• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wood of cree (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
just got back from wood of cree reserve in south west scotland. went there hoping to 'see a couple of buzzards', bit of an under statement really- saw more in the first hour than i have seen in my entire life!!! they were everywhere. was watching one circling trees at a red kite viewpoint, when it was suddenly attacked by 2 ravens which dwarfed the buzzard!!! another one gave me fantastic views when we came across it perched on a pylon some 30ft away!. had an eventful day in the forest while trying to watch goldcrests. managed to spot one amongst the tits and chaffinches, just started to bring binos upto my eyes when BAM!! a sparrowhawk snatched a chaffinch from the tree right in front of us! i dont know who was more startled!- us or the remaining birds. fantastic day, well worth the 320mile round trip. :clap:

Sounds like you have had a good day Salty!!
I have just been reading today that Buzzard numbers are doing really well and may have even overtaken Kestrel and Sparrowhawk numbers in the UK! 31-44,000 pairs estimated. Expanding Eastwards and re-colonising areas from which they have been absent for more than a hundred years!
Brian

well, i was out from 9am-7pm and saw (1) sparrow hawk, (15+) kestrels, (20+) buzzards. so they seem to be doing really well around north england/south scotland! lets hope them the best for the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back