• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a 7x42 SLC to go with the recent and now discontinued 8/10x (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Going back in time through Swarovski posts, prompted by the news of discontinuation of 8x and 10x 42 SLC models, I came across this old thread:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=75127

Now I am a bit of a sevens fan -- don't have a Swarovski seven though -- and wanted a bit of advice. I am absolutely sold on both the 8x and 10x 42 SLCs, having the latest ones since this spring and enjoying both in extensive lockdown use. No hurry at all in view of these recent purchases, done before knowing anything about their imminent demise, but ultimately it could be great to have a 7x42 SLC also. Not having experience of the iteration history of this line I'm asking your advice on the correct model version names, optical and mechanical changes, and any distinguishing features in the 7x42 SLC line. How many versions were there, type of strap attachments, rainguard and objective covers, image features e.g. pincushion but still sharp out close to the edge or not, colour balance compared with current/latest 8 and 10x models, colour of armouring, possibly photos to help identification? Any models to prefer as well as to stay clear of? Oh yes, and weight / handling differences. Four of the things I really like with the recent 8 and 10x are their compactness, balance, weight and handling.

Finally, some Swarovski models were named Neu (new) but subsequently newer versions came out without that name. Please help me in any possible confusion over that trap; much appreciated.

No need to mention alternative makes: it's only this SLC line that takes my fancy for the purposes of this post!

Many thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
Four of the things I really like with the recent 8 and 10x are their compactness, balance, weight and handling.
Tom

This violates your request not to mention other brands, but although I think the 7x42NEU is a fine bino, the Leica 7x42UV/HD/HD+ gives a view that's just as sharp/bright/wide/clear, is more compact, lighter, and it handles better. Just my opinion, of course, but I have both, and when I head for the field it's the Leica that comes with me: better ergonomics and a beautiful view.

But if you're set on Swarovski for sentimental reasons, by all means buy a 7x42NEU; it's an excellent bino.

Mine is a SLC 7X42B NEU and was made in 2008. It features SWAROBRIGHT and Easy to Clean. That's probably pretty close to the last year they were made. It's comes across as the highest quality SLC I have and maybe any Swarovski binocular period. The focus adjustment is probably the best of any Swarovski binocular I've ever owned. Documents included with it indicate:

ER- 19mm
FOV- 420ft/1000yds
Diopter adjustment- +/- 3
Close focus- 13ft
Weight- 33.5oz

One thing I've noticed is previous versions don't have the same case. A few pics will be included at the bottom.

For sure I've never had ANY reason to purchase any other 7X42. This binocular is superb. It lags slightly behind the current UVHD+ and Meostar B.1 in terms of light transmission and with the FL a little more so. In the field of course this is really never noticed. I think this model would be a nice addition for you.

Attachments

• 557BFC2B-75DF-47D8-8286-A28AC4864A83.jpeg
    557BFC2B-75DF-47D8-8286-A28AC4864A83.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 141
  • BA6E3E8D-11A8-473E-804A-0FD1BC3CBAA9.jpeg
    BA6E3E8D-11A8-473E-804A-0FD1BC3CBAA9.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 115
Hi Tom (post #1),

In relation to changes to the SLC 7x42 . . .

• In mid 1992 production of both the 7x42 and the 10x42 commenced (the 8x42 SLC was only introduced in 2010, along with the all new 10x42)
The earliest x42 I’ve observed is a 10x42 model numbered D6226 07783, and the earliest 7x42 is D6237 10189

• By early 2003 at the latest, Swarobright/ dielectric prism coating was present on the 7x42 SLC (it was indicated on the box label)
It’s present by D7303/ but not D7027 (and it was introduced on the 10x42 by early 2001 at the latest, by D7103/ but not D7039)
n.b. Swarobright was introduced progressively across the SLC line over several years - it seems that each model required a different combination of coatings

• At the start of 2005 the ‘neu’ rubber armour covering was introduced across all the SLC line (observed from D7503)

• By mid 2007 Swaroclean was introduced across all the SLC line (the box label was marked ‘Easy to Clean’, with the earliest observed D7727/ but not D7721)

• At the start of 2009 the Swarotop/ anti-reflective coatings were updated (so D79 on)
See Dale Forbes' comments in post #29 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=155446

The original x42 models were discontinued in 2010. The last observed 7x42 is D8013 84600, and the last observed 10x42 is D8033 87526

- - - -

Across the life of the original SLC x42 series there were 3 different rubber armour coverings:
- the original single colour coating with distinct ‘shoulders’, in either green or black
- the updated single colour coating without the ‘shoulders’, in either green or black
- the 2 colour neu coating in green and black

See the 3 versions on the x30 models, in the third image in post #11 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380550
n.b. RA coatings are often replaced during servicing, so they are only indicative as to dating a unit and therefore it’s original features, see post #12 in the link

