• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Irish Twites!! (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
Having seen these lively little birds, this is dear to my heart.
If you can participate in this, then great! If you can't (most of you, not being in Ireland), then at least you may know something about the status of this gorgeous little bird in the Emerald Isle.
(Taken from Wings, BirdWatch Ireland's quarterly publication)

"Twite populations in Ireland have thought to be in decline since the beginning of the last century. However, serious declines have taken place have taken place over the past thirty years...
Twite has been listed in the Irish Red Data Book and on the Red List of Birds Of Conservation Concern in Ireland.
This project will run from a total of three years and is being supervised by Dr Don Cotton, at the Institute of Technology, Sligo. Some of the questions the project is attempting to answer include:

- What areas in Ireland are most important for Twite?
- Where do Twite that breed in Ireland spend the winter?
- Do the Twite that spend the winter also breed here?
- What type of habitat do Twite need in the summer/winter?
- What food to Twite require in the summer/winter?
- What measures could be put in place to ensure they continue to survive as a breeding species here?

Current estimates put the Irish Twite population somewhere between 100-150 pairs, leaving the future of Irish Twite in a somewhat precarious position.

The study is focusing in particular on two populations, namely those on north Co Mayo and west Co Donegal."

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP

Report:
- Ringed or unringed Twites throughout Ireland.
- Information on previous breeding records.
- Effort watches of colour-ringed birds.

Email to twitestudy 'at' yahoo.ie

Report by Derek McLoughlan

Howrya mabel, can´t help ´cos I´ve never seen a Twite. Have you seen them in Ireland? They´re on my wish list, I´ve searched many times in West Clare (reputed to be still a pair or two around the Cliffs of Moher) but never with success.

My stock hails from Clare Island, in Co. Mayo - I used to see them, as I remember positively ID'ing them when I was younger... last year I saw none... but maybe I overlooked them. It's just if you travel or just happen to see them around... we've already lost Corn Bunting, it would be a shame if we lost these guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back