Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Any idea what kind of bird this is?

Old Tuesday 11th December 2018, 22:26   #1
markthings

Question Any idea what kind of bird this is?

Hi,

I'm trying to identify a species of bird (or at least get in the neighborhood) based on its call... the sample is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14r...YFbjEou511WORF

I believe it's tropical... Any idea?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

-Mark
Old Tuesday 11th December 2018, 22:34   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Can't really tell but one of our geniuses should come up with a name

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th December 2018, 01:25   #3
markthings

Thank you, KC! Looking forward to it. :-)

-Mark
Old Wednesday 12th December 2018, 23:12   #4
howiewu

Assuming you meant this was recorded in your neighborhood in Maryland, whatever it is, it’s not a native bird (if it’s a bird at all), I’ve never heard anything like it. Maybe some musical Christmas decoration?
Old Thursday 13th December 2018, 00:25   #5
markthings

Red face

@howiewu,

Thank you for your assessment. I am approaching this completely blindly... I don't know the origin of the recording, and I'm tasked with emulating it on a larger scale for an A/V project. I'm hoping to get a ballpark idea of what species it sounds like to anyone who may have an idea.

For all I know, it may indeed be synthetic, which may be how I'll have to approach it for my project. Still holding out hope that it's at least vaguely representative of an identifiable bird species, if not itself a real bird recording.

Thanks again for the response!

-Mark
Old Thursday 13th December 2018, 03:32   #6
howiewu

Quote:
Originally Posted by markthings View Post
@howiewu,

Thank you for your assessment. I am approaching this completely blindly... I don't know the origin of the recording, and I'm tasked with emulating it on a larger scale for an A/V project. I'm hoping to get a ballpark idea of what species it sounds like to anyone who may have an idea.

For all I know, it may indeed be synthetic, which may be how I'll have to approach it for my project. Still holding out hope that it's at least vaguely representative of an identifiable bird species, if not itself a real bird recording.

Thanks again for the response!

-Mark
Sorry I think I misunderstood what you said about “neighborhood” in your original message (I read too hastily). Regardless, I have no idea what it is, hopefully others can help you, although without location info, that may be difficult.
Old Thursday 13th December 2018, 15:02   #7
jmorlan
Hmmm. That's funny -- Opus Editor

Where was this recorded?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: