• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB hdx or hd. is there much difference? (1 Viewer)

Chris.o.

Was trying new binoculars at Arne and thought i had settled on the Viking Vistron 10x42 just about in my price range but the helpfully assistant said try these before you make your mind up. So tried the RSPB HDX which for me were amazing until i asked the price, over £600.
I'm now seeing a similar binocular on an auction site which is the RSPB hd in the £200 range earlier model perhaps but is there much difference between the two?
Many thanks.

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

It's been a while since I checked out the RSPB models and I wouldn't trust my memory, but I know my feeling was at the time was the best reason for choosing them was to support the charity. You could find better value elsewhere. I suggest you try a few more brands and models before deciding. I don't know the retailers down your way, but South West Optics at Truro might be the closest. A bit further afield there is an outfit called NHBS in Totnes, and InFocus at Slimbridge.

Hopefully others can offer a bit more help with those models.

David

Last edited:
Many thanks for the welcome and the reply,Typo.
I seem to have an eye problem because on most binoculars that i have tried i see two images,on some i can nearly get a large single view but not many.The rspb one seemed the best for me so far but only tried five or six and was thinking more price range at the time.Since then i have come to realise that i probably need a fairly good quality pair and surely need to have a look about.
I do get Totnes way a bit so that is an option but Truro isn't too far so will go along and have a look.To be honest didn't realise there were still shops down this way that had any real range of stock,so looking forward to a Truro trip.
Many thanks.

I too assist on a voluntary basis for the RSPB.

Is there much difference between the current HD and HDX? To my eyes no and I prefer the HD range over the HDX.

Looking at the ebay seller they had neutral feedback on the RSPB 8x36HD they sold, "it was not a successful transaction", was the comment. Also no returns on the current offering, so if your eye problem doesn't work with them you're screwed.

Also with the original HD's there was an issue with the focus wheel coming loose over time so you'd need to factor in a possible repair though the low start price is good, but if you're on a budget...

What would I advise in the £200 range if you'd seen me? The 8.5X WPG is a solid performer with a wide angle easy view and buying new you get a 10 year warranty. Maybe you looked at it?

Many thanks for your reply Dipped.
I seem to remember that i was viewing the cheaper ones first then tried the Vistron and then was offered the hdx.
so i probably never got to the wpg.
If i get a chance i will try them,if nothing else it will be part of a learning curve because to be honest i know nothing really.
Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

I seem to have an eye problem because on most binoculars that i have tried i see two images,on some i can nearly get a large single view

Hi
Your description sounds as if the distance between your eyes (called inter-pupillary distance or IPD for short) is rather short, and that the hinge on most binos doesn't close enough for the two circles of view to properly overlap into one circle. Is this correct?

Your description sounds familiar to me because I have an IPD of just 58.5 which means that although most binos fit me, there are some which only just manage it.

Fortunately most bino specs include the IPD range in mm so if my suggestion that IPD issues are your problem is right, you can draw up a short list of those with IPD ranges that extend down to smaller ones. I am sure you can remember some of the binos that definitely didn't fit you. Look up their IPDs and make a note of the smallest distance they close down to, and then start looking for binos that go smaller.

Good luck.

Lee

Last edited:
Many thanks Troubadour,i have spent some time with my wife's 10x42 cheapo's today trying to work out this i.p.d.thing.
She sees one large image straight away and her eyes are very close together,if i then use them i have to widen them about half way to get a sort of one image.

I also noticed that i have to have the eye caps out a bit else i am back to two images.
She is of the opinion that this is caused by me having an operation to correct a squint (double vision) when i was a kid.
My eyes will revert to double vision if i am tired or i can do it at will.

I remember that my eyes needed correcting not only on the horizontal but also vertical,if this makes sense.
Thanks for everyone's help and now i am going to only buy from a shop where i can try them,can then make sure they suit best i can.

Many thanks Troubadour,i have spent some time with my wife's 10x42 cheapo's today trying to work out this i.p.d.thing.
She sees one large image straight away and her eyes are very close together,if i then use them i have to widen them about half way to get a sort of one image.

I also noticed that i have to have the eye caps out a bit else i am back to two images.
She is of the opinion that this is caused by me having an operation to correct a squint (double vision) when i was a kid.
My eyes will revert to double vision if i am tired or i can do it at will.

I remember that my eyes needed correcting not only on the horizontal but also vertical,if this makes sense.
Thanks for everyone's help and now i am going to only buy from a shop where i can try them,can then make sure they suit best i can.

OK Chris, thanks for explaining.
Good luck with choosing and definitely try before you buy. Sounds like you should try out binos at steady pace to give your eyes time to recover in between. If they get tired from 'trying too hard' you might get false results.

Lee

Another factor I encountered with a pair of Opticron SRGAs, some years ago, an excellent pair of binoculars that could just be matched to my ipd. The eye cups were a bad match to my bone structure around my eye sockets, so it was stressful using them for extended periods trying to keep things aligned.

The binoculars were fine, I just needed a few slight skull adjustments.

One suggestion, if you are having difficulties, but really want a pair of binoculars is to try a range that will fit a childs face, as well as an adults, they have a narrower ipd and have smaller eye cups. Typical are Opticrons Savanna WP range, but clearly you will need to try anything first.

Another thought would be a pair of reverse porros, they generally have a small minimum ipd and the objectives are closer together that may help with your vertical dispacement problem, that a pair of standard porros may (stressing the may) make worse.

I suspect that there are people out there that would genuinely be very interested in hearing how you get on.

Well i have to say i am most impressed with the helpful suggestions that i have received on here,thanks to all.
When i manage to get to town and have a play with a few different models i will get back to let you know how it went.

Well i have tried Opticrom,Hawkes ,Hilkinson,Breeder and even a pair of Zeiss Trinivid.
In the end I narrowed it down to Hilkinson and Opticrom,i then had to decide 8x30 or 8x40 as the 10x the shake was not good.
My wife who was with me loved the 8x 30 Opticrom,lovely and light and surprisingly good,for a fairly cheap bin.
I was torn between the the above and the x40 so she suggested buy both,start with the smaller ones and if I'm not happy she would love them and i could get another pair.
So that is what we decided on and bought at a local shop for £150 after a bit of haggling.
Used them lots and they do suit me well and i still have the option of upgrading if needed.
Many thanks to all for your help.

Chris,

I'm guessing that was the Opticron Discovery 8x32. A very good place to start. Congratulations. I'm sure you will both enjoy them.

Just to be pedantic, Leica make the Trinivid. Zeiss' mid priced model is the Conquest HD. Don't worry, I'm rather prone to typos myself. ;)

David

Chris,

I'm guessing that was the Opticron Discovery 8x32. A very good place to start. Congratulations. I'm sure you will both enjoy them.

Just to be pedantic, Leica make the Trinivid. Zeiss' mid priced model is the Conquest HD. Don't worry, I'm rather prone to typos myself. ;)

David

Yes Typo it was the Discovery and also it was the Leica Trinivid .
The Leica was an older model,about twenty years old roughly but in amazing condition,you could tell the quality of them but didn't suit me which is a shame oh and over my budget really.

Chris,

David

What's a Trinivid?;)

I spent about 5 minutes comparing the 8x42 RSPB HD to the HDX and I couldn't tell the difference. I will try again some time, but I'm only a beginner with binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back