• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera recommendations (1 Viewer)

Yippeekiay

Well, I've been looking at the Fuji F70EXR and almost went for it until I found it doesn't take photos in RAW. Now it's "search on" again and I just don't have the hours I'd like for researching this thread by thread, site by site. PLEASE... Would anyone have a reccommendation or two for me to look at?
I've a Pentax Pf65edII w/ xw14 eyepiece and would really like to start catching some of the things I see in the field on "film". Actual requisites aren't too bad. As stated I'd like to be able shoot in Raw format, Under $300, I like the idea of an above average sensor (hence, the EXR). Besides that almost anything goes.
There is one question about zoom, though. Being new to digiscoping I see where low (2-3x) zoom is preferred. Is there anything stating that I couldn't go with, say, a 10x and just keep it down around 2or3x? Because I'd like to be able to use the camera w/out the scope also...

RAW is pretty much useless on a P&S. Not much payoff from post-processing and it always inhibits most of the camera's functionality and shooting speed. You really have to blow the exposures to get any value from it. Better off spending time learning to be a better photographer and get with a camera that allows tweaks to the cameras JPEG settings, especially the amount of noise reduction applied.

That said if you want a very digiscoping friendly RAW-capable camera today, the Panasonic FX150 is your ticket. The included Silkypix RAW converter can is very good too if you can master it. If you can wait a few weeks, the new Canon S90 may be the best new choice.

Problem will be how to mount it on the XW lens. Any ideas?

FWIW, I have the original Pentax PF-DS1 digiscoping adapter with Pentax Optio 5z digiscoping kit that Pentax marketed for your PF65ED. Nothing lighter or easier to use on that scope. It is a pretty sweet package but the camera is only 5mp and dated by today's standards. Since I no longer have a Pentax fieldscope, I have been using it on my astro scope for Moon pics.

cheers,
Rick

Quite honestly I've done more research on DSLR's than P/S and raw was highly reccommended. But I am willing to forego that format if it's more trouble than it's worth in the P/S arena. I'm also more than willing to spend time learning to be a better photographer. Thats definitely the beauty of digital, you get the instant feedback. My Fiance' is taking a photo course in college and it's film based. Night and day right there.
So are the xw ep's hard to mount camera's to? Have to fabricate something?And what about the EXR? Back on the table?
Sorry for the question barrage but I'm kind of stoked about this!

Removing the XW rubber eyecup reveals a M43 thread. The Pentax PF-DS1 adapter can thread directly on. Problem is that adapter is discontinued and it only works with a few old 2004-5-era Pentax cameras. I've attached a few pics of what I had using the XF eyepieces.

Pentax USA has a new universal swing-out adapter but I think its connection to the scope is sketchy since it would need to grip to the eyepiece holder collet.

Finding a camera with a digiscoping friendly lens is getting harder and harder. Look for a lens that is 3-4x or with a 35mm equivalent range of 28mm-120mm. Another overlooked but important feature is the Menu user interface. As newer cameras get more complicated and feature laden, ease-of-use photographer friendly settings changes seemed to get buried in a maze of confusing menus. If you can't directly access a camera's key ISO, WB, aperture/shutter speed and exposure compensation with a quick button or with 2-3 button presses of the menu, don't buy it. Having a live onscreen histogram to confirm exposure when sunlight is too bright to easily see the LCD makes getting proper exposures much easier.

Once you start looking for these features, the number of compatible cameras shrinks down to a handful.

good luck,
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3060.JPG
    IMG_3060.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3062.JPG
    IMG_3062.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 99
Hmmm! Thought I posted a reply. Must not of gone through or something. Anyways..
What I'd said was that this seems a bit difficult for as easy a concept as point and shoot. Apparently adding the scope negates the simplicity.
I appreciate your answers and help.

Few cameras digiscope well without vignetting. The reason for using a camera with only a 3 or 4X zoom is that the high zoom cameras do NOT work for digiscoping, or at least are a real pain. Am not familiar with our scope, but do yourself a favor and get a camera that has a threaded filter adapter tube so that you can thread either directly to an eyepiece or a simple threaded digital adapter. The Nikon P6000 is know to be a fine camera for digiscoping. I like my LX3, but you have to have a modified adapter. The canon A-590 digiscopes well, but is not good at auto focus, better to manual focus with it, but less than $100 discontinued.

Do not think you must take a step down to use a P&S, they can be as sharp as any kit lens on a SLR. I like to use the Baadar Hyperion eyepieces, which have the standard astro 1 1/4 mount, and are threaded on top. Non-zoom eyepieces seem to be better for digiscoping. Gene Good luck.

Got one!. Actually it's the same one that's pictured 3 replies previous. RJM was nice enough to set me up w/ some decent yet inexpensive equipment. Works out perfect because I just need something to work @ getting good with and was really looking for a more powerful EP to boot.
By the way, RJM is Extremely (read: very, very, very) cool to deal with. Above and beyond is a good way to describe the support he graciously supplied.
I'll try and post some pictures when I get everything in order.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back