonia whistler.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	538.5 KB
ID:	676902  Click image for larger version

Name:	barred honeyeater.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	713.4 KB
ID:	676903  Click image for larger version

Name:	new cal crow using tool.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	676904  Click image for larger version

Name:	horned parakeet.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	698.2 KB
ID:	676905  

Old Wednesday 10th October 2018, 19:50   #36
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
I found plates really good. I did get used to the fact that passerines were split by location (5 plates for New Caledonia); where as birds of prey and pigeons etc were combined; after initially not liking the format I think it works pretty well in the field.
Only thing I found questionable was colour on Melanesian Whistler where caledonica male birds we saw were yellow/green on back and not as orange on the breast as the plate but certainly recognisable
Interesting thanks! Will have to go thru my specimen pics and see what the caledonicas labelled look like yr pic

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 15:07   #37
dandsblair
David and Sarah

The end

Last couple of days in Noumea and Brisbane

We didn’t do any dedicated birding, just hung around the beaches. The areas around Noumea and out to Isle du Canard are great for swimming and snorkelling, loads of fish and a turtle swam under me really close to shore.
Only birds we added to trip list were Red-vented Bulbul and Common Waxbill, common around the hotel and a Wandering Tattler on the rocks by Lemon Bay.

Summary

Considering this wasn’t really a birding trip we didn’t do too bad with a few of the rare nomads in Grey Falcon, Letter-winged Kite and Major Mitchell’s Cockatoo seen; I’m glad we saw the Grasswren at Uluru otherwise I think we would have thought this family were just figments of someone’s imagination. We did quite well for parrots and honeyeaters but really sorry we missed the Black and Banded Honeyeater and didn’t see any large flock of Budgies.
However, we hit all the main targets in the Darwin area, finally saw the Lyrebird at O’Reilly’s and cleaned up in New Caledonia so in birding terms we have to call it a very successful trip.

We also saw most main animal targets, Koala, two new Rock Wallabies, lots of Roos, Wallabies and Pademelons and a few lizards. Although we were probably too early for most lizards and snakes, it was still freezing overnight until we reached Katherine, hence having to see Sarah’s most wanted a Thorny Devil in the Desert Park at Alice.

We also enjoyed the open roads and the wonderful scenery.

Top 5 birds we decided are Kagu, Rufous Owl, Rainbow Pitta, Rose-crowned Fruit Dove and Albert's Lyrebird
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	banded kagu.JPG
Size:	1,006.8 KB
ID:	676990  Click image for larger version

Name:	ruf owl cu.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	676991  Click image for larger version

Name:	rainbow pitta.JPG
Size:	687.0 KB
ID:	676992  Click image for larger version

Name:	rc fruit dove.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	676993  Click image for larger version

Name:	albert lyrebird cu.JPG
Size:	776.4 KB
ID:	676994  

Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 16:36   #38
foresttwitcher

Quote:
Considering this wasn’t really a birding trip
Wow, great haul considering. Nice report.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 07:52   #39
Eribari

Quote:
I posted Alice Springs after not before drive North to Tenant Creek and Katherine
i like, good photos
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:34   #40
stuartvine

Very enjoyable report :-)
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 10:19   #41
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Sounds an awful lot like a birding holiday to me... if you ever decide to get serious you’d be deadly!����

Hong Kong: House Sparrow, Ultramarine Flycatcher, Rufous-faced Warbler (467)
Greater China: Franklin's Gull, Buff-breasted Sandpiper (961)
Lifer: Syrian Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 18:46   #42
dandsblair
David and Sarah

Shhh! Don't tell Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKinHK View Post
Sounds an awful lot like a birding holiday to me... if you ever decide to get serious you’d be deadly!����
Thanks Mike. We did a bit more birding than originally planned but a number of days were just normal tourist stuff and we didn't go to few places in the desert that would have been just for the birds or Lifou or Ovea off New Caledonia for the endemics there.

We are off next week on a proper birding trip.

Last edited by dandsblair : Friday 12th October 2018 at 18:49.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 18:51   #43
dandsblair
David and Sarah

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvine View Post
Very enjoyable report :-)
Quote:
Wow, great haul considering. Nice report.
Thanks Guys
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: