• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Targets for 2018 (1 Viewer)

I shouldn't worry about Caspian Gull - It'll be lumped again sooner or later anyway - Just lost a large white-headed gull from my HK list last weekend, and can't remember if it's Yellow-legged, Mongolian or Vega!

Cheers
Mike

August 16th

This morning we returned to our back up Stone Curlew site, with much better results, three birds seen, and much better than any of the views we’ve had a Weeting. Satisfied that at least one of the previous day’s wrongs had been righted we then proceeded to Minsmere, the plan being to spend a long leisurely day there.

We checked in, picked up our maps, and headed out onto the reserve. The walk round to East Hide was uneventful, and with very little on show when we arrived there we decided to continue on to the viewing platform where decent numbers of Little Gulls had been seen recently. As usual on these walks I was bombarded with many more questions than I knew the answers to, and was trying to come up with an adequate response to a query about grasshoppers when both boys suddenly let out a great yell and leapt back. I turned to see what all the fuss was about, only to discover that as they had gone backwards I had neatly stepped over an Adder out on the sandy track! I had been so distracted by the never-ending Q & A that I’d not noticed it, a lovely copper coloured specimen, we were treated to point blank views of it weaving its way swiftly into the marram. Too fast or me to even lay hands on my camera, let alone talk pictures, but a truly excellent encounter!

The rest of the walk round was never quite going to beat that, even with eighty some Little Gulls showing from the platform (the juveniles, a plumage tick for the boys, proved most popular), and decent views of Greenshank & Spotted Redshank. Once we’d completed our circuit we headed off to the Nature Centre where there were bird ringing sessions taking place. We arrived just in time to see a Reed Warbler in the hand, followed by a couple of Blue Tits and a Great Tit. Last up was a male Blackcap, one of Arch’s favourite birds, and best of all he was allowed to release it, the bird being place on its back on his hand, which he then lowered until it tipped off and flew away. Then the rain set in. We had a go at scanning the reeds from Bittern Hide, picked up a nice showy untimid Muntjac on the way, but there was nothing doing so we headed back to the café for a bite to eat.

After lunch I had a quick check of the news, only to discover the American Golden Plover had been seen back at Hazlewood. I fancied another crack at this, having now seen some photos online showing a nice sum plum jobbie, but the dip fairies weren’t done with us yet, and in spite of the local birder who had initially found it (thoroughly nice get) helping out with good site gen we again came away empty handed. That was it really, for the wildlife portion of the trip. A couple more half-assed attempts at finding a Caspian Gull in Southwold and some more nice dragonfly sightings (including Migrant Hawker), and it was time to head home.

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 26
August 30th - 31st

One last blast before another school year begins started off with another attempt on the Otter Beavers. The stroll out to the lodge was brightened up by a perched-up Kingfisher, but on arriving at last year’s stake-out it was clear that the lodge was in a state of some disrepair, I couldn’t see any self-respecting Beaver allowing its home to deteriorate to such an extent so I assumed they’d moved on. Hmmm, what to do then? A quick text conference with “John the Mammal” suggested a search arena further downstream, but we had no better luck here. I think perhaps we’ll take our Beaver custom to Tayside in future, unless the news from Devon improves considerably.

The following day we continued on down to Cornwall for a few nights camping, with a trio of Med Gulls below Minack while we pottered round the theatre and a couple of Choughs between the campsite and the coast path while we were out looking for migrants (none seen) opening the birding account, and a monster Tuna, leaping fully clear of the water a tick for me while I scanned the ocean, but missed by the boys unfortunately. Went to bed full of anticipation, big day tomorrow….

