• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Charadriiformes (1 Viewer)

Taking IOC World Bird List V2.5 as a baseline, the proposed phylogenetic classification includes the following species-level differences:

• [Rostratula australis included within R benghalensis]
  • Glareola ocularis, lactea, cinerea, nuchalis to Subglareola
  • Subglareola liberiae Rufous-naped Pratincole split from S nuchalis White-naped Pratincole
  • Pluvianus to Glareolidae
  • [Cursorius somalensis included within C cursor]
  • Cursorius littoralis Kenyan Courser split from C cursor
  • Rhinoptilus africanus to Smutsornis
  • [Burhinus indicus included within B oedicnemus]
  • Burhinus grallarius to Orthoramphus
  • [Himantopus melanurus included within H mexicanus]
  • Himantopus knudseni Hawaiian Stilt split from H mexicanus
  • [Haematopus finschi included within H longirostris]
  • Haematopus osculans Korean Oystercatcher split from H ostralegus
  • Haematopus galapagensis Galápagos Oystercatcher split from H palliatus
  • Vanellus leucoptera (leucopterus?) White-winged Lapwing split from V crassirostris
  • Vanellus latifrons White-fronted Lapwing split from V tectus
  • Vanellus novaehollandiae Black-shouldered Lapwing split from V miles
  • Vanellus atronuchalis White-eared Lapwing split from V indicus
  • Vanellus lateralis Black-bellied Lapwing split from V senegallus Streaked Lapwing
  • Charadrius australis to Peltohyas
  • Charadrius modestus to Zonibyx
  • Charadrius morinellus to Eudromias
  • Charadrius obscurus to Pluviorhynchus
  • Charadrius forbesi, tricollaris to Afroxyechus
  • Afroxyechus bifrontatus Gray-fronted Dotterel split from A tricollaris White-fronted Dotterel
  • Charadrius venustus Rift Valley Sandplover split from C pallidus
  • Charadrius tenellus Rufous White-fronted Plover split from C marginatus Gray White-fronted Plover
  • Charadrius atrifrons Spot-fronted Sandplover split from C mongolus Black-fronted Sandplover
  • Thinornis rubricollis to Erythrogonys
  • Phalaropus to Phalaropodidae
  • Phalaropus tricolor to Steganopus
  • Eurynorhynchus to Calidris
  • Calidris himantopus to Micropalama
  • Tringa brevipes, incana to Heteroscelus brevipes, incanus
  • Aechmorhynchus parvirostris to Prosobonia cancellata
  • Limosa baueri Siberian Bar-tailed Godwit split from L lapponica Lapland Bar-tailed Godwit
  • Numenius hudsonicus Hudsonian Whimbrel, N variegatus Siberian Whimbrel split from N phaeopus European Whimbrel
  • [Coenocorypha iredalei, huegeli included within C aucklandica]
  • [Gallinago andina included within G paraguaiae]
  • [Scolopax bukidnonensis not included]

Last edited:
I haven't seen the full text yet, but it will be interesting to see how he's avoided the influence of convergence in those conclusions, especially as Pluvianus has been 'bumped back' to the Glareolidae again ...

Isn't it boring? Round and round, the same forms split and lumped multiple times for every new piece of evidence? I have a feeling that the purpose is making a buzz, not advancing knowledge.

has he forgotten it or just no material?

Not a word and the article by Kennedy et al. (Kennedy, R. S. et al., 2001. A new species of woodcock (Aves: Scolopacidae) from the Philippines and a re-evaluation of other Asian/Papuasian woodcock. Forktail 17: 1-12.) is not referenced.

In the paper he mentions that the woodcock had no material that was available for him to study. He doesnt suggest that it is not a valid species, just that he couldnt include it within this study.

I would be cautious on reading too much into his classification. At least some birds (such as many snipe) are not included because plumage differences were too subtle for coding. Similarly, the phylogeny isnt really concerned on determining the validity of different species, but more where they fit in relation to one another.

Last edited:
I am surprised that any Calidris sandpiper included, like Dunlin. The list what Richard provided is a real mess (not blaming Richard of course :t:). Some of the splits has been expected like the Hudsonian Whimbrel. I wonder what the world shorebird list will finally be. :) It is quite crucial for me as we are in the middle of making the colour plates for the a new shorebird handbook (see sample plate.). ;)

Cheers, Szimi

yes...the taxonomy in this really is not cleary laid out. I think there was a real missed opportunity here for a combined evidence analysis. fossil taxa would have also been informative 

I am a morphologist by training, but the arguments against the prior molecular studies seemed rather weak.  I suspect much (not all) of this taxonomy will not be supported by further molecular studies.

In the paper he mentions that the woodcock had no material that was available for him to study. He doesnt suggest that it is not a valid species, just that he couldnt include it within this study.
Yes, my comment 'not recognised' was inappropriate. I've changed it to 'not included'.

