• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk - last week July first week August (1 Viewer)

Gordon

I've had a search through the forum for Norfolk info but didn't find anything really relating to this period.

As with most other people I'm well aware of the main coastal sites - and info re inland sites is easy enough to locate. What I'm really looking for is advice re visiting inland sites at these times. I appreciate other wildlfe and a good walk on its own in a good location I would consider worthwhile but advice re the birding inland would be MUCH appreciated.

We'll (wife and me) be camping at Burnham Deepdale for at least 7 nights from July 26th.

many thanks in advance
Gordon

Gordon,

Have you been to Weeting Heath near Brandon? Good for Stone Curlew and Woodlark.

Also the raptor watchpoint at Great Ryburgh for Honey Buzzard, Hobby etc is well worth a look.

Won't go into detail as you may already know of these, but let me know if you need any further info.

Good birding,

Liz

Gordon said:
I've had a search through the forum for Norfolk info but didn't find anything really relating to this period.

As with most other people I'm well aware of the main coastal sites - and info re inland sites is easy enough to locate. What I'm really looking for is advice re visiting inland sites at these times. I appreciate other wildlfe and a good walk on its own in a good location I would consider worthwhile but advice re the birding inland would be MUCH appreciated.

We'll (wife and me) be camping at Burnham Deepdale for at least 7 nights from July 26th.

many thanks in advance
Gordon

wotcha gordy

sorry but not too sure what you're asking for there, but a wander round Strumpshaw / Buckenham, Wheatfen, or Upton Fen at this time of year (or, tbh, any time of year) is lovely. Depends how far inland you mean really.

rush Hill scrape near potter heigham should be worth a look by then too ...

and breydon Water / berney marshes - plenty of info lurking about somewhere on here i'm sure ... although i suppose they are more "coastal"

if you fancy branching out a little try a bike ride from Norwich to Loddon that goes through Whitlingham, Surlingham & Rockland ... c20 miles inland

Thanks for your comments.

Karl J - I was really just wondering if I had maybe left it a bit late for the inland "specialities". For instance, the Stone Curlews mentioned by Liz, or perhaps the Orioles etc.

Cheers
gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back