• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk vs. Sparrowhawk... (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
This photo provides a great comparison between the two species. The caption describes the sparrowhawk as a young male and the goshawk as a female. I hope it's not necessary to explain which one is which.

Last edited:
I think I'll just accept that I'll never sort out the Accipiter pairs. Sparrow vs gos, Cooper's vs sharpie, Aus. gos vs sparrowhawk...I'd take gulls and shorebirds any day!

Are the accipiter sparrowhawks all non-north america? I'm used to sparrowhawk referring to the American Kestrel (not even a hawk!).

The small American Accipiter (=the "sparrowhawk" by modern sense) would be sharp-shinned hawk, and the "goshawk" would be Cooper's hawk (although the "real" goshawk also occurs in some areas of North America).

I think I'll just accept that I'll never sort out the Accipiter pairs. Sparrow vs gos, Cooper's vs sharpie, Aus. gos vs sparrowhawk...I'd take gulls and shorebirds any day!
The most annoying thing about Goshawks is that you usually only see them for a split second, or in some other awkward situation where it is impossible to get a picture or a prolonged, closer look.

The small American Accipiter (=the "sparrowhawk" by modern sense) would be sharp-shinned hawk, and the "goshawk" would be Cooper's hawk (although the "real" goshawk also occurs in some areas of North America).
Cooper's Hawk is basically a "budget goshawk"...

The most annoying thing about Goshawks is that you usually only see them for a split second, or in some other awkward situation where it is impossible to get a picture or a prolonged, closer look.
Cooper's Hawk is basically a "budget goshawk"...

Couldn’t agree more...I like the last sentence!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back