• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildflower Id Help (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I'm just starting to learn some of the wildflowers and this one has me stuck. I guess I'd better get a field guide asap. I took the pictures in southern Ontario at the beginning of June. The small book that I have on my local wildflowers doesn't show Ontario flowers. This one was growing in woodland that were fairly dry. In second picture there are two different leaves shown and I think that the lower growing ones may be the actually leaves of this plant, not the more obvious ones. I should have investigated more caefully.

Attachments

• DSCN6605.1.jpg
    DSCN6605.1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN6604.1.jpg
    DSCN6604.1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 146
snowyowl said:
I'm just starting to learn some of the wildflowers and this one has me stuck. I guess I'd better get a field guide asap. I took the pictures in southern Ontario at the beginning of June. The small book that I have on my local wildflowers doesn't show Ontario flowers. This one was growing in woodland that were fairly dry. In second picture there are two different leaves shown and I think that the lower growing ones may be the actually leaves of this plant, not the more obvious ones. I should have investigated more caefully.

Being British, with my only experience of the North American flora being confined to New York State, I ought to keep out of this.

However, I can say this is definitely a Cranesbill (Geranium) and such books as I have point strongly to it being Spotted Cranesbill (aka Wild Geranium) - Geranium maculatum.

Pretty well all the leaves in your photo (other than the violet (?) leaves) are Geranium leaves, some basal, some stem leaves, and I think you can assume all belong to your plant.
There might be other species my books don't tell me about, but with some experience of the characters of our British perennial species, I feel that your photo matches G. maculatum extremely well.

A quick Google search brings up a lot of photos, some with broader petals and some as garden forms, but many looking exactly like your plant.

Don't ask me where the spots are.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back