- - - -

The 7x42 SLC is known for it’s optical quality including a large ‘sweet spot’. There are lot of threads on the forum with positive comments

And it seems that Swarovski made a special effort with the 7x42, since at it’s introduction it was competing with the likes of the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and the 7x45 Night Owl,
and the Leica 7x42 BA
This is reflected in the notably greater weight of the 7x42 SLC compared the 10x42 - an extra 2.8 oz/ 80 g - which implies significantly more glass was used

John

p.s. by sometime in 1999 Swarodur/ hard external lens coating was present on the SLC line (using Wayback, by then it was listed on the Swarovski website on the SLC line)
- so all production from 2000 on (D70 on) will have Swarodur

Attachments

• SLC x42's.jpg
    SLC x42's.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 59
  • SLC 7x42.jpg
    SLC 7x42.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Swarovski Binoculars 2005 catalogue.jpg
    Swarovski Binoculars 2005 catalogue.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I wonder what is the accurate apparent field of view of the FL 7X42 is, and compared to say,... the Leica UV HD. I find that the APOV is lacking in many 7X glass.

Andy W.

This violates your request not to mention other brands, but although I think the 7x42NEU is a fine bino, the Leica 7x42UV/HD/HD+ gives a view that's just as sharp/bright/wide/clear, is more compact, lighter, and it handles better. Just my opinion, of course, but I have both, and when I head for the field it's the Leica that comes with me: better ergonomics and a beautiful view.

But if you're set on Swarovski for sentimental reasons, by all means buy a 7x42NEU; it's an excellent bino.

Hi John,

Thank you; everyone is allowed one violation and gets off with just a caution! Seriously though, thank you for the suggestion. The reason I said about the other makes is that I have some already, including the 7x42 U+ and have a love/hate relationship with it at present. For though it gives me a wonderful view and I can't fault it on its own, if I pick up my old Dialyt or FL the definition feels instantaneously better. I might have it looked at but perhaps this is the price of the great view. Or some mental block even; I really just need somebody else to try it and see what they say. Only a week ago when using it away from home and with nothing to compare it with I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread (not that I am that smitten by sliced bread but it's the saying).

Every Swarovski I have tried or have bought has that same instantaneous snap as the Dialyt 7 and though I have no problem with the EL series at all the SLCs in 42 take my breath away. Probably the traditional view with tremendous contrast.

Thanks for your advice and if you have any thoughts on my strange times with the UVHD Plus I would be interested to hear, being a Leica fan for some of their cameras and lenses - never been disappointed with their lenses, old or new.

Best wishes,

Tom

Just a quick thank you to all posters on this thread: the reaction is very positive and I will need to do my homework and save some of the posts for reference if I start searching out this 7x42 binocular series.

it does look a bit on the heavy side with all the extra top flight glass but part of my recent physical training has involved informal sessions handholding an 8x56 FL for long periods of time and yes I'm getting much better at it!

Any more thoughts? Keep 'em coming!

Tom

Hi Tom (post #1),

In relation to changes to the SLC 7x42 . . .

• In mid 1992 production of both the 7x42 and the 10x42 commenced (the 8x42 SLC was only introduced in 2010, along with the all new 10x42)
The earliest x42 I’ve observed is a 10x42 model numbered D6226 07783, and the earliest 7x42 is D6237 10189

• By early 2003 at the latest, Swarobright/ dielectric prism coating was present on the 7x42 SLC (it was indicated on the box label)
It’s present by D7303/ but not D7027 (and it was introduced on the 10x42 by early 2001 at the latest, by D7103/ but not D7039)
n.b. Swarobright was introduced progressively across the SLC line over several years - it seems that each model required a different combination of coatings

• At the start of 2005 the ‘neu’ rubber armour covering was introduced across all the SLC line (observed from D7503)

• By mid 2007 Swaroclean was introduced across all the SLC line (the box label was marked ‘Easy to Clean’, with the earliest observed D7727/ but not D7721)

• At the start of 2009 the Swarotop/ anti-reflective coatings were updated (so D79 on)
See Dale Forbes' comments in post #29 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=155446

The original x42 models were discontinued in 2010. The last observed 7x42 is D8013 84600, and the last observed 10x42 is D8033 87526

- - - -

Across the life of the original SLC x42 series there were 3 different rubber armour coverings:
- the original single colour coating with distinct ‘shoulders’, in either green or black
- the updated single colour coating without the ‘shoulders’, in either green or black
- the 2 colour neu coating in green and black

See the 3 versions on the x30 models, in the third image in post #11 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380550
n.b. RA coatings are often replaced during servicing, so they are only indicative as to dating a unit and therefore it’s original features, see post #12 in the link

- - - -

The 7x42 SLC is known for it’s optical quality including a large ‘sweet spot’. There are lot of threads on the forum with positive comments

And it seems that Swarovski made a special effort with the 7x42, since at it’s introduction it was competing with the likes of the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and the 7x45 Night Owl,
and the Leica 7x42 BA
This is reflected in the notably greater weight of the 7x42 SLC compared the 10x42 - an extra 2.8 oz/ 80 g - which implies significantly more glass was used

John

p.s. by sometime in 1999 Swarodur/ hard external lens coating was present on the SLC line (using Wayback, by then it was listed on the Swarovski website on the SLC line)
- so all production from 2000 on (D70 on) will have Swarodur

Thank you, John: this is really useful knowledge, as always in your responses to appeals for help. Much appreciated.

