• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most bang for budget buck - Pro Optic 8 x 42 8.3 ED? (1 Viewer)

birdazzLED

I saw this over at amazon: Pro Optic 8 x 42 8.3 ED for $200. What do you think? Is it a re-brand or re-badge of a (well) known Chinese manufacture? The Center Focus, Center Diopter sounds interesting to me.

21yrgbmuhflsl500aa200.jpg

Technical Details

* ED Glass
* Open Hinge Roof System
* BAK4 Prism
* Center Focus, Center Diopter
* FMC, Phase Coating

I'm thinking of buying this or the latest Zen Ray Summit with dielectric coating (when it comes out)

Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Unless you are hooked on the open hinged design, buy a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. You would be hard pressed to find a better value. And you will be better served in the years to come by buying an established name brand optic than any of these here today, gone tomorrow rebranded models.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
You can read my review in the Bushnell forum. Some folks have issues with the eyecups and generous eyerelief due to its ultrawide FoV. Always better to have too much ER rather than too little. There are easy workarounds if it bothers you.

Bushnell's catalog specifically indicates phase coated prisms and fully multi-coated optics, and Rainguard HD in the specs. The buzzword they seem to lack is dielectric prism coatings. You won't miss them.

Rick

There's a couple of (somewhat) negative reviews at amazon and there is no phase coating

The Legend HD is phase coated. Since you ae in Portland, you can get a look at the Zen Ray stuff first hand. It should be pretty easy to find just about whatever you want around there to try out. The new ZRS HD with dielectric coatings will be available March 1. Ace Camera carries the Zen Ray stuff.

I have not had much hands on experience with the Legend HD, but it seems like a pretty decent glass.

Almost any stock objective covers have at least some chance of being somewhat loose. I'd forget them and replace them with Quake Bushwacker or Butler Creek flip ups. I use one or the other an almolst all of my binoculars.

I'd have my suspicions that the glass you linked is maybe an open bridge variant of the Bushnell. Specs look pretty similar.

Last edited:
The Legend HD is phase coated. Since you ae in Portland, you can get a look at the Zen Ray stuff first hand.

I'd have my suspicions that the glass you linked is maybe an open bridge variant of the Bushnell. Specs look pretty similar.

I'm trying to stay at $200 preferably less. Do you mean the Pro Optic 8 x 42 8.3 ED as the open bridge variant? Does the Bushnell have Center Focus, Center Diopter?

Last edited:
Yes center focus of course. The LOCKING diopter adjustment is on the right ocular as is the norm for most binoculars.

If you use the Bing shopping/search engine you can save a few $ too. I bought 2 for ~$196ea. after Bing rebate including a coupon (offer now expired) for really nice almost free camo fleece jacket from B&H. Already got one of two jackets last week.

Rick

T.... The new ZRS HD with dielectric coatings will be available March 1. Ace Camera carries the Zen Ray stuff....

Well, that 'splains it, Lutcy. The ZRS 10x42 HD is selling for only $175 PLUS you get a $32 Zen-Ray 12x32 High Power Ruby Coated Binoculars with it for FREE.

I guess they are trying to get rid of the old stock before the new model comes out.

I'm hoping ZR will expand its offerings like Vortex and come out with other configurations such as a 10x50 ED2, a 15x56 ED2, and an 8x36 ZRS HD2.

++++++++edit==========

Perhaps I should just buy the Celestron Regal LX 10x42 for $169 and be done with this. I get so caught up in specs and wanting the best for my dollar that good deals pass up. rather have 8x42 but they are no longer available anywhere

I think that 12x32 High Power Ruby is more or less a toy. I would never buy something like that.

No thoughts or opinions on the Pro Optic 8 x 42 8.3 ED for $200? Do they appear to be a rebrand of a known bin? What other bin has a center diopter?

Best bing price on the bushnell is $203.32 no free shipping. This place also does not mention phase coating which should be a prominent feature. Also I do wear reading glasses which i'm finding increasingly needed beyond reading now. I read that the Bushnell has sacrificed some eye relief for FOV.

FEATURES:

* ED Prime Glass.

* Ultra Wide Band Coating.

* RainGuard HD water-repellent lens coating.

* Ultra wide field-of-view.

* Long eye-relief.

* Lightweight, magnesium chassis.

* Waterproof/fogproof.

* Soft touch grips.

* Locking diopter.

