• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2019 (1 Viewer)

Just a few local hares recently

Mark

Attachments

• Brown Hare (3).jpg
    Brown Hare (3).jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Brown Hare (2).JPG
    Brown Hare (2).JPG
    766 KB · Views: 31
  • Brown Hare.JPG
    Brown Hare.JPG
    670 KB · Views: 29
What a cool thread. Thanks for sharing these photos.

Thank you and welcome! Feel free to add your own contributions: tales of sightings, pictures, sharing hot sites for any species. If wild mammals are your thing you may find mammalwatching.com a useful resource as well, though I think BF has more of a community feel. Quite a few BFers seem to turn up over there...;)

John

Some local Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer from Last Weekend

Mark

Attachments

• Muntjac.JPG
    Muntjac.JPG
    567.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Chinese Water Deer.JPG
    Chinese Water Deer.JPG
    562.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Chinese Water Deer (3).JPG
    Chinese Water Deer (3).JPG
    762.8 KB · Views: 36
Some small mammal trapping for Mammal week last week only threw down 10 traps one night and got 10 captures, Harvest mouse, common shrew 2x bank vole the rest wood mice

Mark

Attachments

• Harvest Mouse.JPG
    Harvest Mouse.JPG
    481.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Common Shrew (2).JPG
    Common Shrew (2).JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Bank Vole.JPG
    Bank Vole.JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Wood Mouse.JPG
    Wood Mouse.JPG
    499.1 KB · Views: 34
While travelling for work, and during brief lunch time visits, a Red Squirrel at Vane Farm RSPB (where they are approachable) and Brown Rat at Pennington Flash (where they have sort of over-run the bird feeding station).

Regarding the rats, I have seen one catch an eat a Blue Tit in the past , so hopefully they do not interfere with the vulnerable Willow Tit population.

Attachments

• Brown Ratemail.JPG
    Brown Ratemail.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Red Squirrelemail.JPG
    Red Squirrelemail.JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 24
While travelling for work, and during brief lunch time visits, a Red Squirrel at Vane Farm RSPB (where they are approachable) and Brown Rat at Pennington Flash (where they have sort of over-run the bird feeding station).

Regarding the rats, I have seen one catch an eat a Blue Tit in the past , so hopefully they do not interfere with the vulnerable Willow Tit population.

I've seen them catch Wood Mice and eat them at night as well, they are opportunistic hunters as well as gleaners and scavengers. I suspect they will still be here when the last human turns its toes up.....

John

Weasel

Just thought this might be of interest to some readers of this thread.

I very rarely manage to even glimpse a weasel, and I had never managed to photograph one before. I have occasionally had success with stoats (although every close encounter is a rare treat) but never a weasel.

I was therefore very pleased to bump into one at dusk yesterday. It was using a small mammal burrow at the base of a tree stump in an area of recently cleared wooded edge on Therfield Heath, Hertfordshire. It never emerged fully but kept poking its head out of the hole to keep an eye on me. Unfortunately by this stage the light was extremely poor, hence the rather grainy photo. But it is, nevertheless, a photo of a weasel, so I'm pretty chuffed.

I will try to keep an eye on the hole in the next few days in case it turns out to be in regular use, but knowing how awkward these creatures are I won't be holding my breath!

Andy

Attachments

• weasel_MG_4679.jpg
    weasel_MG_4679.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Just thought this might be of interest to some readers of this thread.

I very rarely manage to even glimpse a weasel, and I had never managed to photograph one before. I have occasionally had success with stoats (although every close encounter is a rare treat) but never a weasel.

I was therefore very pleased to bump into one at dusk yesterday. It was using a small mammal burrow at the base of a tree stump in an area of recently cleared wooded edge on Therfield Heath, Hertfordshire. It never emerged fully but kept poking its head out of the hole to keep an eye on me. Unfortunately by this stage the light was extremely poor, hence the rather grainy photo. But it is, nevertheless, a photo of a weasel, so I'm pretty chuffed.

I will try to keep an eye on the hole in the next few days in case it turns out to be in regular use, but knowing how awkward these creatures are I won't be holding my breath!

Andy

I'd be pretty chuffed with that myself, well done! Any useful tips on what you were doing to spot it in the first place?

John

I'd be pretty chuffed with that myself, well done! Any useful tips on what you were doing to spot it in the first place?

John

Thanks! Not sure it was much other than good fortune really - I was just walking over to a spot to watch for a local short-eared owl (that frustratingly only seems to appear at dusk) and noticed the movement. It's a path I've walked hundreds of times before, although perhaps less frequently at that time of day. Back in August I did see what I suspected might have been a weasel a couple of hundred yards away from this sighting, but it was the briefest of glimpses out of the corner of my eye and I hadn't seen anything subsequently.

