• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC proposals 2013 (1 Viewer)

I saw a comment on this thread, and assumed the results were published :(
Sorry for the false alarm, Morgan. ;)

NACC has become notably more reticent in the last couple of years (in contrast to SACC's impressive transparency). In earlier years, comments and votes on each batch of proposals were posted at intervals during the year, and the July supplement contained no surprises (just formalising the already posted decisions). But in both 2012 and 2013, NACC has withheld the posting of any comments and votes until after publication of the annual supplement.

Last edited:
I suspect it is not reticence but simply down to AOU not having a full time web guru, and people being too busy to keep the site actively updated.

Thanks Richard I had never heard of a Roc!
"I suspect it is not reticence but simply down to AOU not having a full time web guru, and people being too busy to keep the site actively updated." The AOU & Condor are looking to create a new co-website.
http://ornithologyexchange.org/forums/topic/10090-joint-aou-cos-website-request-for-proposals . This should help. Although if you look at the pdf they describe the NACC & SACC as external databases!

Once again: The Auk: Ornithological Advances will focus on publishing the highest caliber work in basic avian biology.
And: The Condor: Ornithological Applications as the premier journal in avian conservation and applied work on birds.

The AOU & Condor are looking to create a new co-website. http://ornithologyexchange.org/forums/topic/10090-joint-aou-cos-website-request-for-proposals. This should help.
A key requirement is that the website is designed and developed in a way that different sections and pages are easy to maintain and update by multiple users without much technical expertise.
That's definitely the key point. In the last decade or so, many organisations (including ornithological societies, committees, clubs, journals etc) clearly felt obliged to commission supposedly impressive-looking websites. Without naming and shaming (they know who they are), some of these sites are now largely stagnant, reflecting the evident inability of ordinary members to perform even the simplest everyday updates.

Rather than persist with effectively unmaintainable websites, it would arguably be better for such organisations to use simple off-the-shelf website/blogging software to create sites that almost anyone could update, or even SACC's unashamedly low-tech approach – it might look like a site for announcing Soviet tractor production figures, but it (mostly) works! ;)

A crappy-looking but dynamic website is infinitely better than a pretty but rarely-updated one.

Last edited:
FWIW, the 54th supplement is out. Nothing unexpected. Here is the last paragraph outlining the proposals that were not accepted:
Proposals considered but not accepted by the committee included recognition of Thalasseus acuflavidus (Cabot’s Tern) as a species distinct from T. sandvicensis (Sandwich Tern), Glaucidium cobanense (Guatemalan Pygmy-Owl) as a species distinct from G. gnoma (Northern Pygmy-Owl), Melanerpes santacruzi (Velasquez’s Woodpecker) as a species distinct from M. aurifrons (Golden-fronted Woodpecker), and Myiarchus flavidior (Ridgway’s Flycatcher) as a species distinct from M. nuttingi (Nutting’s Flycatcher); division of Branta canadensis (Canada Goose) and Sitta carolinensis (White-breasted Nuthatch) into two or more species; and merger of all North American species of rosy-finch (Leucosticte spp.) into American Rosy-Finch (L. tephrocotis). A proposal to replace the genus name Nyctanassa with the prior name Nyctherodius was rejected in favor of petitioning the ICZN to continue to use the more recent name.

And second question specifically about the Sage Sparrow Splits: which forms are expected in Joshua Tree NM, and I am specifically asking if it makes a difference between September and January?

I am supposing canescens for both?

Niels

Is this actually online anywhere yet? Bioone doesn't have it either.

Also, the pending proposals are not updated. Honestly the actual checklist supplement is far less interesting than the voting on proposals

AOU vs BOU

Following the 2013 AOU Check-list update, here's a summary of the current state of play regarding splits directly relevant to both North America and the British Isles...

Recognised only by AOU-NACC:
  1. Anser (fabalis) serrirostris – Tundra Bean Goose
  2. Sternula (albifrons) antillarum – Least Tern
  3. Larus (glaucoides) thayeri – Thayer's Gull
  4. Motacilla (flava) tschutschensis – Eastern Yellow Wagtail
Recognised only by BOURC:
  1. Anas (crecca) carolinensis – Green-winged Teal
  2. Melanitta (fusca) deglandi – White-winged Scoter
  3. Calonectris (diomedea) borealis – Cory's Shearwater
  4. Numenius (phaeopus) hudsonicus – Hudsonian Whimbrel
  5. Sterna (sandvicensis) acuflavida – Cabot's Tern
  6. Larus (argentatus) smithsonianus – American Herring Gull
  7. Turdus (naumanni) eunomus – Dusky Thrush
  8. Saxicola (torquatus) maurus – Siberian Stonechat

I am so proud to have been around at the birth of the newest rule, Klim's Rule.
"A crappy-looking but dynamic website is infinitely better than a pretty but rarely-updated one." Godwin's Rule and Gloger's law and now Klim's Rule.

I am so proud to have been around at the birth of the newest rule, Klim's Rule...
Mark, maybe I should learn to impose a strict internet curfew whenever I open a bottle of wine. Sometimes I dread finding out what I posted the night before. ;)

Cabot's Tern

AOU-SACC:
Efe et al. (2009) found evidence that New World populations (T. s. acuflavidus and T. s. eurygnathus) might be more closely related to T. elegans than to Old World (nominate) T. s. sandvicensis. Proposal needed. <wait NACC/BOU>
I guess the wait is over: Proposal not needed.

Dickinson & Remsen 2013 (H&M4):
May merit treatment, with eurygnathus, as a separate species (Efe et al. 2009), but see also Jackson et al. (2012).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back