• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood of Cree, Dumfries and Galloway (1 Viewer)

markgrubb

Leading a life of quiet desperation
I spent the last day of my spring holiday in Dumfries and Galloway and had time for a morning at the RSPB reserve at Wood of Cree near Newton Stewart. I had been there 2 years ago in autumn and it had been a bit disappointing birdwise though it is beautiful woodland.

At the car park I got out I heard a lot of song-first garden warbler-no, it then seemed like a blackcap. A bit unnerved by Paul's recent gardcap thread I watched patiently and soon discovered that there was one of each in adjacent bushes-result(unless I was getting them the wrong way round). A pair of sedge warblers were singing by the river.

On into the reserve and within 10 yards I could hear 2 singing pied flycatchers. Seeing them in the dense oak canopy was another matter and I had to admit defeat at this point. 50 yards on I heard the familiar spinning coin song of a wood warbler and I got really good views. The woodland was mostly old thinned out oak with a dense carpet of bluebells. The birding was exceptional. I counted 12 singing pied flycatchers with some revealing themselves to view, 7 wood warblers and slightly higher up 2 singing redstarts-these were meant to be numerous but I only heard the 2 singing. Higher up I got in the scrubland I got good views of a tree pipit and a cuckoo calling. There were plenty of other birds such as dipper, grey wagtail, song thrush, mistle thrush, treecreeper, willow warlblersand treecreepers. All too soon it was time to go. The path through the reserve only covers a small area of the woodland. As I drove along the road I stopped and listened and heard more singing wood warblers and pied flycatchers. Information boards stated that there are up to an incredible 70 pairs of pied flycatchers on the reserve and up to 40 redstarts.

Certainly it's an exceptional place in spring and I would recommend it to anyone-just one minus-it was a muggy, still warm morning and the midgies were fierce, so go prepared!!

Attachments

• Woodwarbler.jpg
    Woodwarbler.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Piedfly1.jpg
    Piedfly1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Piedfly3.jpg
    Piedfly3.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 96
  • gardenwarbler.jpg
    gardenwarbler.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 107
Hi Mark, I enjoyed reading that. We were there on 21st April 2005, but that was a little too early for much action. Still, as you say, a beautiful wood and I could see the potential. You have reminded me that I must go back some year in May.

We were all set to go around the Wood of Cree when we visted D & G between 25th April - 2nd May. As we were nearing the reserve it was becoming darker and darker, on arrival it then decided to have a hailstorm for about 10 mins and then continue raining. In the end we gave up and didn't do the walk around, which sounds a shame considering what you managed to see.

Jon, you could also go to Ken Dee Marshes we got a good selection of birds including Pied Flycatchers.
Here is Ians report from our trip
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=113098&highlight=dumfries

We were all set to go around the Wood of Cree when we visted D & G between 25th April - 2nd May. As we were nearing the reserve it was becoming darker and darker, on arrival it then decided to have a hailstorm for about 10 mins and then continue raining. In the end we gave up and didn't do the walk around, which sounds a shame considering what you managed to see.

Jon, you could also go to Ken Dee Marshes we got a good selection of birds including Pied Flycatchers.
Here is Ians report from our trip
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=113098&highlight=dumfries

That's a shame-have just read your report-D & G is a great area. I also visited ken dee last autumn-again it looked as if it had great spring potential-loads of red kites and it was good to see willow tit-an increasingly scarce Scottish bird

Marmot - we might tie in a stay in Galloway next weekend and visit Cree, Ken-Dee and Mull of Galloway.

Today we ended up at Muirshiel Country Park in Renfrewshire as Mrs O. preferred a shorter trip. Nice views of grey wagtails, common sandpiper, pair of stonechats and the usual mass of meadow pipits & skylarks but no sign of the hen harriers today.

Marmot - we might tie in a stay in Galloway next weekend and visit Cree, Ken-Dee and Mull of Galloway.

Remember next weekend is a Bank Holiday so you might have trouble getting in somewhere. Don't think Mrs O will appreciate sleeping in the car.

Here is a link to the D & G Visitor website just in case you want to try for somwhere to stay.
http://guide.visitscotland.com/vs/s...85bd0d3528ceef.e38Mc30Oc3qRa40Lch0PbNeOah8Te0

Or requst a brochure, we got it within a couple of days of request

http://www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk/sitewide/brochurerequest/

Many thanks for the links. Still haven't decided what we are doing at the weekend. A day trip is a possibility (loyalties divided between birding and the allotment!)

