• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scrub-robin ID - South Africa (1 Viewer)

Hi all.

Just mulling over this Scrub-Robin ID.
This was taken just north of Pretoria.

We have had a single record of Rufous-tailed Scrub-Robin one South Africa which made me Review this photo. I originally filed it as ID tone confirmed as it was calling when I saw it but sounded completely wrong for Kalahari Scrub-robin.

The brown crown and paler legs makes me wonder as to wether this might also be a Rufous-tailed Scrub-robin.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 6E1773C0-EBF0-4C7C-881C-F84F3EAAEF33.jpeg
    6E1773C0-EBF0-4C7C-881C-F84F3EAAEF33.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 68C76EDF-FEC8-4D28-83A6-235B9C0D0CD6.jpeg
    68C76EDF-FEC8-4D28-83A6-235B9C0D0CD6.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Why isn't it a Karoo Scrub Robin?

What is to 'Regina' a photo?

Correction... review (autocorrect)

Kalahari Scrub-robin has black legs. Rufous-tailed has browish legs.
Also Kalahari scrub-robin has a grey crown and nape, this has a brown crown and nape.

I had put this aside as uncertain ID as when I saw the bird it was calling more reminiscent of a Cape Robin-chat and not like a Kalahari Scrub-robin and it didn’t look 100% right.

At that stage we had never had a Rufous-tailed scrub-robin recorded any where near southern African so I just left it as a bird I was not 100% comfortable with.

We had one recorded about a year ago. Having seen the leg and crown color differences but how similar they are otherwise I decided to go back and review all my Kalahari scrub-Robin photos.

All my other photos of Kalahari Scrub-robin show clear black legs and grey crown.

Karoo scrub-robin also has black legs and dirty darkis underparts and its upper parts are a darker colder brown.

I’m familiar with Karoo scrub-robin calls and this didn’t sound anything like that either.

Also the orange / rufous in the tail seen in the one photo rules out Karoo

Last edited:
I'd say that the amount of white on the undertail which is visible in one shot, is too extensive for Rufous-tailed?

Not sure bill structure is right either?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back