• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mixed answers on hawk photo's (1 Viewer)

Richard L

Richard L.
I have a question on a hawk photo, I had this hawk listed below as a sharp shinned hawk weeks ago and a few members said I was wrong that it was not a SSH that it was a red shouldered hawk so I changed my hawk photo back to a red shouldered hawk. Now I get a email from a member and that I'm wrong again and that it's a sharp shinned hawk? Why always mixed answers to this hawk. All I did was took the shot and posted it. I know a hawk ID is not easy to ID. I took this shot in Central Texas right outside San Antonio, Texas. This hawk comes by regular and usually goes down on the ground after snakes and lizards, never yet did I see him chase a bird at the feeder. I continue to get mixed answers on the ID.
Thanks from Texas..............

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/22101

Richard, your link takes you to your entire gallery, which has several hawks in it. Could you provide a link to the specific bird you have a question on? :t:

Katy, all the hawk photo's are the same hawk "except" the lower right and its a SSH from years ago. Thanks again...... Richard in Texas

Katy Penland said:
Richard, your link takes you to your entire gallery, which has several hawks in it. Could you provide a link to the specific bird you have a question on? :t:

The reason I asked which photo was because these same photos were discussed at some length in this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=480895#post480895

So if the recent commenter is talking about the same photo Klant has pointed out, I think JanJ laid the question to rest in the previous thread as that's the only Accipiter in your gallery and it's a Sharpie. :t:

LOL, as to why all the mixed answers about these hawks? 'Cause they can be pretty difficult at times, especially when trying to ID between, say, Cooper's and Sharp-shinned (both Accipiters). But when talking about the very obvious differences between Accipiters and Buteos, it's much easier.

Klant said:
On the page you linked to, the only thing that's an accipiter is the sharp shinned hawk down right...

What Klant is saying here, Richard, is that not only is the Red-shouldered Hawk not a Sharpie, but it's not even an accipiter. It seems that whoever told you that your Red-shouldered Hawk is a Sharpie is just wrong.

Thanks again ........ main thing for me is taking the photo of a wild bird in my backyard. But at times I'd like to know what it is besides reading up in my bird book trying to ID it or checking google. Thank again

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back