• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (6 Viewers)

Ok so the Index is still printed in book as normal. CD is down as having general and scientific Ref and also index it is attached to the inside back cover. It is also available for download.
There is still many photos but as expected not as many as other volumes. Christmas Island Pip is mentioned but only in the general information not as a species entry.

Ok so the Index is still printed in book as normal. CD is down as having general and scientific Ref and also index it is attached to the inside back cover. It is also available for download.
There is still many photos but as expected not as many as other volumes. Christmas Island Pip is mentioned but only in the general information not as a species entry.

Thanks for the information. Interesting that the likewise extinct New Zealand greater short-tailed bat has a species account (as you can see in the sample pages) but the Chrismas Island Pipistrelle not.

Not looking to hijack this thread, but I must ask: now that the HBW and HMW are both complete, what are the chances of Lynx undertaking another project, such as HRW (Handbook of the Reptiles of the World)...or amphibians, or...???

Not looking to hijack this thread, but I must ask: now that the HBW and HMW are both complete, what are the chances of Lynx undertaking another project, such as HRW (Handbook of the Reptiles of the World)...or amphibians, or...???

Well, a good idea is to contact Lynx and ask them directly!

// Jonas

I fear that the Handbook series will remain as stand alone product for Birds and Mammals. At the moment there will be not even a HMW alive online platform (based on a recent reply at Facebook). But I hope there will be a HMW illustrated checklist with all new discovered mammal species and maybe all recent extinct mammals that are not included in the original HMW series.

Last edited:

I think their emphasis will now shift to the individual, country, bird, fieldguides of which they have already produced 5 with 6 due next year.

My copy arrived Monday.
The plates do not seem to be as crowded as some of the earlier volumes. The illustrations vary between the various artists,as is to be expected, but all are of high quality. The introduction says that the text was shortened to fit into the 1000 pages, but it still reads well.
I hope that there will be a tenth volume.

Lynx face book page advises that they are preparing an illustrated checklist and will provide further information early in 2020.
This is good news.

Could you post a link, please. I can't find the note.

I finally found it myself, it's well hidden in a discussion on the occasion of the completion of the HMW series in late October 2019:

Elisa Badia Lynx We are currently working on the Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World. We’ll tell you more in early 2020! ��

That's in reply to the question: How about an Illustrated Checklist to the Mammals of the World like the one you did for the birds? And one only finds the statement after clicking to the "replies" button.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,
Sorry I have not replied earlier, I have been on holiday with my family over Christmas and New Year.
I am glad your found the link.
It sounds promising doesn't it.
I hope we don't have to wait too long for more information.
Cheers
Kevin

Hi Robert,
Sorry I have not replied earlier, I have been on holiday with my family over Christmas and New Year.
I am glad you found the link.
It sounds promising doesn't it.
I hope we don't have to wait too long for more information.
Cheers
Kevin

At least, we now know the Checklist will come. So it's more of a question how long we'll have to wait for the book to become available.

PS: Hope you found a holiday area that is "fire safe". At the moment, from afar we feel that almost all of Australia is threatened. Terrible.

Let's hope that they start using the same taxonomic approach for all groups and only accept sensible splits (so not 11 species of Klipspringer without evidence), but I do not have high hopes...

Let's hope that they start using the same taxonomic approach for all groups and only accept sensible splits (so not 11 species of Klipspringer without evidence), but I do not have high hopes...

What form would that 'evidence' have to take?

There is already a thread on bird vocalisations and discusses if a species can be defined on vocalisations alone - I do realise that Bovids don't sing but I think you get my meaning?

What form would that 'evidence' have to take?

There is already a thread on bird vocalisations and discusses if a species can be defined on vocalisations alone - I do realise that Bovids don't sing but I think you get my meaning?

Preferably evidence comes from separate sources, mainly morphological and genetic, but vocalizations can also be important (especially in deer). Most of the bovid splits in HMW are only supported by flimsy morphological evidence based on very low sample sizes.

In the klipspringer case, there might be 2 or more species but that does not come from the research of G&G, but based on a msc thesis which did some genetic work.

See a summary here:
https://www.zoochat.com/community/t...-the-splits-of-g-g.467230/page-3#post-1074793

You can find the research by G&G here by googling ungulate taxonomy pdf and click the first link, if you do not own the book...

You can find the research by G&G here by googling ungulate taxonomy pdf and click the first link, if you do not own the book...

.......................really ;)

I just checked out the link and it's quite demoralisng to realise that what was set to be the seminal work for years to come (HMW), is wrong on distributions. I've heard it said about other species too, I think one of them was Bushbucks?

It's quite a damning piece in relation to the taxonomic work carried out in this instance, if the same is true across the entire publication, many splits, including birds by association, will not stand scrutiny.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back