• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Swaro service and focus problem (1 Viewer)

newfie ghost

I received my wife's 8.5 SV back today. The diopter moved when changing the IPD. I also has the crunchy focus and harder to turn in one direction problem.

I sent them off on June 9th and got them back today June 27. Pretty prompt service as they projected to send them back at the end of July.

The shifting diopter problem is fixed. But more surprisingly, the focus is now very smooth, better than my old 8x32 el.

And the view.......good god........these seem even better than before.

Top notch service Swaro. I am impressed. :t:

Glass from the gods. o:D

I received my wife's 8.5 SV back today. The diopter moved when changing the IPD. I also has the crunchy focus and harder to turn in one direction problem.

I sent them off on June 9th and got them back today June 27. Pretty prompt service as they projected to send them back at the end of July.

The shifting diopter problem is fixed. But more surprisingly, the focus is now very smooth, better than my old 8x32 el.

Top notch service Swaro. I am impressed. :t:

Glass from the gods. o:D
Yes, i will second there service! When they worked the focus over on my 7x42's it became one of the most precise smooth feeling focusers i have had. I have been making a point about the mis information about the swaro focussers for some time! It's not a deal breaker if you happen to get a so so sample they can and will fix it. Is it unfortunate if you get a bad one? Yes, but you can get bad samples from other manufacturers as well! Glad to here it's better than the old el, my slc is probably better than my el, though the el is perfectly smooth in both directions i like the dampness on the slc better it is just a touch heavier! Bryce...

Yes, i will second there service! When they worked the focus over on my 7x42's it became one of the most precise smooth feeling focusers i have had. I have been making a point about the mis information about the swaro focussers for some time! It's not a deal breaker if you happen to get a so so sample they can and will fix it. Is it unfortunate if you get a bad one? Yes, but you can get bad samples from other manufacturers as well! Glad to here it's better than the old el, my slc is probably better than my el, though the el is perfectly smooth in both directions i like the dampness on the slc better it is just a touch heavier! Bryce...

It says they replaced the "focusing rubber". It has more tension and feels great. I am happy.

It's funny they can't do that the first time like Nikon. My SV's were the same way. The deal breaker for me was the rolling ball. The EDG gives me a more relaxed view. The SV felt unnatural.

It's funny they can't do that the first time like Nikon. My SV's were the same way. The deal breaker for me was the rolling ball. The EDG gives me a more relaxed view. The SV felt unnatural.

True, the 8.5 SV does have the most rolling ball I've seen, much more than the 8x42 lxl which some folks claim is a lot (BTW I don't see it that much in the lxl)

If it bothers someone, it could be a deal breaker.

Some folks on BF can't see it at all. Lucky them.

Best advice is to try before you buy.

Top notch service Swaro. I am impressed. :t: o:D

Me too, though I'd be more impressed if they didn't need to be sent in for repairs so soon after purchase.

Did you keep track of the serial #? Do you know for certain that this is the same sample you sent in for repairs?

<B>

Glad to hear all is well. That was pretty quick turn around - I wonder if relatively new glasses with a problem take priority over old beaters that come in?

"Focusing rubber" - O ring maybe?

John F
LV NV

Glad to hear all is well. That was pretty quick turn around - I wonder if relatively new glasses with a problem take priority over old beaters that come in?

"Focusing rubber" - O ring maybe?

John F
LV NV

The turn around I thought was good about the same as my Nikon experience. Checking the serial number, mine were made in 2011.

Maybe it was the o ring, but the focus is real nice now. Diopter doesn't jump when changing the IPD and I swear they are sharper. It is the same chassis as there was a tiny mark in them before i sent them off, it is still there. They did a cleaning I suspect as well.

I would recommend swaro for both the view and service. Ive never heard one bad note about swaro service. Don't let this rare focusing issue stop you from buying swaro.

Last edited:
As much as i very much admire Swarovski optics and their after sales service i find that for a top priced premiership binocular no-one should be having any problems whatsoever with the focusing wheel...especially 'straight out the box'.

This focus wheel 'problem' is very long running in my experience and one that they have never solved...!

I'm not sure if its an inherent fault with the gearing mechanism...[i believe they use a plastic of sorts] or whether the bridge design is part responsible in some way...i suspect the former.

Whatever the reason they should really address this seriously as i and many others i know have been put off purchasing them...[even though optically they are fantastic binoculars].

This 'problem' may not bother many folks and that's fine...but to me a smooth 'both ways' focus wheel is just fundamental....

