• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon fit Sigma 300-800mm and Sigma prime 800mm (1 Viewer)

acorn

I am interested in Canon fit Sigma 300-800mm and Sigma prime 800mm and how they perform. As anyone got one or had the use of one. Though not cheap, they are a cheaper option to the Canon large primes. I would be gratefull for any views, and photos they have taken.
Regards
Colin

Colin

I have the Sigma 300-800 and I'm very pleased with the results I get from it. There are quite a few shots on my web-site taken with it especially in the waders gallery. I will dig out the shots taken with it and upload into a dedicated gallery so you can take a look rather than having to hunt through lots of pics to find those shot with it.

It is a big beast of a lens and hand holding is totally out of the question. I mount mine on a manfrotto Gimbal head and it balances nicely but still a pain to have to carry to and from locations. I dont use it too much simply because it is such a chore to have to lug about.
Rgds
Andrew

I have had a 300-800 sigmonster, and as mentioned, it’s a heavy lens to lug around. You will need a good sturdy tripod and decent head to support it.
I used a gitzo carbon fibre tripod with Manfrotto 393 head which worked well + the 393 head was about £350.00 cheaper than the Wimberley.
At the time I bought mine, I did quite a bit of research and according to most reviews the 300-800 gave better results than the 800 prime, which Is not usually the case.
Also the + side of the 300-800 is the zoom factor, the main thing I miss since selling the lens.
As this has no stabilization, good technique is also required to prevent movement/vibration when in use.
Quality wise, the lens was excellent, especially at F8, which I found to be the so called sweet spot on my lens.
It gave good results at 5.6 but I found, shooting at 5.6 produced softer images.

Hope this is of some help.

Thankyou Andrew and Ray I found it usefull, Andrew you have some impressive photos on your site.
Ray why did you sell the sigmonster and did you replace it?
Regards
Colin

Thankyou Andrew and Ray I found it usefull, Andrew you have some impressive photos on your site.
Ray why did you sell the sigmonster and did you replace it?
Regards
Colin

Hi Colin,
I replaced It with the Canon 500 F4 IS, which Is lighter to carry, some may say not much lighter, but It's surprising, when carrying It any distance, and I'm no young pup now and also have other health problems.
I can also hand hold this for short periods and get good results due to the stabilization and also use it with the 1.4 converter which also gives excellent results at 700mm.
I've just purchased a 2x converter, but haven't tried It yet, but I'm sure there will be a more noticeable quality loss with It, although this will only be used occasionally.
I.M.O. If you can afford It the Canon is a superior lens, and Canon haven't paid me to say that :-O.
But if you go for the sigmonster, I would definitely go for the 300-800, as long as you're fit enough to carry it, you wont be disappointed.

Hope this answers your question.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back