* Includes premium carry case, neckstrap, microfiber lens cloth and deluxe binocular harness.

Last edited:
I believe ProOptic is a house brand for Adorama.

Bushnell is GLOBAL sports optics brand with R&D, manufacturing, service center and a 50yr history. There really are only a handful of sports optics brands that are comparable.

Why do you think having a center diopter is important feature? The only thing a diopter needs to do is provide sufficient adjustment range for your vision and then most importantly stay LOCKED in place once adjusted.

Please download the Bushnell 2009 catalog PDF from their website and check page5 for the Legend Ultra HD spec table if you demand written proof of phase coatings.

Seems Amazon shows the 8x42 Legend Ultra HD for $207 shipped. Again, you will hard pressed to find an ultrawide FoV roof with ED glass and Rainguard water-repellent lens coating, a fast focuser, the excellent case, strap and harness AND Lifetime Warranty for this price. Plus I see Bushnell has renewed the offer of the almost free fleece pullover camo jacket thru 2010.

Rick

I saw this over at amazon: Pro Optic 8 x 42 8.3 ED for $200. What do you think? Is it a re-brand or re-badge of a (well) known Chinese manufacture? The Center Focus, Center Diopter sounds interesting to me.

21yrgbmuhflsl500aa200.jpg

Technical Details

* ED Glass
* Open Hinge Roof System
* BAK4 Prism
* Center Focus, Center Diopter
* FMC, Phase Coating

I'm thinking of buying this or the latest Zen Ray Summit with dielectric coating (when it comes out)

Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Nice clean looking bin. And I like black. From the spec (not always a reliable guide to quality) it seems good value - similar to Zen-Ray ED(1)? It looks similar to the Viking ED (second image from left) which retails for about three times as much!

Not too keen myself though on the centre-dioptic adjuster. I haven't tried this (so I should shut up) but it looks like a gimmick to me. Each to his own - you obviously like the centre-dioptic on the Vixen Atrek.

@RJM: You are little harsh on birdazzLED, no? He drew our attention to a bin we haven't seen before (I hadn't anyway), and asked what we thought about the specs. Then he pointed out that one link for the Bushnell didn't mention phase coating and he wanted to double check the spec. Are these actions so unreasonable?

Thanks for your posts BirdazzLED, welcome to BirdForum.

PS I too have more LED torches than I need. And don't get me started on multi-tools. There's a British range called True Utility. I eat their stuff. Leathermen(?) are too expensive, I only have one, that was a gift brought back from NY.

Last edited:
As I was saying, I'm looking for most bang for buck and i'm not too worried about warranty at $200 or less. I mean this isn't rocket science what could go wrong? I have some very old bins that still work well - been banged around a lot and still collimated.

I do see your point with the Bushnell and may order that model - though i've always thought Bushnell, in my younger years, to be the lower end division of Bausch and Lomb. So I always thought of Bushnell as junk. I did buy a pair of (cheap) Bushnell roof's at Costco a couple years ago and they fell apart in just a few days. I returned them.

spitfiretriple, did you have to link to True Utility? Now i'm salivating over their stuff! I love high tech gear, gadgets, and tools! I just can't get enough!.

Last edited:
spitfiretriple, did you have to link to True Utility? Now i'm salivating over their stuff! I love high tech gear, gadgets, and tools! I just can't get enough!.
You started it - you might cause me to drop $200 on the Pro-Optics!
(Though they need to add dielectric coating if they are to keep up with the ZRS)

NB True Utility kit feels remarkably good quality for the price. The blades for example use 420 steel, albeit not the fancy AUS steels of the Leathermen. But can usually be found for less than the full RRP - aim for half the website-quoted prices.

PS More info on the Pro-Optic 8x42 8.3

Last edited:
Hehe, fair enough.

I thought I read (somewhere) that the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD does have phase coating but it doesn't even mention it at Bushnell's website! However, it does mention phase coating for their model Legend Roof Prisms. In fact, it's first on the list. Only the catalog specifies phase coating. Why leave such a critical feature out of the main ad?

See what the new Legends are made of.

