Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trinidad & Tobago

Old Wednesday 17th June 2009, 15:48   #1
killik

Trinidad & Tobago

Hi all.
I will be visiting T&T in a couple of months.
I would love to get a new field guide for the area, and am looking
for reccomendations from anyone who has been to this area.
thanks in advance.
Andrew.
Old Wednesday 17th June 2009, 17:57   #2
Jon Turner

There's only one candidate:

Martyn Kenefick's guide 'Birds of Trinidad and Tobago'

It's a Helm field guide and excellent in the field.

The previous guide was heavy and had poor colour plates.

We loved the place, and visited both islands recording 197 species an a little over 2 weeks, AND saw leatherback turtles laying eggs too!

Jon
Old Thursday 18th June 2009, 02:46   #3
Dave B Smith

Agree with Jon on the field guide. The other useful book for directions to good birding locations is 'A Birdwatcher's Guide to T&T' by Bill Murphy. His website also gives lots of useful info. Any specific info you're looking for feel free to PM me.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd June 2009, 19:44   #4
killik

Re: Trinidad and Tobago Guides

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the response. I have a little bit of confusion regarding the reccomended guuide. Amazon shows two, almost identical. They have the same picture on the cover, but the one available for immediate delivery doesn't have the Helms labal on the cover, and is titled "Field Guide to the Birds of T&T" and has Kenefick's name listed at the top of the 3 authors.
The one with the Helms logo on the cover is titled "Birds of T&T" has Kenefick's name 2nd on the list of authors, and will not ship for 3 to 6 weeks.
The cost is virtually identical. I'm guessing that the Helms one is sold primarily in the UK, and the other the US version, but am not sure. I'd hate to get the wrong one based on a guess. So any clarification would be most welcome.
Thanks.
Andrew
Old Monday 22nd June 2009, 20:32   #5
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I have no doubt that these are essentially the same, and as you say, intended for the two different sides of the pond.

I have a Caribbean bird book (the hardcover version of the Raffaele guide) which occur in two versions just like this one, but once opening the book, the two versions are indistinguishable.

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: