• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100m macro (1 Viewer)

foxydave

Hi all just purchased a canon 100 m macro f/2 .it does not fit my canon extender I did hear you have to buy some sort ring any help please

Hi all just purchased a canon 100 m macro f/2 .it does not fit my canon extender I did hear you have to buy some sort ring any help please
Canon extenders are only compatible with certain lenses Dave because of the protrusion (basically all primes from 200mm up and the 70-200 zooms + the new 400+560 lens).
It might be possible to mount an extension tube between the converter and lens but this is a fiddle really and will effect both the minimum and max focus distance of the lens - if you do this you have to make sure that the extension tube will take the protrusion of the converter (I have extension tubes that will not take the Canon tc).

The best bet for this macro lens is an off brand extender like the Kenko Pro.

You could also mount an extension tube between the macro lens and the extender to give some space for the front protruding element of the latter. You'll lose the ability to focus to infinity though. Not a problem with macro shooting I guess.

You could also mount an extension tube between the macro lens and the extender to give some space for the front protruding element of the latter. You'll lose the ability to focus to infinity though. Not a problem with macro shooting I guess.
Yep, I already said that in post #2 but it should be noted that this does not work with all extension tubes.

I use a cheap 13mm extension tube that allows me to use a 1.4 or 2 x extender on all my EF lenses - see attached image.
I had to cut it around a bit (with a Stanley knife) to clear the extender but it works fine. Note you will loose infinity focus but that is hardly a problem on a Macro lens!

Attachments

• extension3.JPG
    extension3.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 34
Just a few more things to consider Dave:
With a 1.4x tc and 12mm extension tube the max focusing distance is around 4ft and it gives around 1.7x magnification.
With a 20mm tube the max focusing distance is 2.5 ft ( about 2x mag).
Not sure which of the 100 macros you have Dave but with the 100 macro L IS it could be that you will not get AF with an extension tube + Canon 1.4x tc also the IS may not work (conflicting reports).
What apparently does work fine with both the L and non L version of the lens is the Kenko Pro DGX 1.4x tc without an extension tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back