Quite possibly the best binocular system ever made in this class of optics. The Legend Ultra-HD has three key ingredients that make it so: ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Prime Glass which produces a color tuned, high resolution image. Ultra Wide-Band Custom Coating which produces the brightest possible light by coating each lens individually to maximize available light. RainGuardHD – Bushnell’s patented permanent water-repellant coating. The Legend Ultra-HD also has an extremely wide field of view to easily view moving animals or objects and is lightweight with a streamlined feel. As a Bonus, the Legend Ultra-HD comes with a Deluxe Binocular Harness and premium case with microfiber cleaning cloth. Available in 8x42mm, 10x42mm and 10x42mm with Realtree® AP Camo.

Last edited:
Google translation of a Chinese blog about the Pro-Optic 8x42 8.3
It's barely readable I'm afraid.
It has lots of photos I don't reproduce here
The fourth photo suggests the FoV is 7.8° not 8.3°
The last photo shows the bin sitting on a catalogue for...
Xi'An Vision Opto-Electronic Co Ltd
Here's another link Hmm. The second bridge appears to be missing

New non-axial design of the West-ray binoculars initial impression (2009-07-19 15:28:18)
标签: 杂谈 Tags: Zatan 分类: 望远镜玩家 Category: Telescope Players

走马观花,谈几点简单的印象和建议做工方面: Cursory talk about a few simple impressions and recommendations of the working areas:
1、饰皮采用黑色压花加塑橡胶,质感细致,防滑不错;试样版饰皮接缝较宽在成品版已较好的解决;建议如果采用彩色饰皮会提升成品的灵动感。 1, decorated with a black embossed leather plus plastic rubber, texture detail, a good anti-skid; sample version of decorated leather seams in the finished version has a better wide solution; recommendations, if adopted will enhance the finished skin color ornaments spiritual dynamic.
2、重量轻型化思想得以贯彻,采用了镁合金金属镜体,重量感觉与航2差别不太大,尺度控制合理,属于适合携带的日用型产品。 2, the weight of light-based thinking can be implemented, using a magnesium alloy metal mirror body, the weight difference between feeling and freedom are not two large-scale control is reasonable, are suitable for carrying household products. 镜筒较EL8*32略粗,握持充实。 Tube a little thicker than the EL8 * 32, grip enrichment.
3、在采用无中轴设计和中拨轮调焦的同时,对屈光度调节采用了专利单指按压扣技术,使得调焦完全可以单手独立完成。 3, in the use of non-axial design and the Jog Dial, while focusing on the diopter adjustment uses a patented single-push button technology that makes focusing entirely with one hand alone. 这一点较莱卡、蔡斯、施华的中焦轮双指抽拉完成屈光度调节更加便于单手操作,为亮点之一。 This is compared with Leica, Zeiss, Silva's focus in the completion of round two fingers Withdrawing diopter adjustment easier one-hand operation, as one of the highlights. 实际操作感觉确实很方便,单指压的力度也适中,调节顺畅到位。 Hands-on feel really convenient, just referring to the intensity of pressure is also moderate, regulate and smooth in place. 中调焦轮转动压盖不随动;建议按压扣最好有个着力面大些的顶帽,使得指压感能更好些。 Focusing rotation of the gland is not servo; suggested the best push button has a bigger focus on the top surface cap, making sense of that pressure can be better.
4、旋升式眼罩旋转顺滑、三档调节,挡位感很明确。 4, spin-spin smooth eye-lift, third gear adjustment, gear feeling is clear. 个人感觉较蔡斯FL好,顺滑度接近施华SLC;挡位较蔡斯和施华清晰。 Personal feeling better than Chase, FL, smooth is nearly Silva SLC; gear than Chase and Silva clarity.
5、中轴转动力度感合适;缺点还是有润滑油渗出状况。 5, a sense of right axial rotation efforts; shortcomings still have oil leaking condition.
6、观察内部金属件表面光洁程度和规整度好,外表亚光漆面均匀。 6, observe the internal metal parts and smooth surface extent and regularity is good, uniform appearance of matte finish.
光学方面: Optical aspects:
1、采用了多层的全表面镀膜,据介绍采用了相位模,外侧镜片表面采用了憎水膜。 1, using the entire multi-layer coating on the surface, it is reported using the phase mode, the outer lens surface of the water-repellent membrane. 目镜为紫红色,物镜为墨绿色,反光不大。 Eyepiece as purple, dark green lens is, is not reflective. 物镜的绿色膜比较老套给人有些失望,反映出的膜色不够丰富。 Comparison of old-fashioned green lens gives the film a little disappointed, reflecting the film and color-rich. 用观测白纸及比对法观察,偏色倾向为褐偏粉色,色感比SE、SW-H等等要重,与战神差不多,但透光率不如战神8*30,(由于存在反射光路,屋脊的透光率通常低于保罗)。 White and compared with the observations were observed, tend to the brown side pink color cast, color sense than the SE, SW-H, and so we must pay attention, and Mars is almost, but not as good as God of War light transmission rate of 8 * 30, (due to existence of the reflected light path of the light transmission rate is usually lower than the roof Paul). 强烈建议能够调整反射膜系及选择色泽丰富的增透膜系,以改善偏色状况和有效提高透光率。 Is strongly recommended that the Department can adjust and select the color reflective film AR-rich layers, in order to improve the color cast situation and effectively improve the transmission rate.
2、色差校正效果好,能达到中高端镜子水准,ED片的采用还是有必要。 2, chromatic aberration correction effect is good, can achieve the standard of high-end mirrors, ED tablet use is still necessary. 是这个镜子的亮点之一。 One of the highlights is the mirror.
3、畸变校正和平场校正效果比较好,像质退化极其边缘。 3, distortion correction effect of the peace better field correction, image quality degradation is extremely marginal. 也是这个镜子亮点之一。 This mirror is also one of the highlights. 但与佳能10*42IS比较,平场过渡还有些差距,边缘1/4开始有轻微滚球效应。 But with the Canon 10 * 42IS compared to flat-field transition was also some gaps, edge 1 / 4 small bowls began to have effect.
4、属于大视场设计,视野较为开阔;成像清晰度与锐度不错。 4, belong to large field of design, vision is more open; image clarity and sharpness well. 但由于观测环境限制,没有进行过细的比对。 However, observational constraints, no meticulous compared.

