• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

SURVEY AT FLASHES 18th and 19th AUGUST

As part of the on-going rejuvenation work at the Flashes, survey's will be carried out on Monday and Tuesday of next week ( 18th and 19th August).
This work is to identify the effects of the grazing on the phragmites, meadow and salt marsh. It has been delayed from earlier in the summer because of the late broods of Avocets, a pain I know but is neccessary for the long term benefit of the site. It will highlight what is needed to improve the area for wading birds.
I will try and get the times so your inconvenience is minimized. B :) John
Starting at Flashes
Monday 9.30 am
Tuesday 9 am - I will be birding before this, in the event of a 'guddie' then we might have to sort something.
Thursday...a work party will be cutting the reeds on the 2nd Flash periphery. The management team will decide where is the best area.
Phil, Mike, Des, Dave,etc over to you. Can you text me. I will be meeting the Trust on Tuesday to tell them where we want it cut.

Last edited:
News via Vern via Dave J there are 3 juv greenshank at the Flashes + juv med gull

And a Little Egret at the Moors Pool.

Will check when we last had 3 Greenshank together. Wayne had a juv Med Gull at Westwood Pool first thing which is perhaps why Mike couldnt re-find it last night.

Bit of passerine movement today in the West Midlands with return migrants moving south - Redstart, Wheatear, Whinchat and Tree Pipit amongst others - so hopefully something good will pop out over the weekend.

And a Little Egret at the Moors Pool.

Will check when we last had 3 Greenshank together. Wayne had a juv Med Gull at Westwood Pool first thing which is perhaps why Mike couldnt re-find it last night.

Bit of passerine movement today in the West Midlands with return migrants moving south - Redstart, Wheatear, Whinchat and Tree Pipit amongst others - so hopefully something good will pop out over the weekend.

Update from Dave J , there were 4 greenshanks. Unfortunately all went before Vern and the gang got there

Happy Monty's Day John (fifth anniversary) B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)

Reproduced below is an article John wrote for the 2009 annual report summarising the find:

Montagu’s Harrier – second occurrence for the reserve - 15th August 2009 By John Belsey

Weather: cloudy, south-west windy force 4.
Following a 5:40am start at the Flashes, which included a Black-tailed Godwit and Wood Sandpiper, the winds freshened and the clouds intensified. Although the wind was still from the south west there was definitely a “feel” of some movement, reinforced by the appearance of a Yellow Wagtail. On the North Hill House Martins were showing as the sun rose. I kept checking their numbers every few minutes as this was a less than numerous species this year. Whether by luck or fate I was drawn back to the impressive numbers which were also spreading to the sewage works. At 7:40am the scattered flock suddenly became a tight mass of 80 to 100 birds as “panic” set in, grouping just above the hill to the east of the hawthorn covered telegraph pole. Thinking a Hobby or Sparrowhawk had appeared, I casually scanned for the cause of the panic. What greeted me took my breath away as a “V” wing-shaped raptor rose above the hill approx 450 to 500 metres away. The first views were of a long narrow-winged, narrow tailed raptor; the high “V” of the wings instantly identified it as a harrier. I quickly shouted to Phil Andrews and the other birder (Brian Richardson). Its buoyant flight forced me to shout “MONTY’S”. I gathered my thoughts and assembled a description.

The black primaries and the generally mid-grey upper parts were the first colours noticed. The flappy wing action (buoyant) might have been accentuated by the reasonably strong south-west wind as the bird rose above the hill. The underwing revealed lines on the coverts and the primaries looked black, or at least the outer five or so did. As the bird banked and circled the white rump contrasted with the darker long thin tail which was a pale grey colour, but flying at an angle when the sun struck the tail and rump appeared all very pale (probably a trick of the light). As the bird drifted off and north-west the sun was less intense and the upperparts revealed an obvious contrast between the darker grey mantle and coverts with the paler grey trailing edge. The primary coverts were also paler grey and accentuated the black primaries effect.

The following notations were included with the sketches in John’s note book and/or the hide’s log book:-
• General jizz – a very long slender-winged, long-tailed bird.
• Features include a white rump, black primaries, grey uppers darker on the coverts. Underwing coverts edged dark on a pale background, black primaries.
• Pale secondaries and greater primary coverts contrasting with darker grey forewing
• Grey head, whitish belly. From underneath the body was grey and slender
• In flight weak flaps, almost bobbing from side to side
• Buoyant flight with very long narrow wings, tail appeared very long and narrow, white rump, grey tail.

Update from Dave J , there were 4 greenshanks. Unfortunately all went before Vern and the gang got there

Today's four Greenshanks is the best count since six were present at the Flashes late on the 15th August 2010.

The reserve's maximum count is of 13 birds that rested at the Flashes for an hour on 21st August 2000. Other sizeable counts include twelve birds at Amy’s Marsh on the 29th September 2000, ten birds on the 20th August 2001 and five records of eight birds – on the 17th August 1972, in 1978, on the 21st August 1984 (just prior to a thunderstorm), briefly on the 26th October 1990 and at the Flashes on the 2nd May 1994.

update from Flashe

another 5.15 start.
not expecting a lot, but its always nice to see the flashes rammed at dawn. By 6am almost all the duck, gulls and curlew have gone. Soon after stock doves arrived and the few waders came out of hiding. At 6.30 went off to scrub watch at the bridge. The cool start certainly got the warblers into action as soon as the sun came out. At least 40 of of 6 species were seen in my hour and a half there.
Back to the hide where a peregrine caused mayhem for 10 minutes or so. One of the adult oycs almost sacrificed itself for its chick. All the remaining avocet chicks are now flying. The only new wader to arrive was a juv dunlin.
species count
Teal 30+, gadwall 3. shoveler 5, shelduck 2, mallard 400+, avocet 2 ads+ 6 juvs. oyc pr+ juv. LRP juv. lapwing 300. green sand 6. common sand 1. dunlin juv. curlew 21. common tern 5 roosted. BHG 1100. Peregrine juv.
chiffchaff 15, reed warbler 12, sedge w 2. blackcap 6. whitethroat 4. cettis singing. goldcrest. grey wag. raven 4. stock dove 30+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back