• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ocreatus underwoodii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

In Jobling it si writteb on underwoodii:

by Mr. Underwood on behalf of Charles Stokes Esq..... (S. 395)

The original description did not mention the first name of Stokes http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k992894/f153.image

On page 366 stokesii is dedicated to John Lort Stokes (1812–1885) and Lesson did mention him in the same book:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k992894/f183.image

So James, how did you come to the conclusion is on behalf of Charles Stokes Esq and not John Lort Stokes (1812–1885) ?

Anyway underwood could be dedicated for George Underwood ((Londres)) or Thomas Underwood ((Londres)) 32 Fleet Street London. (Sketches of the most prevalent Diseases of India; comprising a Treatise on the epidemic Cholera of the East)

Gould, 1861, has it the other way around: he says that Trochilus Stokesii was dedicated by King, 1831 to "his friend, the late Charles Stokes, Esq." (and thus not to John Lort Stokes). King himself did not explain, unfortunately.
Lesson's text certainly doesn't suggest to me that the "M. Stoke", with whom he was in contact, may have been a young naval officer (less than 20 yo at the time of writing) having spent most of the previous years on the Beagle in the southern seas (1825-1830, and again from 1831 with Charles Darwin on board). Rather, it seems to have been a well-established person in London, close to George Loddiges, presumably significantly older than 20, and with an access to the collections of the British Museum that allowed him to dismantle specimens to establish that they were composite (see under "Colibri arlequin" [here]).

This would thus leave nothing in those dedications involving the young John Lort Stokes.

Re. "M. Underwood", it's not fully clear what he did to deserve having the bird dedicated to him. Lesson's text reads "Un dessin de cet oiseau nous a été remis par M. Underwood, de la part de M. Stokes," which if taken literally just means that Underwood "handed over" the drawing to Lesson, thus possibly just acted as a messenger. Reading a bit between the lines, though, we might also understand that Underwood made the drawing on Stokes' demand; if so, we should look for an artist. Thomas Richard Underwood (1765-1836)? (A painter, and also a geologist like Stokes. Lived in Paris from 1830.)
"George and Thomas Underwood, 32 Fleet Street" were publishers--certainly a respectable activity, but arguably not one that would be very likely to attract dedications by species describers.

Last edited:
Thank you, Björn and Laurent. I should have looked more closely at my Gould's Hummingbirds 1861. I have corrected my ms entries under stokesii, Stokoesiella, and underwoodi (the latter already amended to only quote Lesson's original text), and will shortly amend those on HBWAlive Key.

I assume Ocreatus underwoodii is for this guy here:

Thomas Richard Underwood (c. 1765-1836), English landscape painter and scientific dilettante.

A picture painted by him here or here.

But the Oxford Dictionary tells us:

Underwood, Thomas Richard (1772–1835), watercolour painter and geologist, was born on 24 February 1772 at 43 Lamb's Conduit Street, Holborn, London, the only son of Thomas Underwood (d. 1808) and his wife, Susannah (d. 1804/5). Nothing is known of his early education or training in watercolour drawing. At an early age, he married ...

What would make Charles Stokes (1783-1853) more likely for the HBW Alive entry:

● Eponym; dedication not given (King 1831); either for Charles Stokes (1783-1853) English stockbroker, naturalist, geologist, collector, or Capt. Pringle Stokes (d. 1828) Royal Navy, who committed suicide during a survey of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in HMS Beagle - "perhaps the stigma attached to suicide at that time prevented King from openly stating his etymology" (Beolens et al., 2014) (syn. Sephanoides fernandensis).

Last edited:
From Lesson here I would assume Mr Stokes was still alive when Lesson wrote his text. And both Underwood and Stokes have been geologists and somehow scientists (even if dilettante). For me it is more than likely that we talk about this two guys. But of course if you assume that Lesson (as well as Gould as you mentioned earlier) speculated and did not talk to King themselves than forget about my comment.

I am personally convinced that this are the correct guys (without having the final evidence).

I had never heard of Mr. Sharp. Very interesting but Björn poined out to me my link was to Bartholomew's Hummigbirds. Most likely the name of the publisher or painter not a name of a species.

