• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1dmk111 (1 Viewer)

foxydave

Hi all have up graded to canon 1dmk111 second hand but not happy with the qaulity of the shots I have 600 m canon lense .i always had a 40d and 7d , but thought this was the way forward my shots seem noisy even at low iso and high speed Lot of colour noise really not happy any ideas what I am doing wrong regards dave

I've been using the MkIII as my main camera for sometime now and have been happy with the noise. Compared with the 40d it should be better and those who have used it and the 7d feel it's as good or better especially at lower ISOs. It's hard to say without some examples of what you're unhappy with.

Dave
I have been using Mkiii for a couple of years and am very happy with the results. There are a number of articles on the web for settings, have you tried googling and checking yours? I used this 'canon 1dmkiii settings for bird photography' and it brings some up. PM me with your email and can send you some links.

Regards

Phil

I have both the 1DMk111 and the 7D, both are used for Wildlife, and the Mk111 stays in my bag as a back up. On bright days the Mk111 performs OK, but if it's overcast then the camera is more use as a doorstop. As already mentioned, check out the articles on the web and try loads of different settings.

Andy...:t:

Last edited:
I would still be interested in seeing some examples of the noisy images you are having with this camera and information on how you process them. I'm probably just used to what I am getting from it that I feel they are fine for me, but obviously sensor technology moving on as quick as it is, the camera has become quickly dated. I've had a look at your website but there's no indication what camera was used for each image.

It's hard to post in this forum my own example images as their size won't give a true sense of noise, but most of those images of wildlife on my website in the last three years, were taken on the 1D MkIII and up to 3200 (I stay away from 6400) and will give you a comparison. I've found with all the cameras I've used, noise can come in at any ISO depending on the lighting, how you expose/meter and the processing methods and are always particularly noticeable in dark areas if you get it wrong.

If you google Canon 1D MkII vs 7D, there's quite a bit of information and opinions on this including actual image comparisons from people who have owned both. It is possible that the fault is with your particular camera which would be unlucky though not unheard of. Although I don't remember it being listed as one of the faults with early batches of the camera, it might still be worth looking to see if this is one of the numbers that had the faulty focusing issues as this can still be fixed for free and would give you an opportunity to mention the noise problem too.

Frank

I use the 1d3 as my main camera now in ALL conditions ,it excels at high iso work up to 3200 with no noise problems at all ,as others have also stated ,so it's either a dodgy camera or simply the wrong settings .or possibly the lens at fault ,have a look through my Flickr pics over the last few months and you will see what I mean

i.e
pride of place by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back