• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A week on Brier Island (1 Viewer)

rb_stern

Richard stern
We have a cottage on Brier Island, Nova Scotia, and have just spent a week there. It's at the end of a long peninsula, and is a major migratory spot for birds, including hawks and shorebirds.

We had 83 bird species, about average for late August, and 4 better than the same week last year. There were no real rarities, except for 1 Baird's sandpiper that hung out on Pond Cove beach. As the week went on the numbers of everything got smaller, although at the end the strong NW wind brought some Sharp-shins and more N. harriers. Shorebirds were scattered around the Island and Freeport, with Pond Cove a bit of a disappointment - possibly because Merlins were harrassing them there. The 83 included 6 Raptors, 15 Shorebirds and 12 Warblers, although other birders on the Island ( banding at N.Point, and a group of 5 visiting Brits) saw some that I didn't. The highlight for me was not any rarity, but hundreds of Red-breasted Nuthatches all over the island early in the week - a sight I haven't seen for several years.

I'll post some pics from the week (birds, flowers, whales, scenery) in the Gallery over the next little while.

Richard

Looking forward to them Richard.

When you do post, give us all a pointer in this thread.

Cheers. :t:

Hi,

Keep looking in the gallery latest shots over the next few days, or do a search in the gallery for all shots from rb_stern, and you'll find them.

Cheers,

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back