• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumnwatch 2020 (1 Viewer)

Yes, thanks very much for that Euan... I was thinking about it the other day and wondering if it was on.

Springwatch had quite an interesting format, which I found interesting, so waiting to see how they handle it this time.

Yes, thanks very much for that Euan... I was thinking about it the other day and wondering if it was on.

Springwatch had quite an interesting format, which I found interesting, so waiting to see how they handle it this time.

Yes I think so too

Chris was on the very top of his game yesterday (so was Megan); Iolo handled his brief comfortably and Gillian has finally settled down, no twitching or stammering at all. Michaela's contribution was, I thought, the odd one out with her childish fooling about increasingly irritating.

The wildlife was great, from pale badgers to Welsh Pine Martens and a teasing second or two of Northern Bottlenose Whales that I hope trails a feature later. Something that crossed my mind: why not run a moth trap as a regular feature on one of the Watches (or all of them, to show the changes through the seasons)?

Chris claimed he has Willow Tits visiting his camera'd up feeders in the New Forest - I'd have thought a bold claim these days (incidentally Zoe Ball claimed the same thing the other day but she self-confessedly knows nothing and I'd be mildly surprised if that was even a Marsh Tit). Anyway he challenged the audience to watch the live feeds and try to spot one: given the number of Marsh/Willow queries BF ID section deals with somebody must be up for that.

All in all a treat last night and obviously more to come.

John

Good review! I really enjoyed it. I like the fact at least 2 are still in the same areas as in spring - Chris and Iolo.

I am trying to figure out why Gillian is at Old Moor when they visited it in 2018-19? It is not the most obvious choice for an autumn visit in my humble opinion.
I don't think I had ever heard of Tentsmuir before so it was a nice surprise and seems like a place I would like to visit in the future.

Nice to know it is on for 8 nights too!

Chris was on the very top of his game yesterday (so was Megan); Iolo handled his brief comfortably and Gillian has finally settled down, no twitching or stammering at all. Michaela's contribution was, I thought, the odd one out with her childish fooling about increasingly irritating.

The wildlife was great, from pale badgers to Welsh Pine Martens and a teasing second or two of Northern Bottlenose Whales that I hope trails a feature later. Something that crossed my mind: why not run a moth trap as a regular feature on one of the Watches (or all of them, to show the changes through the seasons)?

Chris claimed he has Willow Tits visiting his camera'd up feeders in the New Forest - I'd have thought a bold claim these days (incidentally Zoe Ball claimed the same thing the other day but she self-confessedly knows nothing and I'd be mildly surprised if that was even a Marsh Tit). Anyway he challenged the audience to watch the live feeds and try to spot one: given the number of Marsh/Willow queries BF ID section deals with somebody must be up for that.

All in all a treat last night and obviously more to come.

John

I don't think I had ever heard of Tentsmuir before so it was a nice surprise and seems like a place I would like to visit in the future.

It was my old local patch back in the 80s. More people than birds these days but still lots to see offshore in autumn and winter - divers, grebes, & sea ducks. There have been some gains - white-tailed eagles notably but a few losses too - don't think there are any breeding terns now and capers are long gone. Earlshall was always good for short-eared owl and Morton lochs had a decent autumn passage of waders - got my first spotted redshank there.

They haven't really shown anything from Tentsmuir yet.

I wouldn’t say CP was on top of his game but rather demonstrably contrite. And rightly so having been subject to a long overdue stiff talking to by the new BBC Director General in the importance of impartiality.

And I don’t mean his failure to recognise jazz as an acceptable genre of music!

LGM

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say CP was on top of his game but rather demonstrably contrite. And rightly so having been subject to a long overdue stiff talking to by the new BBC Director General in the importance of impartiality.

And I don’t mean his failure to recognise jazz as an acceptable genre of music!

LGM

When you talk about his impartiality are you referring to his opinions on Twitter or other social media/tv? If you are then I couldn’t disagree with you more ! Just because he works for the BBC doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a right to his own opinion.

Loud Green Man;4082132 And rightly so having been subject to a long overdue stiff talking to by the new BBC Director General in the importance of impartiality. LGM[/QUOTE said:
Where's your evidence please, that this occurred? The DG made a general statement regarding employees personal and political views. I'm not yet aware of Packham being singled out for a "stiff talking to".

Caught up Wed and watched yesterday evening live - enjoyed both immensely, and looking forward to tonight's edition.

I think the new BBC Cummings puppet is way off beam - the BBC version of impartiality ought to be full opportunity for both sides of an argument to hang themselves verbally, and if one side won't engage that's their look out. Otherwise proper investigative journalism is dead, and so for that matter are lots of other things. How can the BBC conduct charity nights for Africa without showing the corruption and resources the countries could use to improve the lot of their citizens without charitable donations at the same time and in equal proportion, if they must be "impartial"? It's a recipe for lowest common denominator TV and for that matter society.

If people like Chris Packham are muzzled to enable the continuing appallingness of the Victorian establishment then posterity will judge the muzzlers harshly, and properly, as not editorially impartial and independent but as sycophantic Government poodles working against the interests of the British people and their environment.

John

Enjoyed this Autumnwatch. Well done to all the contributors for presenting good tonic TV for these difficult times.

Si.

I enjoyed it but think they should have one presenter in Ireland they always focus Scotland Wales & England. Nothing wrong with that but would be nice if they focused on Ireland Wildlife too.

Gillian does more for BLM than any amount of "knee bending". She is knowledgeable and confident perhaps a little serious but this is balanced by Michaela, more bubbly but rather less knowledgeable.
I agree Chris seemed a little subdued despite his recent success against shooting wildlife, hope he hasn't been threatened.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back