• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Retrovid 8x40: A brief review (3 Viewers)

Some might even say almost TWICE as cheap! ;-)

I have no problem with the looks of the HG. I find it an attractive binocular. Sleeker and less flamboyant than the EDG.

-B.
I agree the HG is a good looking binocular. The EDG is flamboyant. Leica just seems to do a good job on the design and finish of their binoculars. They have a very classy almost industrial, understated look to them. They look expensive and the finish is flawless.

Last edited:
Looking cheap is one thing, but actually being cheaply made is another. The Nikon Hg is a very good binocular in its own right, a great tool, and well built - owner since inception of the model. As far as I am concerned the New Trinovids are nice looking, and likely have good optics but as previously stated in prior posts as a tool in the field, it is not really designed for active birders/(likely not made as rugged as a UV). It is a nice toy which will sell actually more to collectors and enthusiasts, but not to general use customers.
The 7X35 will do well since there are hardly any above par through premium 7X roof models available on the market these days, they may fit the bill for that vacancy.

I wish them luck, but I suspect they will sell at lower #s than the trinovid HD/UV/Noctivid models.

Andy W.

Looking cheap is one thing, but actually being cheaply made is another. The Nikon Hg is a very good binocular in its own right, a great tool, and well built - owner since inception of the model. As far as I am concerned the New Trinovids are nice looking, and likely have good optics but as previously stated in prior posts as a tool in the field, it is not really designed for active birders/(likely not made as rugged as a UV). It is a nice toy which will sell actually more to collectors and enthusiasts, but not to general use customers.
The 7X35 will do well since there are hardly any above par through premium 7X roof models available on the market these days, they may fit the bill for that vacancy.

I wish them luck, but I suspect they will sell at lower #s than the trinovid HD/UV/Noctivid models.

Andy W.
Sometimes I wonder how many binoculars Leica sells. I don't think it is near Swarovski, Vortex or even Zeiss. They just don't seem to market them as well IMO.

I can affirm that we had over 150 hunt*^%s in camps over the past 15 years, and the only Leica binocs that ever showed up in camp was the very occasional Geovid, and you could count those on one hand. Swaro dominated and it wasn't even close. Never saw a Vortex anything (rightfully so), and only saw a smattering of Gold Ring HD's, Nikon, and Zeiss.

Sometimes I wonder how many binoculars Leica sells. I don't think it is near Swarovski, Vortex or even Zeiss. They just don't seem to market them as well IMO.

I wonder what their in-house mission statement is...
They risk becoming the Bang & Olufsen of optics the way they seem to be going.

I agree they are capable of producing high quality, good looking products, but whoever is minding the store seems more concerned about promoting and preserving legacy and image than serving a broader potential consumer market, or looking to innovate.

What they're doing now may actually be some marketing whiz's idea of being innovative. Mid-century modern is in vogue. Millenials in tech earning 6 figure salaries that are buying turntables and vinyl, may cotton to the Retrovid as a lovely and useful 'artifact' that looks good next to their faux Technics Turntable with the USB port, and the re-furbished Marantz with a bluetooth adapter...

I wonder what their in-house mission statement is...
They risk becoming the Bang & Olufsen of optics the way they seem to be going.

I agree they are capable of producing high quality, good looking products, but whoever is minding the store seems more concerned about promoting and preserving legacy and image than serving a broader potential consumer market, or looking to innovate.

What they're doing now may actually be some marketing whiz's idea of being innovative. Mid-century modern is in vogue. Millenials in tech earning 6 figure salaries that are buying turntables and vinyl, may cotton to the Retrovid as a lovely and useful 'artifact' that looks good next to their faux Technics Turntable with the USB port, and the re-furbished Marantz with a bluetooth adapter...
Well said.

...... As far as I am concerned the New Trinovids are ....
..... likely not made as rugged as a UV. .....

