• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Shorebirds (more photos in first comment!) (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Finally caught up with the black turnstones I had been looking for all week in Playa del Rey, CA, and found some unexpected Surfbirds with them too! I'm less sure about the other birds: I'm moderately confident with my IDs, but I'm still a novice to UK waders let alone the US!

My guesses:
1. 'Black-Bellied Plover' (= UK Grey Plover)
2. Whimbrel
3. Sanderling
4. 2 Sanderling
5. Least Sandpiper

Attachments

• P1300375.jpg
    P1300375.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P1300413.jpg
    P1300413.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 32
  • P1300769.jpg
    P1300769.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P1300813.jpg
    P1300813.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 24
  • P1300843.jpg
    P1300843.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 37
Dear Sir
Although not an expert I am knowledgeable to concur on the following .:
1. Black-bellied Plover in breeding plumage (nice pic- a beautiful bird)
2. Whimbrel (nice pic)

Quoting from Birdguides
"Eurasian Whimbrel has a shorter bill than the Eurasian Curlew, with a more down-curved tip and usually has an obvious dark eye-stripe and pale supercilium. The head also has a notably pale median crown-stripe between the two broad black stripes that form a dark ‘skull cap’ in profile.

Thanks :) If I was in the UK I would have no issue calling the IDs on the grey plover, whimbrel and sanderling, but I'm not sure what confusion species exist in CA. In particular, Western and White-Rumped sandpipers look identical to sanderlings to me, so I am hoping a California expert can help me :)

Thanks! Is this a sanderling too? I assume it is, but the orangey breast is throwing me off a bit

Attachments

• P1300799.jpg
    P1300799.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back