• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white wagtail, singapore (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

Hi, This photo was taken 2 weeks ago in Singapore, It is a white wagtail? Thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 207
Yes, it is a White Wagtail.

Do you have any more photos? I think it should be subspecies ocularis, but there are some aspects (the amount of white in the greater coverts and the shape of the eyestripe) that look like lugens. Photos showing the rump pattern would be especially useful.

Yes ocularis does occur in Singapore and there have been several here over the winter.

Wuwu Not sure why you can't find White Wagtail on eBird for Singapore. The last report (also ssp ocularis) was on 15th Feb @ Neo Tiew Harvest Lane. I assume your photo is also from the raised area at NTHL as well!

Hi,: Thanks all. Yes, the photo was taken at NTHL. Just now, I "added" white wagtail species to the list for registration, I don't know why...I will check again, BR

White wagtail, Singapore

Yes, it is a White Wagtail.

Do you have any more photos? I think it should be subspecies ocularis, but there are some aspects (the amount of white in the greater coverts and the shape of the eyestripe) that look like lugens. Photos showing the rump pattern would be especially useful.

Just a few more photos for info., thanks

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 68
Thanks for posting the extra pictures.
I would say that this is from the subspecies lugens, based on:
- Mantle rather darkish grey, darker than typical for ocularis, with some area mottled blackish
- Eyestripe noticeably broader behind the eye than in front
- Greater coverts almost pure white. While ocularis can show fairly extensive white here, this bird seems extreme. I'm not entirely sure on the age of this bird, but it seems that the inner GC is blacker, suggesting that it may be a first winter. I don't think first winter ocularis would ever be this white in the wing.
- Lesser coverts are difficult to see, but look like they may be blackish.
- Rump is not clearly visible on this pictures. It looks dark (supporting lugens), but it's hard to be sure if that is just shadow.

I'm not sure of the current status of lugens in Singapore, but one of the links that Grahame shared mentions a bird in 2015 being the first record for 22 years, so it seems that it may be a real rarity. It's quite a northerly taxon and even in Hong Kong is uncommon (although probably often overlooked as ocularis). If possible, it may be worth trying to relocate the bird to get more photos, to help confirm the ID.

Incidentally, this webpage (http://singaporebirds.blogspot.com/2012/07/wagtails-pipits.html) contains two photos (by Con Foley on 27 Nov 05) labelled as first winter leucopsis that I think may actually be baicalensis (or perhaps even alba/dukhunensis - I'm not sure how to separate these in non-breeding plumage).

- Grey on mantle paler than leucopsis and extending onto rump. No black on rump or uppertail coverts.
- Black on throat sides more extensive than on leucopsis
- White in median and greater coverts less extensive than on leucopsis
- At least the second photo seems to have a grey wash on the flanks that would be unusual on leucopsis

This and other websites don'e mention baicalensis as occurring in Singapore, so this could be a significant sighting and worth further investigation.

Hi, John: I must say this is too deep for me as a new birder, hehe...But I will study further and understand more...Pls share more with me of the knowledge if you can, thanks!

White wagtail, Singapore

Yes ocularis does occur in Singapore and there have been several here over the winter.

Wuwu Not sure why you can't find White Wagtail on eBird for Singapore. The last report (also ssp ocularis) was on 15th Feb @ Neo Tiew Harvest Lane. I assume your photo is also from the raised area at NTHL as well!

Hi, Viator: I tried again to submit a new checklist to register White Wagtail at eBird. Screenshot 1 shows no White Wagtail in the list; and Screenshot 2 shows I added White Wagtail as a REAR species...Very strange, maybe I use the checklist wrongly? Pls advise, thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 47
Hi, Viator: I tried again to submit a new checklist to register White Wagtail at eBird. Screenshot 1 shows no White Wagtail in the list; and Screenshot 2 shows I added White Wagtail as a REAR species...Very strange, maybe I use the checklist wrongly? Pls advise, thanks a lot in advance

The first screenshot is showing default expected species i.e. doesn't include most rarities or any vagrants, if you click add species then as per your second shot after adding White Wagtail it's saying it's rare and you need to explain your id. This is the way it's supposed to work i.e. White Wagtail is indeed a rare bird (irrespective of sub-species) in SG.

John,

There have been more than usual White Wagtails in Singapore this year - and in fact a lot of surprises all round!

