• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon, Oman (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Sorry one more from the "birds my wife won't stop obsessing about" bucket. I say it's a Hobby, she finds her reasons to call it an Amur Falcon (which I suppose are mostly rooted in her wish to tick an Amur Falcon). What do you think?

Attachments

• bMG_0161.JPG
    bMG_0161.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 128
  • bMG_0106-001.JPG
    bMG_0106-001.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 128
  • bMG_0105.JPG
    bMG_0105.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 101
  • bMG_0102.JPG
    bMG_0102.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 119
  • bMG_0099.JPG
    bMG_0099.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 128
The feet as well as the vent feathers are red, so it's not a Hobby. I don't know enough to tell between Red-footed and Amur, but I'm fairly sure it's one of those two.

The feet as well as the vent feathers are red, so it's not a Hobby. I don't know enough to tell between Red-footed and Amur, but I'm fairly sure it's one of those two.

Wait, I am confused now. I thought hobby does have a red vent, it's a rather prominent feature of it. Or am I kust confused by English names for body parts?

Red-footed does not occur in Oman, so that's rather easy (unless we allow for a first).

there are quite a few colour artefacts here (it is difficult to assess the lesser coverts of underwing) but the boldly barred flanks well visible in pic one are only present in female Amur Falcon and not in Hobby or Red-footed

Wait, I am confused now. I thought hobby does have a red vent, it's a rather prominent feature of it. Or am I confused by English names for body parts?.

Hobby would be red vent feathers but yellow feet.
the feet here look even more reddish than vent feathers which would only fit to the two red-footed species .

compare:

https://www.bto.org/sites/default/files/u8/images/bird-month/hobby/Hobby-David-Kjaer-001.jpg

also flank and general underside pattern looks much better for Amur falcon to me.

Last edited:
Looks like more than one bird here but missing feathers shows it's the same.

Barring is clearly visible on 3 but the bird appears completely brownish underneath in the last shot.

Wait, I am confused now. I thought hobby does have a red vent, it's a rather prominent feature of it. Or am I kust confused by English names for body parts?

Red-footed does not occur in Oman, so that's rather easy (unless we allow for a first).

AFAIK, the vent is a fairly small area where the tail joins the body. This birds shows red, extending further up than the vent proper, think about the white feathers under the tail of a Peregrine.

This drawing (2nd image) shows it well, the small buffy chevron behind the feet, beyond the feet is not the ventral area.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/hobby/

Last edited:
It looks like there's just one individual involved here as you can see the same gap in the bird's right wing in each image. I think this means that the gingery underpart coloration present in all the images to varying degrees is probably just a light effect.

Jan, when and where did you see it? I'm pretty sure it's an Amur.

It looks like there's just one individual involved here as you can see the same gap in the bird's right wing in each image. I think this means that the gingery underpart coloration present in all the images to varying degrees is probably just a light effect.

Jan, when and where did you see it? I'm pretty sure it's an Amur.

This is above Mirbat, at a lookout just above the ascent, on the road to Tawi Attair, around New Year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back