• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in California & Nevada in March - suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Doug

My wife and I are doing a road trip in March this year and we could use some suggestions for prime birding spots to maximise what birding time we have. We will have a car.

We have three days in Los Angeles, then two days at Palm Springs, followed by 1 night at Lake Havasu, then 1 night at the Grand Canyon, then Three nights in Las Vegas, then 2 nights in Yosemite, and Finally 3 nights in San Francisco.

Some of our time will be spent doing touristy things but we also would like to kick start our USA list!

if you can give us directions to the sites that would be really helpful

I have gone through the trip reports on the forum and they have been excellent.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give us

Doug

Hi, Doug,

You might want to join the Yahoo group called "Calbirds"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CALBIRDS/

and post your California itinerary there and ask for suggestions (don't ask for suggestions for AZ or NV as it's a CA-only list). When I took a road trip up the Eastern Sierra last summer, I received responses from many members on exactly where to go and what I could expect to see there.

As for the Grand Canyon part of your trip, you might want to post a query on the Northern Arizona Birding Forum at

http://nazas.org/sightings/

Again, you have to register to post a query, but most of the members are located in the Flagstaff/Sedona/Grand Canyon area, and I know they could give you specifics about what's do-able in your one day there -- weather permitting. ;)

Afraid I can't help with the Las Vegas portion of the trip, although you might ask about that on the NAZ forum. Vegas is about 5 1/2 hours from the Grand Canyon.

There's an excellent book for southern California: A Birder's Guide to Southern California, by Brad Schram, published by the American Birding Association (334 pp; $23.95 when I bought mine). For such a brief trip it may tell you much more than you wish to know, but it's by far the most comprehensive source. Of particular help to you, it has suggested itineraries for birding-oriented driving tours, and it has lists of where to find regional specialties.

In addition, the local Audubon Society chapters have on-line resources. You might even find a birding companion to help you find your way around. I grew up in L.A. and San Diego, and I have no trouble driving around, but L.A., in particular, is vast, and it can be overwhelming to a first-time visitor. Go to www.audubon.org for a list of chapters. In particular, check into the Los Angeles Audubon Society.

I also suggest that you also contact the Automobile Club of Southern California (www.acsc.org) for detailed road maps. They have maps of most cities, individual maps of the counties (which are vastly larger than British counties), regional maps (e.g "Los Angeles and Vicinity"), etc. Contact me off-forum if you have trouble getting maps from them or deciding which to get.

For general bird guides (i.e. books), Peterson Field Guides: Western Birds by the late Roger Tory Peterson (published by Houghton-Mifflin) is probably the easiest to use, but it's sliding out of date (and maybe out of print!). There have been some splits and lumps since publication of the last edition (1990). Kenn Kaufman's Field Guide to Birds of North America (also published by Houghton-Mifflin) is also very easy to use. It's the guide I carry with me in the field. Peterson's uses paintings for illustrations, Kaufman's uses digitally doctored photographs, which are uglier (IMHO) but which work very well. It's the basic guide I carry with me. Recent taxonomic changes and range-map revisions have been slip-streamed into the latest printing. Some American birders here will probably recommend The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America by David Allen Sibley, or even the continent-wide Sibley Guide to Birds (both published by Knopf). They are superb, with by far the best treatment of hummingbirds of the general birding guides. But I think the Sibley guides work better for someone who is already generally familiar with American birds and who wants to zero in on two or three known possibilities for study and comparison. Experienced American birders also like the National Geographic Field Guide to Birds of North America (no author -- it was assembled by a committee). I'm not quite so keen on it; some of the hummingbird paintings are laughable, for example. But birders far better than me carry it and even use it as a text for birding classes. Both Sibley and NGS use paintings for illustrations.

There are many great birding spots in SoCal, and even a visit to a city park or cemetery will net many new birds for you, in addition to reminders of home such as House Sparrows, European Starlings and Rock Pigeons. Habitats in SoCal range from sandy beaches to tidal estuaries to chaparral-covered hills to oak woodland to high mountain coniferous forests to sub-sea level deserts. But I think most will agree that one particular must-visit place is the Salton Sea, particularly the south end.

Katy Penland is probably better equipped to help you with Arizona. Don't know if anyone from Las Vegas visits this forum or not.

Thank you both for such quick and comprehensive replies. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

I will research your suggestions now.

Doug

Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas are all nicely covered in the ABA volume "Metropolitan Areas of North America." I have found the accounts in this book very helpful on brief visits to the cities it includes.

Doug said:
My wife and I are doing a road trip in March this year and we could use some suggestions for prime birding spots to maximise what birding time we have. We will have a car.

We have three days in Los Angeles, then two days at Palm Springs, followed by 1 night at Lake Havasu, then 1 night at the Grand Canyon, then Three nights in Las Vegas, then 2 nights in Yosemite, and Finally 3 nights in San Francisco.