Tom

Same as the Dialyt ClassiC.

Arthur

Both great equipment; used them this morning and cannot fault them for my purposes. Sharp easy instantaneous clear views. Colour is a nice change from the Leica warmfest too (not knocking that but some days you need a rest!)

Thank you, Arthur. All the best,

Tom

A brief comment from me. I used one for about 10 years across 20 odd countries and had only two issues: the first was that one of the barrels became compromised and moisture entered causing internal condensation (after 8 years hard use). I sent it back to Swarovski and it was returned (with new armour!) inside 3 weeks.
The second issue was more of an issue for me - the best part of 1kg of weight. Optically it was an incredible pair of bins, but noticeable in 40° + 100% humidity or 12hrs of bush bashing in spring and autumn.
I sold it and replaced with an FL (sorry - first and last offence!) which is lighter in weight, with a brighter and wider image. Edge sharpness is much reduced in the FL, but accommodated by a huge fov and the same large exit pupil. The "Neu" iteration is probably the best (dark rubber strip over the hinge) but the previous pre-Neu (green or black) with a more angular look is also fantastic, my 2003 model had both swarobright and swarodur coatings.
Good luck and enjoy it when you get one, but be advised it is a different beast to the newer SLC''s!

I have a 7x42 Leica BR (2004)that was repaired and optically upgraded by Leica a few years ago. I also have a 7X42 SLC that I purchased second hand after it was refurbished and upgraded with a new serial number by Swarovski.

The Leica is deadly sharp in the center field and, for most people, a solid performer. For me, the edges are often distracting and there's a bit too much CA in some circumstances. Eye relief is barely enough for my eyeglasses. If it was the only bin I owned, however, I could be content.

The SLC is better for me for a few reasons. Edge sharpness, though not perfect, is never a distraction. CA control is not perfect but it's rarely a problem. Eye relief is exceptional in the SLC. Weight is not a problem because I carry it bandolier style.

The SLC is my go to 7X42. I cannot part with the Ultravid but, truthfully, I don't use it very much. It's a great loaner!

A brief comment from me. I used one for about 10 years across 20 odd countries and had only two issues: the first was that one of the barrels became compromised and moisture entered causing internal condensation (after 8 years hard use). I sent it back to Swarovski and it was returned (with new armour!) inside 3 weeks.
The second issue was more of an issue for me - the best part of 1kg of weight. Optically it was an incredible pair of bins, but noticeable in 40° + 100% humidity or 12hrs of bush bashing in spring and autumn.
I sold it and replaced with an FL (sorry - first and last offence!) which is lighter in weight, with a brighter and wider image. Edge sharpness is much reduced in the FL, but accommodated by a huge fov and the same large exit pupil. The "Neu" iteration is probably the best (dark rubber strip over the hinge) but the previous pre-Neu (green or black) with a more angular look is also fantastic, my 2003 model had both swarobright and swarodur coatings.
Good luck and enjoy it when you get one, but be advised it is a different beast to the newer SLC''s!

Thanks for that, Daniel. I have noticed today that the 7 looks quite different from the current (discontinued) 8 and 10 and definitely heavier. On reflection I'm likely to pause on this idea, largely because of the weight. Of all the not so many 7s I've tried I'd say the Z Dialyt and Victory are the fastest and easiest handling and with very fine views too (in the way you describe).

Some day possibly but it would be nice to try one out first!

Many thanks,

Tom

My favorite 7x42 is the Zeiss BGATP/ClassiC. It has excellent handling properties, rapid focus, 450 ft FOV, easy eye positioning, reasonable weight, and less off-axis astigmatism than the FL. If I could overlook the astigmatism, and wanted even better waterproofing or consistent focus performance at extreme (high or low) temperatures, I'd get the FL. The FL is also an excellent choice for all-purpose use as it focuses to a class-leading 6 ft. Swarovski and Leica alternatives, by comparison, suffer some combination of failings such as high weight, focus that doesn't work as well with gloves, 420 ft FOV, poor close focus, much more CA (esp. off-axis), and not so generous eye-relief for glasses.

--AP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back