Last edited:
Peter Kovalik mentioned last year in the Trochilidae thread:
The rise and fall of the Harlequin Hummingbird.
https://bioone.org/journals/bulleti...-multicolor/10.25226/bboc.v139i3.2019.a4.full .
This mentions Charles Strokes but not Tr. stokesii.
I was wondering why Tr. Stokesii is called Barthalomew's Hummingbird?
https://naturalcuriosities.com/bartholomew-s-hummingbirds-1540.html .
Sorry Mark, I've just read the Paper by Robert Prŷs-Jones & Rick Wright, (2019), and there's no-one by the name; "Charles Strokes" mentioned in it (typo?). It's; M. (Monsieur) Stokes (on p.221 and p.223), and " ... assuming he was, as seems likely, Charles Stokes (1783–1853), ..." (on p.224). No Strokes, anywhere.

And regarding the side-track [of a side-track(!), i.e. the sudden appearance of a Bartholomew, in connection to Stokes's and stokesii, in Underwood's, the underwoodii/, thread. At times it's truly hard-to-keep-up, and follow the various twist and turns of a topic] ... ;)

Could it be related to Bartholomew Sharp who was cruising around Juan Fernández Islands (or at least maps from him exist on the islands),
Guys, I somewhat doubt that any Hummingbird, not even Stokes's Hummingbird "Trochilus Stokesii"*, described by Captain P. P. (Philip Parker) King, in 1831 (here), would have gotten its Vernacular/Common/English name from an English Buccaneer/Privateer by the (Given) name Bartholomew (Surname: Sharp), who died in 1702 (with little, or none, connection known, to Natural History), even if the bird itself originated from an Island (Juan Fernández) located in the same Caribbean Sea the old Pirate once raided.

The same bird/"species" was a k a "Le Stokes", by the French ornithologist R. P. Lesson (in 1840, see Martin's post #9). Also mentioned, in the book Beautiful Birds in Far-off Lands: Their Haunts and Homes, by Mary & Elisabeth Kirby, (1873), here (even if nothing of Mr Stokes himself).

The (Home Decoration) company Natural Curiosities themselves (see Mark's second link in #10), has the following explanation for this (somewhat glaring or garish) collection/set of Prints:

Bartholomew's Hummingbirds Celebrating natures ways this humming bird collection was originally from a natural history collection from the early 1900's.
Also note that the print of "Trochilus Stokesii" has been offered for sale as "Silverleafed Bartholomew Hummingbird", but not even that is a Bird name, it's just an offer, a sales phrase, for this and any of those Prints, of either one of those Hummingbirds 'Silverleafed', simply to be purchased in a Silver (-leaf/ed) frame. Nothing else.

Thus, I would think (read: guess) that this certain Bartholomew (whomever he was) would be of little, or no concern what-so-ever, not in Ornithology, neither remembered in any scientific, nor in any Common/Vernacular, Bird name/s. Not even this George Bartholomew (!?) ...

By the way, Jardine (1833) presented a far more somber (and much nicer) version of "Stoke's [sic] Hummingbird" Trochilus Stokesii [Plate here (with the text following), or see another copy/print, as of below].

Trochilus Stokesii.jpg

Re. the Etymology itself, of stokesii, the dear old HBW (no-longer Alive) Key, sadly defunct since May, used to have the following explanation:
stokesii
• Eponym; "TROCHILUS STOKESII. ... Habitat in insulâ Juan Fernandez." (King 1831, Proc. Comm. Zool. Soc. London, I (iii), 30); after either (1) Charles Stokes (1783-1853) English stockbroker, naturalist, geologist, collector, or (2) Capt. Pringle Stokes (d. 1828) Royal Navy, who committed suicide during a survey of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in HMS Beagle - "perhaps the stigma attached to suicide at that time prevented King from openly stating his etymology" (Beolens et al. 2014) (syn. Sephanoides fernandensis).

[...]
If James has altered it since, or done any other amendments to it, is all unknown to me.

Though compare with what we were told earlier in; Jobling, J. Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010), see attached excerpt [which, in my mind, was, or at least it could have been, just as (or even more) accurate, simply as I think that certain J. L. Stokes is hard to leave out of this case, hard to dismiss all together, as he (as I see it) might be, or could have been (just as likely) a candidate for this eponym. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually was/is the true dedicatee].

Either way, the English Common name; 'Stoke's Humming-bird' (also as such; here), do seem to be somewhat chopped about, a bit short, simply missing an ending letter (s), in the family/surname (i.e. Stokes, as indicated by the scientific name).

For what it's worth.