The animal yesterday didn't seem to respond to my attempts at squeaking, rather poking its head back out for a few seconds every couple of minutes to see if I was still there.

I had a quick look this morning but was only able to give it 20 mins or so and unsurprisingly saw nothing. If I do have any further sightings and any pattern emerges I'll post an update!

Thanks! Not sure it was much other than good fortune really - I was just walking over to a spot to watch for a local short-eared owl (that frustratingly only seems to appear at dusk) and noticed the movement. It's a path I've walked hundreds of times before, although perhaps less frequently at that time of day. Back in August I did see what I suspected might have been a weasel a couple of hundred yards away from this sighting, but it was the briefest of glimpses out of the corner of my eye and I hadn't seen anything subsequently.

The animal yesterday didn't seem to respond to my attempts at squeaking, rather poking its head back out for a few seconds every couple of minutes to see if I was still there.

I had a quick look this morning but was only able to give it 20 mins or so and unsurprisingly saw nothing. If I do have any further sightings and any pattern emerges I'll post an update!

Fingers crossed!

John

Went to Donna Nook Saturday - no issues about parking, a secondary car park had been opened and was completely firm. Loads of locals there, it must be just wildlife people who are being put off. Burger van and portaloos on site, also farm-fresh vegetables on sale and prices not to be sniffed at. Quality and freshness off the chart....

Anyway, we had stunningly good weather and light, mind-boggling numbers of Grey Seals point blank at all ages from newborns to old battle-scarred (and indeed recent battle bloodied) bulls and everything in between. It is a fantastic spectacle with a soundtrack of crooning seal voices and distant thunder of the surf.

There was also a superb Pomarine Skua which was what we actually went for, showing amazingly well. It flew 3 feet over our heads at one point and gave views on the ground between twenty and fifty yards, frequently while wolfing down bits of the seal afterbirths lying about all over the place. There's so much food for it that it will probably stick around for a while yet - in fact it may be almost too fat to fly.

Why is it an adult male? We never heard it singing......

A bunch of Whoopers in-off and a flock of very flighty Twite gave added value.

Cheers

John

Nothing much from me as I was in South Africa for most of November but caught this Yellow necked mouse from my garage.

Mark

Attachments

• PC070014.jpg
    PC070014.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 33
  • PC070004.jpg
    PC070004.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 39
What a monster! I've seen a few of the SA pix, looking forward to the full report....

About time I put some Donna Nook seals up.

John

Grey Seal X 5

Attachments

• 20191130 (5)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (5)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20191130 (14)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (14)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20191130 (15)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (15)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20191130 (20)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (20)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20191130 (21)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (21)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 29
And some more. There are all these seals, the same species but as different from each other as we are, so the temptation is to keep shooting forever!

John

Grey Seal X 5

Attachments

• 20191130 (23)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (23)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20191130 (37)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (37)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20191130 (38)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (38)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20191130 (45)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (45)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20191130 (50)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    20191130 (50)_Grey_Seal.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 32
Nearly went flying with Dave yesterday. We actually got to the aircraft, and were considering and checking the latest met before making a decision, when a Noctule flew across from one group of trees to another.

We decided if the weather was dark enough for bats it was too dark for VFR down to the coast and back, and repaired to The Foresters for a pint.

John

Nailed the air recce of the two carriers in Portsmouth yesterday and saw the Noctule by the pan at Farnborough Airport again after we returned. It came from the same group of trees in similar light and disappeared into the same group of trees, hence my assumption it was the same bat! Admittedly that was nearly 1600 whereas the previous day, as I omitted to say, it was but 1430!

John

Trip to Norfolk yesterday to inflict Marion's 445th bird in the British Isles upon her: the Eastern Yellow Wagtail at Sedgeford. Very nice bird and with access along a tarmac track a lot easier to get to than the Dunwich beach one! Excellent views against the dark backdrop of the dungheaps, also flying round calling and sitting up in a tree. Good value.

A Chinese Water Deer feeding on the saltmarsh West of the path at Titchwell RSPB - right out among the creeks, not back in the reeds or the fields - was the only interesting mammal of the day. We didn't do much else as I'm struggling with a cold at the moment: a field of 11,500 Pinkfeet at Choseley (not my estimate but the whole field was rammed with geese so it sounds right!) had two Barnacle Geese that I found fairly easily but without a scope the three Tundra Bean Geese were a non-starter so we took the opportunity to get a good way towards home in what passed for daylight.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back