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

As much as i very much admire Swarovski optics and their after sales service i find that for a top priced premiership binocular no-one should be having any problems whatsoever with the focusing wheel...especially 'straight out the box'.

This focus wheel 'problem' is very long running in my experience and one that they have never solved...!

I'm not sure if its an inherent fault with the gearing mechanism...[i believe they use a plastic of sorts] or whether the bridge design is part responsible in some way...i suspect the former.

Whatever the reason they should really address this seriously as i and many others i know have been put off purchasing them...[even though optically they are fantastic binoculars].

This 'problem' may not bother many folks and that's fine...but to me a smooth 'both ways' focus wheel is just fundamental....

I agree and Leica were in the same boat with the original Ultravids!

Seems we are talking multi-thread here!

I have tried them all and I am glad the SV works for you, just not for me.

Decision made it's the SLC HD 8X42 for me. It won't be mail order or Ebay though. I'll need to feel the focus wheel before I plunge! Saving a few quid is meaningless if you end up with a dodgy sample. Yes it can be corrected but as many have said, at this price, they shouldn't have to be?

Good Birding

Trust you to spoil this SWARO love in:loveme::kiss: Colin8-P
Joking apart My 12 year old 8.5x 42's
had a 'frosty' effect on one of the eyepieces, it was an internal problem and appeared like a pincushion - with 100's of minute specks. I took them to the UK centre in Surrey UK. within 3 weeks they were returned from Austria (and that was during the Christmas Holidays). The had replaced both eyepieces and even the 2 eyecups, as well as an internal clean - all free of charge (better than new).

Colin hope you are well mate B :) cuddy

Decision made it's the SLC HD 8X42 for me. It won't be mail order or Ebay though. I'll need to feel the focus wheel before I plunge! Saving a few quid is meaningless if you end up with a dodgy sample. Yes it can be corrected but as many have said, at this price, they shouldn't have to be?

Good Birding

I too am glad that 'newfie' has SV's that work....!

You are right Alan...we may be talking multi-thread here...[not sure if there is a 'dodgy Swaro focus wheel' thread lurking about]...:cat:

Recently i have been looking for a potential new pair of bins and all the new Swaro's i've held have the same problem to one degree or another...and it simply isn't acceptable at the high prices...

A friend of mine had the latest SV, less than a year old...and it was horrendously stiff and crunchy...put me right off....!

I am a Swaro fan...[i own their latest scope]...optically brilliant...service second to none....no complaints...but...focus wheel...?:eek!:

had a 'frosty' effect on one of the eyepieces, it was an internal problem and appeared like a pincushion - with 100's of minute specks. I took them to the UK centre in Surrey UK. within 3 weeks they were returned from Austria (and that was during the Christmas Holidays). The had replaced both eyepieces and even the 2 eyecups, as well as an internal clean - all free of charge (better than new).

Hi there Johnboy...long time no see...!

I apologize for my 'Swaro beef'...they are great bins...in all but one department...:smoke:

As you know i'm a 'picky' bloke...;)

I am sure that this focus wheel problem is not a problem to many...and that's fine...but it continues to irk me....[i'm gonna write 'a piece' about it elsewhere in due course]....

All the best Cud...see you soon i hope....:t:

Good Birding

The Sv is not for everyone, that is why they made the SCL HD- swaro quality, no rolling ball. Buying in person does help. Post the review.

Can't beat swaro service. It would have cost you $$$ if it were Leica.

I too am glad that 'newfie' has SV's that work....!

You are right Alan...we may be talking multi-thread here...[not sure if there is a 'dodgy Swaro focus wheel' thread lurking about]...:cat:

Recently i have been looking for a potential new pair of bins and all the new Swaro's i've held have the same problem to one degree or another...and it simply isn't acceptable at the high prices...

A friend of mine had the latest SV, less than a year old...and it was horrendously stiff and crunchy...put me right off....!

I am a Swaro fan...[i own their latest scope]...optically brilliant...service second to none....no complaints...but...focus wheel...?:eek!:

Let's hope they hear our complaining and receive enough returns to change the production. They can make a nice focus.

My $100 Nikon travelite has a butter smooth focus. But hey it is a Nikon.

As I said, if it is about the optics try them out.

The Sv is not for everyone, that is why they made the SCL HD- swaro quality, no rolling ball. Buying in person does help. Post the review.

I asked in -maybe germanys biggest- binocular forum about the rolling ball from the 8,5x42 EL. I got more than one answer that the rolling ball is significantly reduced in the newest models.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back