Attachments

• IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2445.JPG
    IMG_2445.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 19
September 1st: part I

We were ready and waiting in Penzance by 06:00. It was dull, with a fine misty drizzle, and although calm enough for now I knew from conditions at the campsite that there was a stiff breeze blowing out there. Still, today was the day, just have to make the most of it. We were booked onto one of The Mermaid pelagics that give you six hours out in Mounts Bay. With Shearwaters (especially Sooty, Arch had a real hankering for this one) and Skuas on our target list for this year when I saw ClarkWGriswold’s thread “Cornwall Pelagic” and with the camping trip to Cornwall already planned I decided to (pardon the pun) push the boat out and book us on.

It took around an hour and a half to get out to the more productive waters where it’s worth chumming, and on the way out we were passed by Gannets, Fulmars, Manx Shearwaters & Kittiwakes, the last a year tick for the boys, as was Arctic Tern and, eventually, European Storm Petrels. These were first seen as brief fly-bys, but once we’d stopped and chummed we started to get a few lingering by the boat, numbers slowly building up, but throughout the trip we never managed to pull out a Wilson’s.

Photography was a real challenge, the pitching of the boat on the choppy swell, fast moving targets, dull light and constant drizzle dewing the lens, so all in all I was pretty pleased to get anything. (Although one or two chaps were kitted out with the monster lensed DSLRs, rattling away, and a few sneaky peaks over their shoulders revealed some impressive results, don’t know how they do it!)

We were a good way into the trip by now, and although the Stormies were fun, I was beginning to wonder if the birds were going to provide me with my money’s worth. Not to want to come across too mercenary, but when you have to stump up for three tickets, well, you really want something to show for it!

Attachments

• IMG_2640.JPG
    IMG_2640.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2957.JPG
    IMG_2957.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 33
September 1st: part II

After a while a few Manxies started to appear, but eventually it was a Bonxie, powering through at warp speed, that gave the boys their first new bird of the voyage. It was followed by a Sooty Shearwater (to huge excitement) then a Balearic, which managed to slip by without them getting a decent look, but at least things were happening now, including plenty of Common Dolphin sightings, with animals joining us for extended periods, bow riding just feet away. By now we had found a decent raft of Shearwaters, birds all over the place, with plenty of Sooties mixed in with the Manx, and we also had a couple more visits from Bonxies, and a pale Arctic Skua, just the one, although at least we all got on it.

Attachments

• 1 IMG_3458.JPG
    1 IMG_3458.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 46
  • 2 IMG_3404.JPG
    2 IMG_3404.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 3 IMG_3209.JPG
    3 IMG_3209.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 4 IMG_3422.JPG
    4 IMG_3422.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 5 IMG_2674.JPG
    5 IMG_2674.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 47
September 1st: part III

It wasn’t long before we had a more cooperative Balearic Shearwater making a couple of close passes behind the boat (that’s the top of Arch’s head at the bottom of the pics, gives a sense of the bird’s proximity), all on its own too; trying to give directions to the right bird in amongst a crowd can be taxing, so a loner was appreciated. The Great Shearwater that pitched in next was a sight more gregarious, but happily it sat itself down in amongst the Manx & Sooties for long enough for everyone to pick it out before it was off again. We had a couple more Great sightings and a nice raft of around a score of Sooties, before the birds started to disperse, and it was time to strike out for shore. One final bonus was an Ocean Sunfish, the tip of its caudal fin loosely flip-flopping about, the big silvery disc of its body just discernible, every now and then, beneath the surface.

A great trip then, on board expert Martin Elliot was a top bloke, and it was a five tick day for the boys, first one since October two years ago (Siberian Accentor et al). And, it would be reasonable to suppose, quite possibly their last, given that it left them on 279, with the law of diminishing returns increasing its grip. (I’ve not had one since August ’87, on The Chalice; it moved me from 275 to 280, and also featured Great Shearwater.)

