• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens question (400mm or 300mm) (1 Viewer)

matritte

Hey guys. I was debating between a 400mm 5.6 lens, or a 300mm 4.0 lens with a 1.4 adapter.

I'd perhaps even get the adapter with the 400mm lens, but from what I have researched it results in image quality degradation.

Could anyone shed light (terrible pun) on these options? My camera is the original 5D. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Matritte,

This is one of those never ending questions, and it all comes down to what sort of photography you are going to do.

If it's mainly birds that you photograph, then I'd say go with the 400f5.6 as it's a superb flight shot lens and just as good for static subjects.

But, if like me, you photograph all sorts of different wildlife, then go with the 300f4 + 1.4T/C, I have this combo and it is superb for Birds, Mammals and the small stuff like Butterflies / Dragonflies. The 300f4 is one of the best macro lenses out there and produces some fantastic results.

Whichever way you go, you can't go wrong with either lens.

Andy...

Thanks, Andy.

I've actually never shot telephoto, so can you give me an idea how close to the bird I'd have to be with 400mm vs 300mm?

Hi Matritte,

Here are some rough figures for 300f4LIS on both a 1.3 (1D3) / 1.6 (7D) sensors, these are for a Sparrow sized bird and will allow for a little cropping.

1.3 sensor

Bare 300mm about 3m
300mm + 1.4TC about 4m

1.6 sensor

Bare 300mm about 4m
300mm + 1.4TC about 5m

I believe your 5D has a 1.0 ( Full Frame ) sensor, so in that case you will have to get a little closer.

As for the 400f5.6 you can add a little more distance, I'm quite sure someone on here can help out with those figures.

Don't be swayed by people telling you that the 300f4LIS is a soft lens, mine is pin sharp with and without the 1.4 extender. I use a 500f4LIS + 1.4TC for all my bird photography and the 300f4LIS isn't too far behind in the sharpness stakes.

Like I said before, if you want a lens just for birds then go with the 400f5.6, but if want a little versatility then go with the 300f4 + 1.4TC.

Hope this helps and I wait to be corrected ;)

Andy...:eat:

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you Andy, those figures help.

I'm leaning toward the longer focal length so the 400mm. I did read the 1.4x doesn't work on this lens, though. Someone mentioned taping a few pins gets it to work. Can anyone confirm?

Also, 3-5m is pretty close to the birds. Do you guys find that hiding in a location and waiting is the best strategy? I'll figure this part out on my own but just wondering what you guys do.

Last edited:
The converter will work with the lens, just not correctly with the camera, but yes taping the pins will get it to autofocus though slowly. A quick search online will tell you which pins.

As far as getting close to the birds, that's the difficult part. Yes, I tend to wait somewhere where I know the are going to be, usually through feeding, and let the come to me. A good example are shore birds. If the tide is coming and you sit in the right place and wait, they will come to you as the feed at the waters edge. It just depend on the bird, time of year and how used to people they are. Alternatively you could use some kind of hide.

Frank

Awesome, thank you Andy, those figures help.

I'm leaning toward the longer focal length so the 400mm. I did read the 1.4x doesn't work on this lens, though. Someone mentioned taping a few pins gets it to work. Can anyone confirm?

Also, 3-5m is pretty close to the birds. Do you guys find that hiding in a location and waiting is the best strategy? I'll figure this part out on my own but just wondering what you guys do.

Getting close comes with practice. I rarely sit in one location for long and spend most of my time searching for birds. My suggestion is to get with local Audubon and do some weekend trips with them. You learn about local spots faster and may make some friends to go birding with. I use the 400 5.6 and love it. My friend uses the 300 with and w/o 1.4x and gets great pics. Can't go wrong with either

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back