• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (1 Viewer)

Yup, 'Pash for sure - Longbow millimetre wave radar on top of the rotorhead. We see them coming past quite regularly as well, making their way back up from Salisbury Plain to Wattisham I expect.

Characteristic sound, got a real grind to it.

John

Bit of primal in there John!....Can remember taking the overnight train down to Penzance one October many years ago, went to the heliport which was totally enveloped in mist, wondering where's the " bleet-in Sikorsky" (would be my 1st time in a Chopper :eek!:)...until a distant hum turned into a roar! Then as it morphed out the mist....everything stood on end, you could say a seminal moment. :t:

Just as a note, you are allowed to fly down to 1ft if you like, the 500ft rule is not necessarily to do with height but relates to ships, buildings, people etc, so out at sea (in the English Channel say) you can go right down (I have to 50ft once with an instructor). However, Nature Reserves are normally out of bounds although on my old chart I cannot see that Pagham has a restricted area (whereas Minsmere has one to 2000') but it is an old chart.

So if it is not marked he possibly was not breaking any rule (unless less than 500' from the observers) although clearly very stupid. A Brent (or several) at speed would take that microlight apart.

I did some Googling and here is a more up to date chart - and clearly shows there is a restricted area but only up to 500'

Attachments

• Pagham.jpg
    Pagham.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 26
A ''high incidence'' of occurrence?.....Barely one week after spotting two in NE.London Essex, I should find another in North Norfolk....a ''hat trick of Apaches!''....are they extending their range, and if so, will they become a chopper of least concern as they slowly colonise?.....although certainly ruffled a few feathers en route. :eek!:

Attachments

• P1650715.jpeg      Chopper1..jpeg
    P1650715.jpeg Chopper1..jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P1650563.jpeg   Shore Lark landing.jpeg
    P1650563.jpeg Shore Lark landing.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 25
  • P1650665.jpeg     Snow.Bunt.3.jpeg
    P1650665.jpeg Snow.Bunt.3.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 26
A ''high incidence'' of occurrence?.....Barely one week after spotting two in NE.London Essex, I should find another in North Norfolk....a ''hat trick of Apaches!''....are they extending their range, and if so, will they become a chopper of least concern as they slowly colonise?.....although certainly ruffled a few feathers en route. :eek!:

Nothing in Defence is "of least concern" under the current government, which truly believes, as did Neville Chamberlain, that trade will cure all international conflict and a strong economy is all the power that is needed in the world.

Personally I prefer si vis pacem para bellum.

John

Nothing in Defence is "of least concern" under the current government, which truly believes, as did Neville Chamberlain, that trade will cure all international conflict and a strong economy is all the power that is needed in the world.

Personally I prefer si vis pacem para bellum.

John

The odd thing here is that I had a military chopper, presumably an Apache, over Nottingham when I was last back, having never seen one over there before.

A

One here showing well at Dunsfold Wings and Wheels last year, since you've given me the excuse :t:

John

Attachments

• 20170826 (190)_Westland_Apache_AH1.JPG
    20170826 (190)_Westland_Apache_AH1.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 25
One here showing well at Dunsfold Wings and Wheels last year, since you've given me the excuse :t:

John

When have you ever required permission John, envious of your Adder, will be a long time before I see one in Russia this year, still -16c.

A

Last edited:
To answer the thread title: Yes, love them both....but not when tw@ts like this are allowed in the cockpit :-@

Taken today over Pagham Harbour.....at some points he can't have been more than 40ft off the deck....absolutely ridiculous and when the literally thousands of waterfowl and waders flushed up (and he still kept circling lower!) it was amazing that he didn't get a Brent through the canopy. Pr1ck

View attachment 650884View attachment 650885View attachment 650886View attachment 650887View attachment 650888

Do you think he got as low as this? :eek!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

Chosun :gh:

I'd keep yours Andy, in case the Finns attack ;)

We have choppers and jets over our place all the time, I'm cautious even aiming binoculars skyward as they pass over!

St Petersburg has a 'special arrangement' with Finland and it's very easy to get a Schengen visa due to the proximity of the border and shopping opportunities which many take advantage of, especially since the embargoes following the Ukraine disaster.

A

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back