I am interested in this thread as I am staying near Newton Stewart in a cottage on the Drumlamford Estate for the first week in September. Any ideas if there is likely to be much to see in the Wood of Cree or the surrounding area at this time of the year? I am ashamed to say I have never seen a Dipper so one of them would be very nice.

I have stayed there a couple of times before but we spent most of the time looking for Red Kites and other raptors and Red Squirrels so we didn't really pay too much attention to the smaller birds.

The cottage is on a private country estate eleven miles down a winding single track road which passes various lochs on the way. I am really looking forward to it and I hope the weather is as kind as it's been on the previous two visits.

Ron

Ron,

You could download the booklet that D & G Ranger service do.
http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/dumgal/MiniWeb.aspx?id=284&menuid=4293&openid=4293

If you have problems downloading it you can actually write to them and ask for one to be sent to you. I found Keith Kirk one of the rangers gave some good info before we visited D & G a few years back...there is a link to his email on the ranger contact details. He also used to write a piece on the website about what to expect to see during the months but I have had trouble finding that.

Thanks Marmot. That's an excellent booklet. I will print it off later and take it with us. It looks as if there should be plenty to see. :t:

Ron

Ron,

We Stayed at the Netherbarr steadings near Newton Stewart- are you staying in the same place by any chance? I had a friendly stoat there.

Creetown is good for dipper- there is a stream - the moneypool burn if you go in from Grimshawe terrace, go to the end of the road and you will see the stream from there- there is a metal bridge over it, if you stand there you should hopefully see a dipper.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=247381&ay=558442

Kirroughtree is good for red squirrels, near the car park there is a squirrel feeder hidden in some connifers, as you come in there is a "warning squirrel" sign next to the road where there is a bit of a bare ridge. The squirrels cross from the woodland to get to the feeder, but the feeder itself is difficult to locate from that side of the road. It is best approached from the car park side.

The Kite feeding station at Laurieston is fantastic- feeding is at 2pm daily.

Wood of Cree was very quiet when we went there, but that was in July. All we had were a couple of grey wagtails.

We saw dipper on the 2 occasion we went to Gatehouse of Fleet. There is a small river that runs through it and we saw a pair from the main road and from the old mill(it has a fascinating second hand bookshop and a cafe and you can watch life go by on the river). Wood of Cree will I imagine by pretty quiet. Ken/dee marshes is very good for willow tits and red kites

Ken/dee marshes is very good for willow tits and red kites

How easy were the willow tits, Mark? I'm spending a week in Dumfriesshire in September and although I've seen quite a few willow/marsh tits in the past, the only ones I've been able to identify (on location mainly) have been marsh.

How easy were the willow tits, Mark? I'm spending a week in Dumfriesshire in September and although I've seen quite a few willow/marsh tits in the past, the only ones I've been able to identify (on location mainly) have been marsh.

Hi Paul

I've been twice and succeeded on each occasion this year seeing a couple of birds both times-there are no marsh tits there and I had the bonus of the birds calling the first time

I think there are decent numbers there. They are most easily seen near the hides in the scrub-there are feeders to attract birds. The bad news is that this is at the far end of the reserve from where you park and from memory it's a couple of miles walk but there is usually enough to divert you on the way

Very interesting report Mark.

Sounds like the Wood of Cree has got a good range of woodland species rare or absent from the woods in Fife.
Do you know if there are any Nuthatches there?

Very interesting report Mark.

Sounds like the Wood of Cree has got a good range of woodland species rare or absent from the woods in Fife.
Do you know if there are any Nuthatches there?

Likewise in Lothian redstart, wood warbler and particularly pied flycatcher are rare so it was a real treat. I didn't see nuthatch there-they were common at Ken-dee though

The Wllow Tits were actually going on the feeders at the Ken Dee reserve which are right in front of the hide............

From Ians report,Link is shown on my first comment
"RSPB Ken-Dee Marshes – our first proper visit to this location. A fine but overcast afternoon.

Along the farm track – Linnet, Song Thrush, Chiffchaff, Goldfinch, Goldcrest, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Curlew, Canada Geese, Bullfinch, Redshank, Buzzard, Fieldfare, Yellowhammer, Treecreeper, Jay and a Tree Pipit. Of particular note were Pied Flycatcher x6 in three pairs singing and checking out nest boxes and a pair of Coal Tit excavating a nest cavity in a tree knot hole. A Crow with a white chest patch at first glimpse had us thinking Ring Ouzel but it proved not to be.

From the hide – Whimbrel, Redshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Wigeon and Teal. On the feeders – Nuthatch, Willow Tit, Great Spotted Woodpecker plus several Red Squirrel. Other mammals included hares and rabbits including a few black ones.

There was Nuthatch there as well

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back