• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Atlas Optics Intrepid from Eagle Optics (1 Viewer)

Interesting catch.

The specs do look like a Chinese ED: open-hinge, Mg alloy body, silver mirror coating, weight, close focus, 420 feet FOV, ER. Do they need to post a photo? I guess the question is what color (if it's EO then it's black!).

$349.

I see they have a whole Range of Atlas Optics bins

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics

Including the Radian and the Sky King.

Man, they nicked an old 1950s radio/TV show name. They're showing their age. Perhaps they'll sell it for 15c and a seal from a jar of peanut butter. Perhaps we can get a Sky King Spy-Detecto Writer to decode the bird species we see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_King

From Atlas Optics to Zen Ray .... covering the gamut ;)

Last edited:
Atlas Optics?

Hmm, never heard of that one. Is that a separate company or is it somehow affiliated with Eagle Optics in the way that Vortex is?

I look forward to seeing the pics. At $350 they should sell quite well.

Ok, whose going to order a pair for review?

Initially I though it was a new EO brand.

But there is another Atlas Optical company in Taiwan and China.

http://www.atlas-optical.com/Factory.html

Not sure if they're related or not but they don't have the same logos. They don't seem to build bins as an end-product (according to their web site).

So perhaps EO just liked the name for their new brand (and it's not already a trademark in North America) or perhaps Atlas Optical are branching out into binmaking?

Not sure which way I fall.

Last edited:
Interesting. Some weeks ago, I asked EO if they had any plans to be a dealer for Zen Ray or Promaster. The answer was no. Their reason was that their representative was at that OEM in China making a deal for an EO branded version of that binocular.

My guess is that it is probably going to be another separate badge under the Sheltered Wings corporation. I think it will prove interesting to compare it with other bins that EO and Vortex offer.

Hmmm...... It's amazing how similar these are to the three lines from ZR..... ;)

(except for the phase correction on the "Radian" model)

It will be interesting to see where this will go. No doubt the Atlas will cut into Z-R's market, but if they're as good as the Zen and ZRS at their pricepoints, won't Eagle/Vortex/Sheltered Wings be shooting down their own Fury and Viper lines? (and maybe even the Diamondback, since those have no HD glass and no dielectric prism coatings at the same price point as the ZRS). Maybe they should have let ZR keep its niche.....?

Last edited:
It looks like it didn't take long for folks here to key in on the new Atlas binoculars. This line of binoculars is intended to be a "house brand" of ours, with no additional distribution. As far as comparing the Intrepids to the Zen Ray ED's, I know there are some minor differences though I'll admit to having never looked through a pair of the Zen Ray/Hawke/ Promaster ED bins. It's my understanding that you could expect a comparable view through the Intrepid ED's. Beyond the optical system, we do back up the Atlas binoculars with our Platinum Protection warranty. Any repairs and warranty service can be done in-house here in Middleton WI. The Intrepid ED also features a See Clear lens coating which is an anti residual coating designed to repel dirt, grease, etc...
That's about all I know right now. We just got these in and I'm familiarizing myself with our demo models. Yes, I am impressed that we can get binoculars this nice at this price point. This should prove to be a very nice addition to what we are currently offering. I haven't seen any of the other Atlas models yet.
Ben Lizdas
Sales Manger
Eagle Optics

Interesting. Some weeks ago, I asked EO if they had any plans to be a dealer for Zen Ray or Promaster. The answer was no. Their reason was that their representative was at that OEM in China making a deal for an EO branded version of that binocular.

When a company/store like EO makes a deal to carry a certain line of binos, do they do heavy research into that bino? You think the people at EO bought a pair of those binos, examined them closely, had their engineers take it apart and examine it? Or did they just show up, looked thru them, and agreed to carry them? I'm just curious.

I know that we consider the merits of any product we choose to carry and work very hard not to stock or sell anything that we don't feel is "worthwhile". I'm sure there was research and thought put into the Atlas binoculars. Having said that, I don't do product development.
At times, I feel as though a lot of the regular posters here know more about optical engineering and development than I do. My job is pair a customer with the best optics for their needs/budget and be sure that they are happy with the job I've done. I know that in the case of the Intrepid ED's, they seem to me to be a model that most people could easily fall in love with.
These days I'm birding with a 7x42 Zeiss FL and an 82mm Leica scope. If I lost my Zeiss bins and had a pair of the Intrepid ED's to use, I would still be a happy birder. Having said that, I'm not about to give up my 7x42's!

When a company/store like EO makes a deal to carry a certain line of binos, do they do heavy research into that bino? You think the people at EO bought a pair of those binos, examined them closely, had their engineers take it apart and examine it? Or did they just show up, looked thru them, and agreed to carry them? I'm just curious.

I have no idea what led them to this path. There is any number of possibilities. Not the least is keeping an eye on competitive products and any potential to increase sales. I have no doubt that somebody at Vortex/Eagle optics looked at them at least. Maybe Sam did take one apart for all I know.

Now, I'm off to check my account balance. No, it is NOT compulsive spending|:D|

Given EO's generous return policy and warranty, I would guess they checked these out pretty well. They may even have had some input into elements of the design.

I wonder if EO just said "We'd like to order some of those" or if they had any input into modifications for their version. It would be great is they improved the focus speed and specified a better strap, objective covers, etc. The Promaster, Hawke and ZenRay did have some differences, so maybe these will be improved in some way.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back