• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A curious sight (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
I was walking along the sea front in Barbate, Andulucia, on Wednesday evening around dusk. I suddenly realised that the beach had over 200 wagtails on it!! An amazing sight, but I have no explanation for it. Any ideas? I don't know if this is happening on other evenings as well.

Only ever saw it once; approaching a tree in Morocco it looked like some sort of fruit tree, perhaps full of lemons. All of a sudden, the 'fruit' flew off! In fact there were around 25 Yellow Wagatails which had been gathered on the tree before taking flight.

I was walking along the sea front in Barbate, Andulucia, on Wednesday evening around dusk. I suddenly realised that the beach had over 200 wagtails on it!! An amazing sight, but I have no explanation for it. Any ideas? I don't know if this is happening on other evenings as well.

Any chance it was a late feeding strategy ?
Sandfly/sandhopper activity ?

We have a well known roost of Pied Wags in Nottingham, right in front of the Theatre Royal or were. It's weird to walk past them at night when they're all twittering away to each other in the dark.

I once, years ago, pulled into what appeared to be a disused service station somewhere, completely abandoned and dark, the tarmac was just carpeted in Pied Wagtails, all lifting out of the way as my headlights swung across them, and then alighting again a few yards off. I was stopping for a snooze myself, and by the time I woke up they were gone. It was a most surreal experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back