• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon DSLR to Leica 25-50x wide-angle (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to connect up by Canon 7D (Mk1) to my Leica APO-Televid 65 with the 25-50x wide-angle eyepiece.

I believe the Leica DA4 fits the eyepiece (which is large - nearly 60mm diameter so bigger than most) but it is tailored only to Leica's own Lux camera.

Has anyone tried a DIY setup for this combination? I found a universal adapter which screws onto the 40mm pancake lens I have just bought for the camera but at max aperture it is only 55mm wide so too small to fit over the Leica eyepiece.

Is it possible to attach something else like a step-up ring or something? Ideally I would need a collar long enough to fit over the entire eyepiece as the camera body is very heavy and any attachment needed would need to be robust and a snug fit to prevent additional camera shake.

Thanks for any advice. :t:

James

I have attached a pic of the eyepiece and the only adapter I have currently

Attachments

• IMG_3379.jpg
    IMG_3379.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 72
No replies, so I'll provide an update myself which might be useful to others. Yesterday I tried handholding the setup. Wasn't overly optimistic but surprisingly I achieved some excellent results (admitedly in good light). Might try to post some pics.

I've traditionally handheld compact cameras/ iphones for digiscoping rather than using an adapter and it seems for now I can continue to do this, though an adapter would clearly be useful in low light situations.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back