• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help from India/Nepal (1 Viewer)

Frozen-in-MN

Just a few more from India and this time Nepal in late Oct, early November.

#1 - actually in Delhi. I'm bird blind on this one - I look at it and all I see is a Trogon because of beak and shape of head (it's not). Seems to have a breast band? Probably something common.

#2 and #3 - both the same bird in Sarnoth close to Varanasi, India. Some sort of warbler maybe? Seems to have an eye line.

#4 - A female Sunbird, but which one? In foothills east of Kathmandu. Likely a crimson, but the reddish wing might mean something else to an expert?

#5 - In Shivpuri NP north of Kathmandu. A female Minivet, but wondering if it could be a Grey-chinned because the chin appears whitish instead of the deep yellow of the Scarlet. Could be the photograph too, I guess.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Unidentified - Delhi - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-21 126.JPG
    Unidentified - Delhi - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-21 126.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Unidentified - Sarnoth - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-27 271.JPG
    Unidentified - Sarnoth - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-27 271.JPG
    694.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Unidentified - Sarnoth - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-27 273.JPG
    Unidentified - Sarnoth - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-27 273.JPG
    489.3 KB · Views: 44
  • reduced - Unidentified Sunbird - foothills E Kath - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-30 053.JPG
    reduced - Unidentified Sunbird - foothills E Kath - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-30 053.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 29
  • reduced - Unidentified - Minivet - poss grey-chinned - India-Nepal 2018 2018-11-01 186.JPG
    reduced - Unidentified - Minivet - poss grey-chinned - India-Nepal 2018 2018-11-01 186.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 32
I think no. 1 is Common Myna, although it's hard to see the eye markings.

Nos. 2 & 3 do show a Phylloscopus warbler, but I wouldn't like to say which. The bill is long and spiky with no apparent mark on the lower mandible, but looks a bit yellowish underneath for Western Crowned Warbler, unless it's just the light (I got caught out the other day).

I don't think no. 4 is female Crimson, which tends to be uniformly green. It looks most like female Green-tailed from the coppery flight feathers, esp. tertials.

Sorry, but I think no. 5 is just a Scarlet - there's yellow on the forehead (head should be uniformly grey) and the shape of the wingpatch points away from the other species.

Thanks for the replies!

#1 - I super-lightened the photo and it does seem like the yellow eye markings start to show up, so I'm convinced with Common Myna. The photo does have that rosy tint to it - but that may have been early morning light.

#2,#3 - from the Range maps, it seems like it would be more likely a Greenish Warbler. Are you seeing something that drives you away from that?

#4 - Going only by my guide - it does seem the tail is too long for Crimson. My guide doesn't show coppery color for Green-tailed, but the internet certainly does.

#5 - agree about the yellow on forehead - must a Scarlet - thanks.

Re 2 & 3, the bill looks a bit long and spindly to me - it should be more triangular on Greenish - but it's not the best angle. It also looks rather yellowish, with a rather lemony-looking supercilium. What kind of habitat did you see it in? I'm wondering about Tickell's Leaf Warbler.

The warbler was essentially in the temple grounds in Sarnoth - not the Deer Park area, so pretty wide open with small stands of trees where I saw this.

I've added some another views.

Very possible the yellow is not true to actual color - could be the exposure and me lightening it up.

Tickell's seems out of range too?

Thank you very much for sticking with this - I hadn't appreciated how many identical looking warblers there were in this part of the world until now. I should never complain about US warbler ID again.

Attachments

• India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-27 276.JPG
    India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-27 276.JPG
    528.6 KB · Views: 21
  • India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-27 272.JPG
    India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-27 272.JPG
    376.6 KB · Views: 23
some of the warbler pics give feeling of blyth's leaf, too (colors, bill). But angle difficult for confirmation

Honestly, the guide I have seems to have multiple pages of identical warbler pictures - so I appreciate you all that can recognize the subtle differences.

Blyth's Leaf Warbler seems to be out of range of Sarnoth too - what about Hume's Leaf Warbler? That seems to be in the winter range at least.

I may have to leave this one unidentified.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back