I first thought that too, but have since, based on my using them and on my long time experience under harsh conditions with the original Leitz Trinovid, come to the opinion that they are maybe as rugged as the UV (esp. when it comes to hard bumps on the focus wheel, which is perhaps the weakest part of the UV).

But: they are not waterproof!! (although I have to say that my UV7x42 proved also not to be waterproof recently and needed service ...;) )

Don‘t forget that Leica today is a camera company (just look at their stores) and that sports optics seems only a tiny stepchild in the back of the store ...

Don‘t forget that Leica today is a camera company (just look at their stores) and that sports optics seems only a tiny stepchild in the back of the store ...

Leica also has its Micro, Bio and Geo divisions and thank goodness because camera companies are being squeezed by the rise of the smart phone as the only camera most people need, or want to carry, most of the time.

Lee

Leica

Leica also has its Micro, Bio and Geo divisions and thank goodness because camera companies are being squeezed by the rise of the smart phone as the only camera most people need, or want to carry, most of the time.

Lee

This phenomenon is so true, so since the elevation of the smart phone I am sure that consumers who would buy a digital camera for casual use no longer will and use their phone. Sales no doubt are down.

Come to think of it, the Noctivid is the only new glass from Leica and now these new Trinovids. The UVs have not really changed from the BR to the HD+.

Andy W.

Leica

I first thought that too, but have since, based on my using them and on my long time experience under harsh conditions with the original Leitz Trinovid, come to the opinion that they are maybe as rugged as the UV (esp. when it comes to hard bumps on the focus wheel, which is perhaps the weakest part of the UV).

But: they are not waterproof!! (although I have to say that my UV7x42 proved also not to be waterproof recently and needed service ...;) )

Canip,

Another thing regarding the new Trinovids is if it is splash-proof, moisture could surely migrate into the instrument with abrupt changes in temp and humidity.
So most likely a bit more care when in use, but not like using lets say a Nikon SE for astro and placing it into a ziplock bag before entering an area of increased temperature from freezing temps.

Andy W.

Thanks for the great review Canip! Very thorough I thought! There's not going to be much left for me to say about the 7X35!

I never bird in the rain or in extremely cold weather so the waterproofness and fogproofness of the Retrovid's are not a big issue. I must say the Retrovid's 7x35 are a good all-around compact binocular. i have been using them birding and the close focus or focus speed doesn't bother me at all. The 7x35 is really a nice format giving you a steady view with great DOF and it is really bright with the 5mm exit pupil even in low light and easy for eye placement. It is not much bigger than a Zeiss Victory 8x25 but it really is a much better birding binocular.

Lee

To my information the 4 divisions (Camera, Micro, Bio and Geo) are completely independent Companies. They share only the brand, nothing else. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

This is different from Swarovski, here the 3 divisions are independent but belong to the same owner family.

Thanks for the great review Canip! Very thorough I thought! There's not going to be much left for me to say about the 7X35!

Sorry, Chuck, I disagree! I wrote about the 8x40 after having looked at it with my eyes only.

There is plenty for you to say about the 7x35, and if you have time, I would really appreciate a review from your side.

How do you find CA in the 7x35? One of my main questions I had about the 7x35, different people see CA very differently.
How is it compared to the 7x42 - brightness, contrast, etc? Handling (it is tiny, can you hold it as steady as the 7x42?) ?
I found the 8x40 quite „edge-sharp“ - how do you rate the 7x35 in this respect?
Stray-light resistance - how would you rate it?

etc etc etc

(This will allow to put the story about the various Retrovids together - maybe we find someone to rate the 10x40 as well?)

Your input will be extremely welcome!

Canip

Last edited:
Frankly I've never understood this because phones are only good at their widest angle. If you try to "zoom" digitally to get a more natural look (not to mention wildlife) the result is awful. So people are never even recognizing a large part of what photography is, unless they have a binocular or scope to put in front of their phone (which becomes a sales opportunity for Leica even there).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back