Björn

PS. And, in any case, "Trochilus Stokesii" has absolutely nothing to do with neither Mr nor Mrs Stokes, as in Stokes Hummingbird Book, by Donald & Lilian Stokes (1st Edition, September, 1989). :rolleyes:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*Apparently, it's a synonym of King's "own"; Juan Fernández Firecrown Sephanoides fernandensis KING 1831
(i.e. the preceding taxa in the same Paper/OD)! Maybe a question of Males vs Females (or juveniles), who knows?

Attachments

• Jobling, 2010.jpg
    Jobling, 2010.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Answering my own question (in foot-note, post #13) ...

The type of "Trochilus stokesii" KING 1831 is an adult Female specimen (
here), and the type of "Trochilus fernandensis" KING 1831, is a Male specimen [according to Elliot (1879), here (with Male and Female symbols inserted, in the list of references/synonyms) – both of today's Juan Fernández Firecrown Sephanoides fernandensis KING 1831]. Also see Salvin (1892) here, or Boucard (1893), here.

Equally confirmed in James's fairly recent post; "Bulletin 16: ...", in his thread BOW Key (
here), which included an updated entry for the Generic name "Stokoesiella, Reich." BONAPARTE 1854 (here, even if a nomen nudum).

One question less to ponder over.

/B

Last edited:
I had yet another look at the unknown Mr Stokes, in (the invalid) "Trochilus Stokesii", a k a Stokes's Hummingbird, and came up with the following:

Maybe King offered "Trochilus Stokesii" (in 1831), not only as gesture of a respect of a sadly deceased leader/friend/colleague/Mariner, but (also) as a mere favour (a service) in return ... !?

In the first volume of the Classic book: Narrative of the surveying voyages of His Majesty's Ships Adventure and Beagle (between the years 1826 and 1836, describing their examination of the southern shores of South America, and the Beagle's circumnavigation of the globe), by P. P. King and Charles Darwin, we find the following short note, by King, made in March 1828:

A humming-bird had been seen at Port Gallant last year, and was brought to me by Captain Stokes, since which none had been noticed. Here, however, we saw, and procured several; but of only one species.*

[Here, the footnote(*) telling us that this bird was described by Vigors (1927) as 'Mellisuga Kingii'.]
A few months later Captain Stokes had shot himself (p.153).

I assume the foot-note above was in reference to p.71 (here) from January 1827, which (in its turn), also have a foot-note (*), saying:
* One of the feathered tribe, which a naturalist would not expect to find here, a ' humming bird,' was shot near the beach by a young mid-shipman.—Stokes MS.

And, note that except for Captain Pringle Stokes (Commander and Surveyor), we also find another "Mr. Stokes" onboard the Beagle, a guy who continued to help King collecting, even onwards, through the whole voyage, long after the unfortunate End of Captain Stokes (which, most likely, would be the Midshipsman; 'J. L. Stokes', listed among the Crew, on p. xii).

Also see p.578, again dealing with 'Mellisuga Kingii' (in yet another foot-note).

More details of the unfortunate End of Captain (Pringle) Stokes (1793–1828) is told on his Wikipedia page (here).

He's not to be confused with the far younger (apparently all unrelated) John Lort Stokes (1811–1885), who also served onboard the HMS Beagle (his Wikipedia page, here), who (on the other hand!) very well could be (and I think he actually is/was) the mentioned "J. L. Stokes" above. I have a hunch he's not easy to brush aside, not that irrelevant (as suggested by Laurent, in post #2, from back in 2014) ... which (I assume?) led to, or was the very reason for (alt. the starting point) that ended up in him being deleted/erased completely from (the stokesii entry in) the HBW Alive Key.

Of course, it would be very interesting to find out who's MS it was, in the short reference (above): "Stokes MS."... ?

To me, this far, either one of the two guys onboard the HMS Beagle (Captain P. Stokes, and Mr J. L. Stokes) could be the dedicatee (from/in 1831). At least they are both equally possible dedicatees (and as such I think they both should be kept in the loop), together with the stockbroker/naturalist Charles Stokes (1783–1853), of course. This far, I think all three of them ought to be kept in this equation, as possibilities, as more or less likely candidates.

In my mind, the most likely dedicatee would be Stokes, either one, aboard the Beagle. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (from 2010) was perfectly correct.

For whatever it's worth.

We'll see ... (if time allows, probably not).

Björn

PS. Neither one of those guys (nor this certain Hummingbird) are mentioned is my own MS, thus I haven't searched for (or researched) any of them, not at any serious depth (not more than what's been shown in this thread), and certainly not thoroughly enough to tell either way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back