Attachments

• IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3440.JPG
    IMG_3440.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 45
September 2nd - 3rd

Another walk out from the campsite to the coast path to look for migrants, nothing but Chiffies, although Arch nailed a Stoat which I missed, then a failed attempt for Wryneck at Land’s End and it was time to up sticks and head back home. I burned some time on the return drive detouring to Rame to look for the Ortolans that had been there the previous couple of days. Conditions on arrival were poor, with the wires the over the fields rather distant, and the light harsh and against us. Forty minutes, oodles of Goldfinches, a few Linnets, a couple of Chaffinches and a Yellowhammer later I called time and we headed off for some more reliable Bunting action in the form of half a dozen rather scruffy looking Cirls at Labrador Bay. There followed a long uneventful drive home, pondering on when our next trip down here, a part of the country that has yet to let me down over many early autumn camping trips, might be.

Attachments

• IMG_3759.JPG
    IMG_3759.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 48
September 12th

A pleasing little run out to Burton Mere Wetlands after school today to see if we could see the Spotted Crake there. It was initially elusive, so we watched the Green Sandpiper instead for a bit and, counted the Snipe that were out feeding, fifteen, all of which lifted, as did loads of Teal and Lapwing, when a ringtail Harrier cruised in (first spotted and correctly called by Arch). Quickly established it was Hen rather than Pallid, a second count of the Snipe once they’d settled increased their number to twenty, and finally the Crake emerged. Unfortunately, it chose its moment to break cover while the boys had popped back to the car to fetch themselves a drink! Eventually it reappeared, several times but it was always distant, and quick to return to cover each time and Sam never managed to get on it, but he wasn’t too miffed.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.JPG
    IMG_4001.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4016.JPG
    IMG_4016.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 51
Sam will get views of Spotted Crake sooner or later. Something to look forward to!

Thanks for a great session in the Trevor Arms on Sunday - I was fairly astonished to feel reasonably OK the next morning. No Belugas at Hawarden but 4 RAF Hawk T2 and 4 Juno helicopters too.

Great account of your boat trip with lots to show for it!

I’ve just dipped Great Shearwater on the other side of the Atlantic, so I well gripped by your pix!

On a more ambitious note your pix of Sooty Shearwater have me wondering how long it is before someone claims a Short-tailed Shearwater in the UK.

Cheers
Mike

Cheers
Mike

Great account of your boat trip with lots to show for it!

I’ve just dipped Great Shearwater on the other side of the Atlantic, so I well gripped by your pix!

On a more ambitious note your pix of Sooty Shearwater have me wondering how long it is before someone claims a Short-tailed Shearwater in the UK.

Cheers
Mike

Cheers
Mike

Came up in conversation on the boat. Could most likely happen while someone is reviewing their pics at a later date, what with the quality of kit that now routinely gets in amongst the seabirds these days.

Sam will get views of Spotted Crake sooner or later. Something to look forward to!

Thanks for a great session in the Trevor Arms on Sunday - I was fairly astonished to feel reasonably OK the next morning. No Belugas at Hawarden but 4 RAF Hawk T2 and 4 Juno helicopters too.

Fortunately Sam got very good looks at a Spotted Crake in Yorkshire a couple of years back, and will, as you say, doubtless see more.

And yes, a very good evening was certainly had. Too bad about the Beluga though, something for next time perhaps.

great account of what sounds like a fascinating trip. I also read Rich's (ClarkWGriswold) report of his pelagic and have tentatively penciled it in the diary for next year. Being based in the midlands there is not much scope for sea watching and I have some very large tubenose shaped holes in my list, including Corys which, when one ridiculously turned up at Rutland Water last year I missed as, ironically, I was away working down on the south coast at the time.

Its great to see that the boys are still so keen and obviously honing their skills. Keep up the good work. I always enjoy reading your exploits

A couple of outings on Saturday. Both boys accompanied me to Wilderness on Saturday where we successfully found the pectoral sandpiper - a lifer for both somewhat surprisingly. Not much else there other than a ruff. In the afternoon Daniel came with me to the Eden and we saw a couple of curlew sandpipers (new for the year) along with 3 little egret, 7 ruff and an osprey.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back