• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kruger Malheur 15-45x60 Fluorite ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I just bought this scope for under $300 new. I was curious to say the least , Fluorite APO that cheap ? The specs look good on paper. I know it has a fixed eyepiece, but 15x & long eyerelief was all I was looking for in a compact economy low priced angled scope. I wont have this for another week or so. Anyone out there have any opinions on its use. Purchased from opticsplanet, I will have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it.......Gwen

I followed the same route through OP a month or so ago Gwen. I should have posted on it.

The Positives:

Excellent fit and finish
Very lightweight
Attractive overall package
Conventional eyecup
Good CA control
Unusually bright image

Negatives:

The image seemed a tad soft at all magnifications. It was acceptable at lower powers but as soon as you went up a little in magnification I found the image to soften more so than I would like...even in a $300 scope.

I subsequently returned it.

...and, for what it is worth I checked the objective design with Henry's "green laser" method. The objective isn't fluorite but may be a fluoride substitute.

Frank ...... Thanks for the info. If I keep it , 15x to 18x will be its main viewing use. Hopefully at those power ranges the image will be acceptable & for that price I will keep it ........gwen

I followed the same route through OP a month or so ago Gwen. I should have posted on it.

Negatives:

The image seemed a tad soft at all magnifications. It was acceptable at lower powers but as soon as you went up a little in magnification I found the image to soften more so than I would like...even in a $300 scope.

I subsequently returned it.

anyone tried Malheur 20-60x80 ?

"If I keep it , 15x to 18x will be its main viewing use."

You dont need a posh scope to have good image at those maginification, send it back and get a scope for 100 dollars.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back