Last edited:
lol - mostly gibberish.

I don't get what the big deal over Zen Ray ED is when one can buy a Bushnell ED for less. Aren't the Bushnell's just as good?

One thing that concerns me is I wouldn't mind having a longer bin - focal length, for greater depth of field.

I do like the bridge of the Pro-Optic. It's very clean and uncluttered looking.

you obviously like the centre-dioptic on the Vixen Atrek.

no center dioptic on the vixen, just a nice fine tooth click stop right dioptic.

It's 2:30 am. I really need to shut down my other addiction and get some sleep: computers and internet

Last edited:
lol - mostly gibberish.

I don't get what the big deal over Zen Ray ED is when one can buy a Bushnell ED for less. Aren't the Bushnell's just as good?

One thing that concerns me is I wouldn't mind having a longer bin - focal length, for greater depth of field.

I do like the bridge of the Pro-Optic. It's very clean and uncluttered looking.

no center dioptic on the vixen, just a nice fine tooth click stop right dioptic.

It's 2:30 am. I really need to shut down my other addiction and get some sleep: computers and internet

Take a look through the 7x36 ED 2's from Zen, talk to Charles he is very helpful! I haven't looked through the new Bushnell yet? I do know the older Legend was a well built glass with average optics, the newer model seems they have went away from build quality in favor of optical quality? I know RJM is pushing this model but, I could careless that Zen-Ray is a new co. From my dealings with them they are top's and the 7x36 is great glass! I haven't really looked through the ZRS HD Zen wich is more in you're price range, have read good reports though! If you want to try the Pro-optic have at it just make sure you report back to us on how it performs! Good luck! Bryce... P.S. I hope they have some kind of return policy? Zen gives you 30days if your not happy- REFUND! That way you can still get something that fit's you and that's what it is all about!!! And I'm not pushing Zen, because I have lot's of other brands as well!

No they are not. Take a look side by side. It doesn't take too long to figure it out. The Legend is a very nice binocular, but...

What Bill C says on that Pro Optic thread:

Please keep in mind that there are NO consumer binos actually MADE in The States--despite what the vendor wants you to believe!

Yet no one has pulled the trigger on a purchase! I'm very tempted at that price.

I'm thinking the $175 ZRS would be the safest bet from what i've read from EdZ.

The Bushnell's are probably made in China as well. Even Leopold:

"All Leupold Gold Ring products are made here in Beaverton Oregon.Always have been. The glass has always come from Asia. In order for usto acquire the quantity of optical glass that we need and the qualitythat we need that has always been our best source. But everything elseis made and built here in Beaverton Oregon. Sharon"

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back