There was some discussion about a possible lugens earlier this month which may have even been this same bird given the location. There has also been a possible alba or baicalensis that was photographed this month

Of all things an African Pied Wagtail has turned up on an offshore island today - presumably ship assisted!

The first screenshot is showing default expected species i.e. doesn't include most rarities or any vagrants, if you click add species then as per your second shot after adding White Wagtail it's saying it's rare and you need to explain your id. This is the way it's supposed to work i.e. White Wagtail is indeed a rare bird (irrespective of sub-species) in SG.

Hi, Viator: Noted with much thanks. I managed to talk to the birder who registered white wagtail on 15 Feb, he did in the same way. Now, I know white wagtail is rare in Singapore. Thanks much:t:

John,

There have been more than usual White Wagtails in Singapore this year - and in fact a lot of surprises all round!

There was some discussion about a possible lugens earlier this month which may have even been this same bird given the location. There has also been a possible alba or baicalensis that was photographed this month

Of all things an African Pied Wagtail has turned up on an offshore island today - presumably ship assisted!

This is interesting. I have the impression that the numbers of ocularis have been down in HK this winter. Perhaps they moved further south than usual this year. The numbers of lugens also seem to be low (I've only seen one this winter), but that is pretty scarce here anyway.

African Pied Wagtail is a strange record. Like you say, surely ship-assisted!

Incidentally, this webpage (http://singaporebirds.blogspot.com/2012/07/wagtails-pipits.html) contains two photos (by Con Foley on 27 Nov 05) labelled as first winter leucopsis that I think may actually be baicalensis (or perhaps even alba/dukhunensis - I'm not sure how to separate these in non-breeding plumage).

- Grey on mantle paler than leucopsis and extending onto rump. No black on rump or uppertail coverts.
- Black on throat sides more extensive than on leucopsis
- White in median and greater coverts less extensive than on leucopsis
- At least the second photo seems to have a grey wash on the flanks that would be unusual on leucopsis

This and other websites don'e mention baicalensis as occurring in Singapore, so this could be a significant sighting and worth further investigation.

Hi, John: I have read the 2 links you provided, very informative. At least, I can see the difference of these few birds. Seems that I should pursue a post-graduate degree in birding :-O:-O:-O

John,

Assuming you're referring to the comments on the alba/baicalensis post on the Singapore Birders Facebook group? (Since I've not seen anyone else posting any lugens this season). If so, the lugens I saw were at the massive Yishun roost, not Neo Tiew Harvest Lane.

I haven't really gotten the impression that the number of White Wagtails this season is higher than usual - there were quite a lot of them at the roost when it was first discovered 2 years ago too. It doesn't change the fact that there indeed were a lot of surprises all round though!

But I might be wrong and am curious whether there's a way to map the density out through eBird data by ourselves (I'm sure Cornell can do some complicated modelling stuff, but not that complex) whether more birds have been pushed south this season. The number of Yellow-browed Warblers in this region right now, for one, is ridiculous.

eBird raw data can be treated in multiple ways, and mapping the density of one species in a particular area is indeed possible. Probably you'll need to do some work on R, or use an already written package

You can get an insight on how to do it here:

https://ropensci.org/blog/2018/08/07/auk/

But I might be wrong and am curious whether there's a way to map the density out through eBird data by ourselves (I'm sure Cornell can do some complicated modelling stuff, but not that complex) whether more birds have been pushed south this season. The number of Yellow-browed Warblers in this region right now, for one, is ridiculous.

Assuming you're referring to the comments on the alba/baicalensis post on the Singapore Birders Facebook group? (Since I've not seen anyone else posting any lugens this season). If so, the lugens I saw were at the massive Yishun roost, not Neo Tiew Harvest Lane.

I haven't really gotten the impression that the number of White Wagtails this season is higher than usual - there were quite a lot of them at the roost when it was first discovered 2 years ago too. It doesn't change the fact that there indeed were a lot of surprises all round though!

I thought that the number of several species on southward migration in Hong Kong last year was higher than usual, and I wonder if birds in East Asia had a good breeding season. Yellow-browed Warbler was one of the species that I thought was especially notable - at one point last autumn they were extremely common here.

eBird raw data can be treated in multiple ways, and mapping the density of one species in a particular area is indeed possible. Probably you'll need to do some work on R, or use an already written package

You can get an insight on how to do it here:

https://ropensci.org/blog/2018/08/07/auk/

Thank you for sharing this. I've been trying to learn R in recent months (I find it difficult though :-C). I may try looking at this program to see if I could use it for any analysis.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back