• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Guess the European pond turtle is common on Majorca.
Steve.

I think it used to be but has perhaps been in a bit of a decline recently. During one of my last visits, some survey work was being done to determine if and where they were breeding.
Both it and the non-european Red-eared Slider are generally thought to be introductions to the islands. The first probably with the Romans during their occupation and the latter through the pet trade.
Martin

As far as I know Common Waxbill (estrilda astrild) is a resident breeder with a maximum of seven birds being seen together.
I think they are classified as an exotic invasive species although I’m not sure they have been declared self-sustaining, I doubt it, there are not enough yet I guess. They are never far away from s’Albufera, normally where StewB has seen them.
As for red-eared sliders I seem to see many of them at lots of different sites. I don’t know about numbers or distribution so perhaps one of the locals in the know could enlighten us.
Mike

Hello. There are no less than 30 Common Waxbills in s'Albufera, that can be seen regularly in Amarador, Camí deks Polls, Son Serra and other places.
A few months ago, I saw a flock in Albufereta, and last week 2 birds in sa Gola, so the population is probably increasing and moving to other places.
That are bad news, indeed!

Satellite tracked birds from Finland

View attachment 675865 This is a map showing the journey made by a satellite tagged female Honey Buzzard from South Africa to Finland. Bird migration is truly fascinating. it flies in virtually a straight line north only deviating slightly it seems, to avoid crossing a large expanse of sea. Amazing.

Hi here is a link with more satellite tracked birds from finnish birders

https://satelliitti.laji.fi/?id=JX....zZXdtvxfWWL5Ly5bwEldDFBUJPWbOf0Jtj5MWQz2Pjn48

White-headed duck

Is there an accepted view about WHD in Mallorca? I saw an adult at S’Albufera in May 2006, which perversely I added to my Mallorca list, but not to my Spanish or World lists. (I had seen birds in the UK that many believed had good provenance, but unfortunately that didn’t include the BOURC, which probably made me stop short at counting the Mallorca bird, which I think was thought to be a remnant of an earlier reintroduction attempt).

It seems unlikely to me that the current bird has anything to do with previous reintroduction attempts, so is it a wild one?

I’m hoping it will still be there when we visit in January..

Stew

Went to Cap Salines this morning 4 Common Crane, Northern Lapwing, Golden Plover, 6 Whimbrel/ Eurasian Curlew unfortunately from behind, 2 Common greenshank, 2 Marsh Harrier (1 female and 1 Juvenil/female), 3 Red kite, 2 Kestrel (1 male and 1 Juv/female)
Visit Bassa de can Guidet on my way back home didn`t see WH Duck but had the sun against me and problems to see whole Bassa - Little Grebe, Black necked Grebe and 1 Cormorant
Just Before Campos an enormous amount of Starlings both side of the road

Hi Stew. The last White-headed Duck I saw at s’Albufera was about 12 years ago from memory but I can look it up, like many birders of my age, my notes go back to 1971.
I ticked it of course but it was the last bird seen I believe and it was from the re-introduction scheme which proved to be unsuccessful so I guess not really tickable.
The recent bird, seen a few days ago, is an immature so it has been accepted as a wild bird I believe. Whether there are re-introduction schemes elsewhere, I don’t know.
I get lots of requests about where to see the Waxbills but I didn’t realise they were so unpopular. I don’t know why. Do they do damage or just deprive other species of breeding habitat?
Steve, thanks for all the photos, a nice bird to end on. There are two Spoonbills currently at Salobrar de Campos.
Mike

Mirella found and photographed this raptor here in the south today.
I put it on the ID forum.
The general feeling is that it is an escaped falconer’s bird, probably a Gyr x Saker.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• 004BF974-EC61-40D5-AC51-972401C3943A.jpeg
    004BF974-EC61-40D5-AC51-972401C3943A.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 22B89B8A-8C20-43B1-82CE-480D3A165E63.jpeg
    22B89B8A-8C20-43B1-82CE-480D3A165E63.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 60
Mike, little is kwown on the effects of the waxbills, but is thougt that could affect the reed bunting, that is declining quite quickly in Mallorca and Spain.
Anyway, as an exotic and probably invasive species, its colonization of different wetlands in the north of the island can never be considered a good new. Caution must prevale.

Thanks Maties. We have seen invasive or introduced species taking over the habitat of other species in the past which is never good news. I am sad to hear about the decline of the Reed bunting, such delightful birds which I am always happy to see. I do hope this worrying trend can be halted. Mike.

I thought a trip around the backroads of the salt pans at Salobrar de Campos would be worthwhile.
Lots of Skylark flocks, always good numbers of Kestrels and Marsh Harrier and then 43 Common Crane came into view. They were feeding happily away near the edge of the marsh so I guess this is a good place to catch up with them.
The polo pitch was devoid of birdlife, maybe because there was work going on nearby, but it used to be a wonderful place for many different species including wagtails, pipits, larks, gulls and Lapwings but for the last couple of years I have seen virtually nothing there.
Mike

Thanks, that works.
How funny though, it’s the same bird that is being talked about so much at the moment! A friend from Germany took some photos and they are being discussed quite widely.
I will let you know the outcome but the general feeling is some kind of hybrid, possibly garzetta x bulbulcus.
I will post further, Mike

Here are some pictures of an (the?) Egret I found today in Ciutat Jardi in a group of Little Egrets. The Southerly winds were strong so they had found refuge up a torrent.
The consensus seems to be for an hybrid of Little and Cattle.

Attachments

• _D_A4418.jpg
    _D_A4418.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 77
  • _D_A4392.jpg
    _D_A4392.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 74
  • _D_A4377.jpg
    _D_A4377.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 65
  • _D_A4365.jpg
    _D_A4365.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 72
Thank you Patrick, great photos as usual.
Quite funny really that I was asking on here a few days ago if Cattle and little egrets ever hybridised.
It seems like they do then!
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back