Some of our time will be spent doing touristy things but we also would like to kick start our USA list!

Doug

As well as the excellent advice above I'd recommend checking out the following website http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/county.htm

Click on each individual county and you'lll get a listing of the local audubon societies and also links to birding sites in those counties.

A few places I would add as well as the Salton sea mentioned by Curtis are
Morongo preserve (fairly near Palm Springs) http://www.bigmorongo.org/
San Jacinto Wildlife area, down the road for me bwtween LA and Palm Springs
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region6/sanjacinto.html
and also for a great desert experience "Thousand palms oasis"
http://www.ca.blm.gov/pa/wildlife/watchable/areas/coachella.html (close to Palm springs).

Using the Morlan website check out the local audubon societies and if you have time go along for one of their bird walks, if not at least check out where they go for good site info.

Last edited:
San Francisco Area

I lived in the SF Bay Area for 12 years.

There are tons of great sites near SF, including Elkhorn Slough (near Monterey and Carmel), Point Reyes, and Bodega Bay. However, I can recommend a great day's birding trip that isn't too exhausting and should produce around 100 species.

From SF tahe HIghway 80 over the Bay to Arrowhead Marsh, right next to Oakland Airport. This is a great, very underrated site. On each of my last trips there (January 2004 and January 2005) the site was hopping just after dawn: about 50 species in 30-40 minutes.

Then take 24 and 680 up to Mitchell Canyon, which is just east of Concord and is on the slopes of Mount Diablo. Bird the areas around the car park, which is a nice picnic spot.

Then take 680 over the Martinez Bridge to Benicia and head west along the 37. The road goes along the edge of the Bay. You should see plenty of hawks and waterbirds.

When you reach Highway 101, turn south and then go east on Smith Ranch Road to the San Rafael sewage plant. Birding is encouraged here and the site is actually quite attractive!

After this, head south on 101 across the Golden Gate Bridge to SF.

If you're not birded out, head down to Cliff House, which is where the west end of Geary Boulevard meets the Pacific. It's a great place to see the sunset over the ocean and there's a good bistro right on the clifff edge. Before sunset, bird the bathhouse ruins below Cliff House and the beach just to the south.

If you need more info, let me know.

Jeff

Your stay in Yosemite may not be long enough to warrant the expenditure, but Natural History of the Sierra Nevadas is an excellent book that concentrates on wildlife in the Sierras, and it contains photographs of native birds as well as other plant and animal life you will find there. I also will second the recommendation for a visit to the Thousand Palms Oasis near Palm Springs...it is a remarkable park and is home to many local bird species. Downtown San Francisco is home to many unusual varieties of humans and, although they are fun to observe, I would suggest keeping your hands away from their mouths! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visit. ;)

When we stayed in Palm Springs , we took the cable car up the mountain behind the town. Great pine woods with nuthatches , bluebirds , woodpeckers , finches etc. We picked up half a dozen new birds there and it's a good touristy trip too.

Birding LV to SF

Here is a good link for Las Vegas. Click on "Birding trails around las Vegas".
http://www.birdandhike.com/Bird/Bird_index.htm
I have walked the trail in the wetlands preverve. That is good for a morning or afternoon outing. Be advised the traffic in LV is horrendous. I have also driven around in th Mojave National Perserve which is on the way to LV on I-15
http://www.nps.gov/moja/
http://digital-desert.com/mojave-preserve/

I hope you are not planning to get to Yosemite via Highway 395 over Tioga Pass. The pass will not be open until May30 (we keep out fingers crossed) due to snow. I assume you will go from LV to Yosemite via hwy 99. You can make it to Yosemite in 1 long day, but not if you stop to bird. Merced Wildlife Preserve is a good stop along the way. It is west of Hwy 99 just south of Merced. If you make this stop you may need a motel for one night before you get to Yosemite. Merced NWR is a great stop, though.

In San Francisco, I recommend The Presidio and Marin Headlands. There are great birding spots all around the bay, but I know time is a concideration. The Marin Headlands would be ideal for all around birding. It has a lot of raptors on Hawk Hill http://www.ggro.org/, shorebirds and passerines. Plus there is an awsome view from above the Golden Gate Biridge looking back to the SF skyline. Here is the link to the Golden gate Audubon http://www.goldengateaudubon.org/index.htm. Check it before you get to SF and see if you can go on some of their fieldtrips. They are free and do not require reservations.

I also suggest monitoring http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl as this includes postings from Cal birds and is seperated into regions Southern Cal, Central and Northern cal.

Enjoy!
Summer

Doug said:

Doug

To get more information on CA bird sightings in a digest form, here is an excellent resource:

http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl

from this one source you can read a summery of all CA listserves, of which there are many, then get specific sightings information at each individual list, ask questions, etc.

Jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back