I would be cautious on reading too much into his classification. At least some birds (such as many snipe) are not included because plumage differences were too subtle for coding. Similarly, the phylogeny isnt really concerned on determining the validity of different species, but more where they fit in relation to one another.
Also true. Although I highlighted low-level details of the classification, clearly the primary goal was to refine interrelationships, rather than to embark on a splitting and lumping exercise per se. And most/all of the 'lumps' indeed simply reflect that the lumped forms were not specifically considered in the analysis - I've changed these to state 'included within' rather than 'lumped with' to indicate that they don't necessarily represent explicit proposals.

Richard

Last edited:
[*]Thinornis rubricollis to Erythrogonys

or T. cucullatus ?

See Olson 1998 (Olson, S. L. 1998. Lectotypification of Charadrius rubricollis Gmelin, 1789. Bull. Brit. Orn. Cl. 118 (4): 256-259) who concludes: " Consequently, the Australian Hooded Plover should henceforth take the name Charadrius cucullatus Vieillot, 1818."

Hooded Dotterel/Plover

or T. cucullatus ?

See Olson 1998 (Olson, S. L. 1998. Lectotypification of Charadrius rubricollis Gmelin, 1789. Bull. Brit. Orn. Cl. 118 (4): 256-259) who concludes: " Consequently, the Australian Hooded Plover should henceforth take the name Charadrius cucullatus Vieillot, 1818."
Interesting. This from Dickinson 2003 Corrigenda 3R:

"Thinornis rubricollis (J.F. Gmelin, 1789): replace with Thinornis cucullatus (Vieillot, 1818). See Olson (1998)(0000) {New ref.} Olson, S.L. 1998. Lectotypification of Charadrius rubricollis Gmelin, 1789. -- Bull BOC 118: 256-259. Here corrected. ... However, this is contested and I gather RS has plans to rebut Olson's views."

[Presumably 'RS' is Richard Schodde (the regional consultant for Australasia).]​

Cucullatus is used by Cornell/Clements; but rubricollis has so far been retained by Zoonomen, IOC, BLI and Christidis & Boles 2008.

Richard

Peter,
I'd be glad of a sight of the full paper for the OSME Region List.
MJB
PS What's PM? I find the best way to lessen my ignorance is to ask 'Noddy' questions!
Private message. Click on Peter Kovalik's name, and then choose 'Send a private message...' etc.

I think Livezey's work is quite interesting, but not very consequential: sometimes he comes up with hypotheses that later are (to a certain extent) backed up by molecular data, at other times making rather off-the-mark suggestions. Just see what happened to his suggestions on duck classification. Note that I am not a big fan of the molecule-based Charadriiformes study that made a mess of the calidrids either!

or T. cucullatus ?
From Birding-Aus:
Greetings birding-aus

with regard to nomenclature of Hooded Plover the two essential
references are:

McAllan, I.A.W. & L. Christidis. 1998. Neotype of the Hooded Plover
Charadrius rubricollis Gmelin, 1789. Bull. Brit. Orn. Cl. 118:59-60.

Olson, S.L. 1998. Lectotypification of Charadrius rubricollis Gmelin,
1789. Bull. Brit. Orn. Cl. 118:256-259.

the two papers arrive at different conclusions. neither is wholly
comprehensible.

cheers
paul

Paul Andrew
Curator
Taronga Zoo
PO Box 20
Mosman
NSW 2088
Australia

Livezey's Shorebirds

Private message. Click on Peter Kovalik's name, and then choose 'Send a private message...' etc.

I think Livezey's work is quite interesting, but not very consequential: sometimes he comes up with hypotheses that later are (to a certain extent) backed up by molecular data, at other times making rather off-the-mark suggestions. Just see what happened to his suggestions on duck classification. Note that I am not a big fan of the molecule-based Charadriiformes study that made a mess of the calidrids either!

Thanks for the helpful response earlier!;)

Having now read Livezey 2010 (53pp!), it's the Appendix that summarises matters. Whatever you may think of the taxonomic consequences of his very deep analysis, have you looked at some of the English names he proposes - for example, 'Green Grayshank'? I thought the US members of the IOC English names subcommittee had the rest of their great nation on board, but perhaps not!

Common names

Whatever you may think of the taxonomic consequences of his very deep analysis, have you looked at some of the English names he proposes - for example, 'Green Grayshank'? I thought the US members of the IOC English names subcommittee had the rest of their great nation on board, but perhaps not!
Yes, I was rather surprised by the various revised common names. Although I can see some justification for the suggestion of names for newly described (or newly split) species in scientific papers, I'm not convinced that it's an appropriate place to propose widespread changes to existing well-established common names. The author is clearly a firm advocate of the adoption of revised common names mapping more closely onto the underlying taxonomic groupings.

Richard

Livezey 2010

Yes, I was rather surprised by the various revised common names. Although I can see some justification for the suggestion of names for newly described (or newly split) species in scientific papers, I'm not convinced that it's an appropriate place to propose widespread changes to existing well-established common names. The author is clearly a firm advocate of the adoption of revised common names mapping more closely onto the underlying taxonomic groupings.

Richard

It almost seems 'bee in bonnet' time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back