• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D + ????? (1 Viewer)

Roadcat- google Canon Refurb

Canon USA has refurbs at discount. Watch for sales!
Then there is the canon loyalty program....

Thanks guys! Going to a camera store in Mobile, AL that will let me try some lenses. You guys were an amazing help. I admit I tent to not use my tripod due to bulk in the field. I really need to start doing that. :)

You could try a used Tokina AF 400mm 5.6 that will be much cheaper. Try it out with your camera body first to see if the AF works.

Canon 7D + 100-400

The 100-400 is a step up from the Sigma but you can only expect so much from heavy crops. It doesn't have the reach but it should give sharper images even when cropped more. Assuming you've got a good copy and it's set up correctly.

Looking closely at the shots I think you might need to try tuning the autofocus micro-adjust. The Dipper and Wagtail shots certainly seem to have sharper areas of focus just in front of the subjects (eg the weed in front of the stick by the dipper, or the rock in front of the wagtail).

Although I have investigated the micro-adjust I haven't taken the plunge as it appears a little technical for me, especially given the distance required for 400mm tuning.

I have added a few more photo's which are all heavy crops, no sharpening or light enhancements.
The light and distance were the worst for the tree creeper and the nearest was the sanderling which was about 3 metres away.

Attachments

• Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa) 1LQ Titchwell north Norfolk  150414g.jpg
    Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa) 1LQ Titchwell north Norfolk 150414g.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Corn Bunting (Emberiza calandra) 1LQ Chosely Barns  Norfolk 130414 LQ.jpg
    Corn Bunting (Emberiza calandra) 1LQ Chosely Barns Norfolk 130414 LQ.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Harrier Marsh Harrier 3ALQ  Circus aeruginosus Cley next the Sea Norfolk  140414LQ.jpg
    Harrier Marsh Harrier 3ALQ Circus aeruginosus Cley next the Sea Norfolk 140414LQ.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 51
  • Sanderling (Calidris alba) 1LQ Titchwell north Norfolk  130414.jpg
    Sanderling (Calidris alba) 1LQ Titchwell north Norfolk 130414.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 62
  • Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) 2a Scullthorpe Moor  Norfolk 140414.jpg
    Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) 2a Scullthorpe Moor Norfolk 140414.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 53
I still think there's some AFMA issues, on the Godwit and Treecreeper there are parts of the image much sharper than the bird to my eye (eg the ripples in front of the Godwit). The Sanderling shot looks great, you've probably lucked out with the AF on that one, plus not having to crop so much, but it shows the lens is capable of good results.

Full AFMA tuning can be tricky on long lenses, particularly zooms, but for a quick test to see if it needs doing: set your lens+camera up on a tripod, set up a decent target at the distance you usually photo birds from. Take a few shots using phase difference autofocus (ie through the viewfinder), moving the lens out of focus each time. Then take a few using contrast difference autofocus (ie using Liveview, it's much slower but can be more accurate and isn't affected by AFMA settings). A bit of sun and good shutter speeds help eliminate blur.

If the two sets of shots are the same then that's just the best the lens will do. If the contrast one is much better than the phase one then the AFMA will need adjusting to get the best results. If the lens is soft in both then it may be a duff copy and you should get in touch with the supplier about returning/replacing it.

My 100-400 isn't perfect, and I find the AF a little hit or miss, but it's certainly capable of good results when it hits.

Canon7D+100-400 5.6

I still think there's some AFMA issues.........

Full AFMA tuning can be tricky on long lenses, particularly zooms,
My 100-400 isn't perfect, and I find the AF a little hit or miss, but it's certainly capable of good results when it hits.

I am reviving this in case it is of any interest to anyone else.
I would certainly agree with the latter part of Frinkys quote.
During our recent pilgrimage to Lesvos, I had to delete many hundreds of out of focus images, especially of flight shots, so as far as I'm concerned the jury's still out.
Most of my images are hand held, generally the closer the target the sharper the image. I will add that I had trouble adjusting to the close and distant focus switch for birds. There was an obvious improvement in insect shots when compared to the Bigma.
Please click on the Lesvos 2014 link below, if the results of this lens and
the photoshop program are of further interest.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back