• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Livermore area late June (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Looks like we will be in Livermore area starting June 18 through 4th July. Want to get some birding in again this year. Spent a lot of time in and around Lake DeVal (hope I spelled right) last time. Is mines road a good choice that time of year? Also looking for other suggested locations based on wish list I know a lot on list may not be doable during the time. Don't mine travel if it can be done as day trip

Pine Siskin
Cinnamon teal
Black oystercatcher
Black turnstone
Mountain quail
Golden eagle
Western gull
Roadrunner
Spotted owl
Western screech owl
Clark's nutcracker
Pygmy nuthatch
Rock wren
Canyon wren
Sage sparrow
Lazuli bunting

Thanks
Randy

According to eBird's Alameda County list, Mountain Quail, Spotted Owl, and Clark's Nutcracker are not there, while Black Turnstone, Greater Roadrunner are highly unlikely.

The others should be possible in the summer.

- Wim

The lake you're thinking of is Del Valle Reservoir.

Can't give you a lot of details on your target species, but the Livermore area gives you pretty good access to varied habitats-- Central Valley, Bay wetlands, etc. LIvermore and environs are great for raptors.

Yeah, you'd have to go pretty far to pick up a Roadrunner/Clark's Nutrcacker/Pygmy Nuthatch...

You might consider a weekend trip over Tioga Pass, perhaps to Bridgeport, Mono Lake or Mammoth Lake.

Jim D.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back