• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing in ptarmigan outside Caingorm (1 Viewer)

Oh dearie me... who's going to drive then? I got hooted at like mad in California for crawling round a cliff at about eight mph in total terror while everyone else (quite rightly) wanted to treat it just like a normal road - which apart from the exposure, it was....

For the record, Cairn Gorm, Ben Macdui, Ben Nevis, Cairnwell, An Teallach, Carn Ban Mor (now there's a long boring walk....)

John

Apparently my son said today that I was special because I could drive across mountains without driving off the edge. Our trip across the Tiz n' Test pass in Morocco, in very close to zero visibility, obviously left an impression. However what he didn't notice was that I was a shaking wreck by the time we did get to the other side.

Try Creag Meagaidh alongside the shores of Loch Laggan on the A86 (off the A9 at Dalwhinnie towards Spean Bridge).

Large carpark at the NNR there, from there on up to Carn Liath along the ridge to the top of Creag Meagaidh, taking in a few other Munro,s before dropping back down to the car park below.

I went once up there but the low cloud ruined it by dropping down drastically on us, so much so that it was a whiteout between the white clouds and white snow, so we had to cut it short-I plan to go back though, perhaps this summer, saw Ptarmigan but failed to find the summit of Meagaidh in the mist:eek!:

Fantastic scenery whilst I could see it, check it out on a map!

Last edited:
One of my favourites is Bynack More near Aviemore as walked from Glenmore Lodge via the beautiful Ryvoan Pass and its amazing green coloured fairy loch. ..... Bynack More itself has interesting Tors called the Barns of Bynack which are worth a look and some of the best views across to the Cairngorms.

I agree with this suggestion - Bynack More is one of my favourites too. It is unusual among the Cairngorms in having a (relatively) pointy top too!

I found these ancient photos from a trip to Bynack More back in 1992. I've been up again since then but can't have had a camera with me the second time.

Attachments

• 1992-05-16 Bynack More0006.jpg
    1992-05-16 Bynack More0006.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 1992-05-16 Bynack More0027.jpg
    1992-05-16 Bynack More0027.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 1992-05-16 Bynack More0028.jpg
    1992-05-16 Bynack More0028.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 102
  • 1992-05-16 Bynack More0036.jpg
    1992-05-16 Bynack More0036.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 1992-05-16 Bynack More0037.jpg
    1992-05-16 Bynack More0037.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 69
It's not a Munro (but it's not far off it, at 2759ft it's a Corbett), but I saw Ptarmigan on Ben Vrackie a few years ago. Ben Vrackie is close to Pitlochry, so on your route north.

I agree with this suggestion - Bynack More is one of my favourites too. It is unusual among the Cairngorms in having a (relatively) pointy top too!

I found these ancient photos from a trip to Bynack More back in 1992. I've been up again since then but can't have had a camera with me the second time.

Looks like a beautiful walk - how long is it time/distance?

thanks

Looks like a beautiful walk - how long is it time/distance?

thanks

It's about 9km from where you can park at Glenmore lodge and would probably take about 3 - 3.5 hours to reach the top. You would probably want to explore the plateau to the south and west though so I would add time on for that. The Barns of Bynack (tors) are well worth a visit but are about 500m south of the summit and 100m downhill ( I don't think you can see them from th summit).

Bynack More is quite a prominent hill in views of the Cairngorms as you head down the A9 from Inverness past Carrbridge. It's the pointy one to the left of Cairngorm

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back